Cheikh Mbacke Diong (C) | The Boneyard

Cheikh Mbacke Diong (C)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We offered him back in December, and he's been flying up the rankings over the last few months. 6-foot-11, long-armed rim-running center who's just 17, and started playing basketball at age 13 (so earlier than Brimah, but still later than most US kids). 247 have him as a 4-star recruit now, and he was unranked back in November.

GREAT article on him, and the Senegalese pipeline to South Florida HERE. Worth a read for sure.

Louisville, Pitt, Memphis and a few others have all offered him. Louisville are considered favorites, but considering they already have six big men on next year's team I'm thinking they can be beat.

I don't know how hard we're recruiting this kid, and I'd rather have a postgrad for next year. But given his age and upside... one in the hand is worth two on the wing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We offered him back in December, and he's been flying up the rankings over the last few months. 6-foot-11, long-armed rim-running center who's just 17, and started playing basketball at age 13 (so earlier than Brimah, but still later than most US kids). 247 have him as a 4-star recruit now, and he was unranked back in November.

GREAT article on him, and the Senegalese pipeline to South Florida HERE. Worth a read for sure.

Louisville, Pitt, Memphis and a few others have all offered him. Louisville are considered favorites, but considering they already have six big men on next year's team I'm thinking they can be beat.

I don't know how hard we're recruiting this kid, and I'd rather have a postgrad for next year. But given his age and upside.. one in the hand is worth two on the wing.

I'm not sold on just any postgrad big. I think Ollie and staff stands a better chance of developing an athletic big with good hands, who slots in behind/rotates in with what we have now, than stunting Enoch and Durham by bringing in someone to take their PT. Unless that big is simply overwhelming (and if they are they are entering the draft), go for a guy like this who will be with you a minimum of 3 yrs.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on just any postgrad big. I think Ollie and staff stands a better chance of developing an athletic big with good hands, who slots in behind/rotates in with what we have now, than stunting Enoch and Durham by bringing in someone to take their PT. Unless that big is simply overwhelming (and if they are they are entering the draft), go for a guy like this who will be with you a minimum of 3 yrs.

I agree. Personally I enjoy watching players develop and don't get much pleasure from 5th year one-year rentals. More importantly, I think for KO's career and UConn's future, it's important to build a track record of grooming NBA players. Starting with a raw but athletic and talented player, and developing him for four years into an NBA draft pick, is a home run for us in the long run.

The reason postgrad bigs are available, and not entering the draft, is that they have no NBA future. They can fill a hole for a year but will at best be a forgettable player.

It's different for guards, there are a lot of great perimeter players who just aren't quite tall enough or athletic enough to make the NBA, but can be a star in college. Lasan Kromah was a great get for us. I don't think we'd get similar value from a postgrad big.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I agree. Personally I enjoy watching players develop and don't get much pleasure from 5th year one-year rentals. More importantly, I think for KO's career and UConn's future, it's important to build a track record of grooming NBA players. Starting with a raw but athletic and talented player, and developing him for four years into an NBA draft pick, is a home run for us in the long run.

The reason postgrad bigs are available, and not entering the draft, is that they have no NBA future. They can fill a hole for a year but will at best be a forgettable player.

It's different for guards, there are a lot of great perimeter players who just aren't quite tall enough or athletic enough to make the NBA, but can be a star in college. Lasan Kromah was a great get for us. I don't think we'd get similar value from a postgrad big.

Miller was a good player.

pj

Reaction Score
Miller was a good player.

Yes ... and he filled a hole for a year, though he may have set back Facey's development. Still I'd be happy if we'd gotten a Mbacke Diong instead of Miller.

Reaction Score
Yes .. and he filled a hole for a year, though he may have set back Facey's development. Still I'd be happy if we'd gotten a Mbacke Diong instead of Miller.

We don't make the tourney or beat Colorado without Miller, can't agree.

I'm happier with a grad-transfer big who is getting 8 and 6 somewhere and can fill mines and take space next year, understands the game. The players are in place everywhere else, providing growth and health.

pj

Reaction Score
We don't make the tourney or beat Colorado without Miller, can't agree.

I'm happier with a grad-transfer big who is getting 8 and 6 somewhere and can fill mines and take space next year, understands the game. The players are in place everywhere else, providing growth and health.

I understand, you don't turn down a Shonn Miller when you have a scholarship available late and no good alternative prospects. It's true we don't make the tourney or win the first round game that year without him. He was a good contributor, and if you are in good with elite prospects the following class and want to have a scholarship open up in 1 year, a player like Shonn is a great addition.

But, assuming an alternative high school prospect with NBA potential was available, you have to count the other side of the ledger. We'd have performed better this year with one more big on the roster with a year under his belt, and Facey with more experience. Shonn Miller was undrafted and is now averaging 12 minutes per game, 3 points, 3 rebounds, for a 12-24 team in the D-league, Shonn Miller D-League Stats, Greensboro Swarm, News, Rumors, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Game Logs, Bests, Awards - RealGM. His chances of ever making the NBA are slim. So he doesn't contribute to building KO's NBA development track record, which is key to his future recruiting. There are opportunity costs to taking the low-risk, low-reward Shonn Miller over a high-risk, high potential upside high school athlete.

That year, there was a good case for taking Shonn Miller because Miller's year, we didn't have high school bigs with Louisville offers as potential alternatives. I'm less convinced that this year it would be prudent to take any of the 5th year bigs @Matrim55 has been promoting over a high school prospect like Diong. I didn't see any players as good as Shonn Miller on Matrim's list, though there were a few big bodies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand, you don't turn down a Shonn Miller when you have a scholarship available late and no good alternative prospects. It's true we don't make the tourney or win the first round game that year without him. He was a good contributor, and if you are in good with elite prospects the following class and want to have a scholarship open up in 1 year, a player like Shonn is a great addition.

But, assuming an alternative high school prospect with NBA potential was available, you have to count the other side of the ledger. We'd have performed better this year with one more big on the roster with a year under his belt, and Facey with more experience. Shonn Miller was undrafted and is now averaging 12 minutes per game, 3 points, 3 rebounds, for a 12-24 team in the D-league, Shonn Miller D-League Stats, Greensboro Swarm, News, Rumors, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Game Logs, Bests, Awards - RealGM. His chances of ever making the NBA are slim. So he doesn't contribute to building KO's NBA development track record, which is key to his future recruiting. There are opportunity costs to taking the low-risk, low-reward Shonn Miller over a high-risk, high potential upside high school athlete.

That year, there was a good case for taking Shonn Miller because Miller's year, we didn't have high school bigs with Louisville offers as potential alternatives. I'm less convinced that this year it would be prudent to take any of the 5th year bigs @Matrim55 has been promoting over a high school prospect like Diong. I didn't see any players as good as Shonn Miller on Matrim's list, though there were a few big bodies.

I hear you but what a Shonn Miller does on the college level has nothing at all to do with his next level potential. He is/was a very good college player and we need those types. Would love to have all of them be NBA bound but such is not the case, so good, solid contributors of all kinds are required. We need an experienced big body in the middle, doesn't have to be great could be a space eater who can guard the low block, rebound in his minutes and make a jump shot or jump hook on occasion. Or even better one of those bigs I see in other games that can step out and make a jump shot. Not saying they are available but our need is not for an NBA ready guy or even a super college player, a one year contributor with size so we have multiple options there is fine. Not sure we will get that but would love to see it happen.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

The only thing that counts is winning.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only thing that counts is winning.
Who is saying things differently? The point pj is making is that there is no 5th yr player in his opinion that improves UConn's chances next year and taking one would eliminate a hs player who is a late developer and could help UConn three years from now. I'm on the fence between @pj and @Matrim55 because I don't know the players well enough. And even they could be wrong. Both bring compelling arguments to the table. Only a person who is astute in reading ouija boards has a perfect handle on this.

pj

Reaction Score
Who is saying things differently? The point pj is making is that there is no 5th yr player in his opinion that improves UConn's chances next year and taking one would eliminate a hs player who is a late developer and could help UConn three years from now. I'm on the fence between @pj and @Matrim55 because I don't know the players well enough. And even they could be wrong. Both bring compelling arguments to the table. Only a person who is astute in reading ouija boards has a perfect handle on this.

I could certainly be wrong, I trust the coaching staff's judgment, not my own. This is just uninformed message board speculation and philosophizing.

I like our staff's judgment, I think they've already shown good scouting talent. They've gotten in early on a lot of good players who have later blown up. Hopefully they can start closing them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I could certainly be wrong, I trust the coaching staff's judgment, not my own. This is just uninformed message board speculation and philosophizing.

I like our staff's judgment, I think they've already shown good scouting talent. They've gotten in early on a lot of good players who have later blown up. Hopefully they can start closing them.
The ouija board comment was with regards to posters who second guess the staff when things go wrong. Neither you or @Matrim55 go there. I enjoy the developed opinion that you two posters make regarding recruiting.

The remainder of this season can only benefit UConn. As it stands now the injury narrative is strong in recruits eyes. If UConn still struggles the injury card gets played by the staff.

But what if we, along with the world, get shocked and this team can get into the NCAA tournament or get into and make a long run in the NIT. That would be a huge boost for UConn with regards to recruiting. The story would be incredible to say the least.

So let's beat Memphis Thursday and see how things play out.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Here's why I agree with @Matrim55...
Next yr's team should be LOADED 1-4. Assuming a starting lineup of Gilbert, Adams, Larrier, Jackson, Durham/Enoch. The weakest link is the 4/5.
Getting a solid/serviceable guy to play the 5 and rebound and protect the rim would be HUGE. Especially for a team as loaded on the perimeter as UConn will be.

Adams will take a step forward and hopefully keeps improving. Larrier should come back and be what he was. Even if he's 90% of what he was that'd be great. Gilbert had an upper body injury and would really help to push the tempo. His legs are still good...and if I'm not mistaken the shoulder he hurt was his off shoulder. Vital and Jackson are getting so much good playing time this yr, they'll be great pieces next yr. MAL should be a good piece off the bench as well. Hopefully Durham keeps getting better. He's obviously our most skilled big.

The one missing piece is a big rebounding machine. Hopefully Enoch is that. I just cant count on it. I think they get an experienced rebounder/rim protector and make a deep run.

pj

Reaction Score
Here's why I agree with @Matrim55..
Next yr's team should be LOADED 1-4. Assuming a starting lineup of Gilbert, Adams, Larrier, Jackson, Durham/Enoch. The weakest link is the 4/5.
Getting a solid/serviceable guy to play the 5 and rebound and protect the rim would be HUGE. Especially for a team as loaded on the perimeter as UConn will be.

Adams will take a step forward and hopefully keeps improving. Larrier should come back and be what he was. Even if he's 90% of what he was that'd be great. Gilbert had an upper body injury and would really help to push the tempo. His legs are still good..and if I'm not mistaken the shoulder he hurt was his off shoulder. Vital and Jackson are getting so much good playing time this yr, they'll be great pieces next yr. MAL should be a good piece off the bench as well. Hopefully Durham keeps getting better. He's obviously our most skilled big.

The one missing piece is a big rebounding machine. Hopefully Enoch is that. I just cant count on it. I think they get an experienced rebounder/rim protector and make a deep run.

A few differences in perspective:
1. I see the problem as at the 5 only. I want Durham, Larrier, and Vance Jackson to be getting all the time at the 4 spot. Jackson should develop an inside game and a small, quick lineup with 3 of Gilbert/Adams/MAL/Vital and one of Larrier/Jackson/Durham plus a center will be our best lineup.
2. I see the available 5th year centers as being not much better, if at all, than Enoch with another year's development. I also think Carlton can be competitive. So I see them as mainly adding depth. A 3rd player good at different things lets the coaches switch up based on matchups, and you also have more fouls to give and players are more rested, so it would add value, but I'm not sure it adds as much as a younger player you can develop.
3. Next year's team is very talented but I think you may be discounting the difficulties of integrating, 5 new players into the Adams/Jackson/Vital/Enoch/Durham core, especially given that Jackson, Enoch, and Durham are still finding their roles on this year's time and learning college ball. Chemistry is going to take a while to develop. We also don't know if all the injuries will be fully healed.

In short I see next year's team as a fun team, a quality team, a great team to watch develop and grow, and hope to see a deep run in the tourney, but I don't see it as a title contender, with or without any available 5th year centers. I think the title hopes will come the following year. Unfortunately we'll probably lose a superstar in Jalen before then.

Reaction Score
Hope Diarra comes back healthy next year too. He's short, but has a 7'2 wingspan and was known for his motor.

He averaged 11.3 PPG, 7.2 REB, and 1.5 BLK for the NY Jayhawks (2015 AAU) in about 20 minutes per game. He could be a mean small ball center without suffering on the glass.

Reaction Score
Hope Diarra comes back healthy next year too. He's short, but has a 7'2 wingspan and was known for his motor.

He averaged 11.3 PPG, 7.2 REB, and 1.5 BLK for the NY Jayhawks (2015 AAU) in about 20 minutes per game. He could be a mean small ball center without suffering on the glass.

On twitter:
Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 9m9 minutes ago
Mamadou Diarra is working into the practice mix more lately. Ollie said he expects Diarra to be "full go" in the near future.

looking good as of now

Reaction Score
On twitter:
Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 9m9 minutes ago
Mamadou Diarra is working into the practice mix more lately. Ollie said he expects Diarra to be "full go" in the near future.

looking good as of now
As in this season? If that's the case I don't really get it. Is it worth burning his red shirt year for him to play in a few meaningless games down the stretch?

Reaction Score
Probably means a full go in practice. Ollie's not going to be pulling a Diaco.
That would make the most sense, I figured Ollie was smart enough to not waste a redshirt year

pj

Reaction Score
Let him go in practice, see how good he is. If he can add value, why not play him. In basketball there are options to play abroad, it's not necessarily in the player's interest to play 5 years in college the way it is in football. No real football alternatives to the NFL, so you want to get as much time in college as you can. Not so in basketball.

And it's not like we've got depth to spare.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just something that occurred to me as I read all of the responses: this thread may be the most civil, informed and thoughtful I've read on the BY yet. Cheers to you all!

Reaction Score
Let him go in practice, see how good he is. If he can add value, why not play him. In basketball there are options to play abroad, it's not necessarily in the player's interest to play 5 years in college the way it is in football. No real football alternatives to the NFL, so you want to get as much time in college as you can. Not so in basketball.

And it's not like we've got depth to spare.
I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that he would help this year, especially given the lack of depth we have right now. But I'm still not sure that it would be worth it. Facey averaged 5 minutes a game his freshman year, obviously not a perfect comparison, but imagine if we had redshirted him that year and we had another year of this year's level of production back for another year.

Obviously Diarra reaching Facey's 2016/17 levels of production is far from a given, but to me the rewards of a full RS Senior year of Diarra outweighs the rewards of adding him for the conference tournament games this season

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
A few differences in perspective:
1. I see the problem as at the 5 only. I want Durham, Larrier, and Vance Jackson to be getting all the time at the 4 spot. Jackson should develop an inside game and a small, quick lineup with 3 of Gilbert/Adams/MAL/Vital and one of Larrier/Jackson/Durham plus a center will be our best lineup.
2. I see the available 5th year centers as being not much better, if at all, than Enoch with another year's development. I also think Carlton can be competitive. So I see them as mainly adding depth. A 3rd player good at different things lets the coaches switch up based on matchups, and you also have more fouls to give and players are more rested, so it would add value, but I'm not sure it adds as much as a younger player you can develop.
3. Next year's team is very talented but I think you may be discounting the difficulties of integrating, 5 new players into the Adams/Jackson/Vital/Enoch/Durham core, especially given that Jackson, Enoch, and Durham are still finding their roles on this year's time and learning college ball. Chemistry is going to take a while to develop. We also don't know if all the injuries will be fully healed.

In short I see next year's team as a fun team, a quality team, a great team to watch develop and grow, and hope to see a deep run in the tourney, but I don't see it as a title contender, with or without any available 5th year centers. I think the title hopes will come the following year. Unfortunately we'll probably lose a superstar in Jalen before then.
Im just not that concerned about integrating new players. I think the problem we had early this yr was guys couldn't make any shots. Purvis was in a gigantic shooting slump and Vital and Jackson were getting used to the pace of the game. Larrier looked legit as did Gilbert.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom