OT: - Cheeseburger and Fries Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Cheeseburger and Fries Thread

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was in Orlando last week and went to The Cowfish Burger Sushi Bar. I ordered a Burgushi (Sushi Roll with a cheeseburger inside) and it was emotional.

Never heard of it, so had to look it up.
122b675aea56e8c81fe3841b7a167f63.png

Appears very appetizing. But the rice has to go. Insert matchstick fries and we're talking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fries of any style can be done right.

Biggest problem is fries go soggy fast.

Any good fry has to have the right ratio of crunchy outside to fluffy inside. I don't know the science or the cooking for temps, surface area, oil type, salt/seasoning, etc. I do know a good fry regardless of genre should have a nice crunch on the outside and be hot and steamy on the inside.

Reaction Score
Here are my rankings. Note: I'm talking about the actual fry only. Not poutine. Not disco fries. Not truffle fries. Solely the cut of the fry here.

1. Shoestring
  2. Standard cut
  3. Jo Jo Potatoes - The sleeper in fried potatoes.
  4. Tater Tots
  5. Crinkle cut
  6. Curly fries
  7. Sweet Potato fries
  8. Steak fries
  9. Waffle Cut fries

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Any good fry has to have the right ratio of crunchy outside to fluffy inside. I don't know the science or the cooking for temps, surface area, oil type, salt/seasoning, etc. I do know a good fry regardless of genre should have a nice crunch on the outside and be hot and steamy on the inside.

fully agreed. Which is why I dont care for shoe strings.

And I dont mind waffle and steak, because when fresh and hot they check your boxes as well as anything. When not, they are the cold suck.

Reaction Score
Overrated compared to what though? I had my first one in November. Double, fries, drink came out to around $8.25. And compared to other burgers/fries/soda combos around $8.25, I'd put it at least in top two.

to the overhype of how amazing it is. Yeah they keep their burgers cheap, the fries/soda dont matter if we are talking about cheeseburgers.

Reaction Score
Here are my rankings. Note: I'm talking about the actual fry only. Not poutine. Not disco fries. Not truffle fries. Solely the cut of the fry here.

1. Shoestring
  2. Standard cut
  3. Jo Jo Potatoes - The sleeper in fried potatoes.
  4. Tater Tots
  5. Crinkle cut
  6. Curly fries
  7. Sweet Potato fries
  8. Steak fries
  9. Waffle Cut fries
Tater tots are not french fries you heathen

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Is that Ketchup I see on top?

Yeah, missed the ketchup. Maybe it's an "Asian fushion" ketchup concoction.

But this freaking "High Class Hillbilly" thing looks amazing. I don't usually go for deep fried stuff, but this could be hard to resist:

Still don't want the rice, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you are beating me now.
You should try my french fry based diet for the last few pounds. I buy bags of Nathan's fries every time I'm at the grocery store. Can't beat it for $2.77/bag. They are much better than the ones they serve at their restaurant. Not as soggy if you cook them long enough

Reaction Score
Yeah I only go very rarely now. Maybe 6 or 8 times per year. I swear they also mess up my order twice a year. It never happens anywhere else.
Dunkin’ Donuts always messes up my order. Basically, if it’s a teenage kid working, I can be as specific as humanly possible about the milk/cream and I’m still getting a cup of white liquid that tastes like simple syrup.

As for burgers, I just keep my expectations low. They never blow me away and I won’t get mad when they don’t.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes there is.

LA loaded with Jewish people. Good Deli is necessary. Canters is an institution. Would be at home in NYC.
My introduction to LA was traveling west for Passover seders at my then-girlfriend's New York transplant parents' home. Imagine Canter's, Langer's, and, to get back to the OP, Apple Pan during a week without bread. The ratio Jewish to Jew-ish got tested & tweaked, but the mid-day arrival, with the 'extra' hours on the time zone shift, made that first afternoon fair game for all.

Reaction Score
Ill mark this thread and come back to it because I got a meat grinding attachment for my Kitchen-Aid and have only played around with it a couple times. I did a Chuck and Brisket mix and grind last week, and it was good but it wasnt as good as I thought it should be or expected it to be. I need to experiment with the fat ratios in the grind and the Chuck to Brisket ratios. Plus the grind itself wasnt at the consitency I wanted.

Way harder than I thought it would be. Lots of work. But a cheeseburger begins and ends with the beef. Would like to fine tune it to a standard and then forget about it and just have a good grind recipe. Going to take a while, dont have the calories or time to spare.

Prime 16 -New Haven
Haywire - Westbrook
Jack Rabbits - old saybrook

I found it very difficult to assess fat levels in my self-ground meat. Most instructions just tell you to look for the amount of white stuff, but that's both difficult and very imprecise. If you find a good resource, let me know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Joining this thread a bit late. Fan of burgers home and away.

Home: About 85%-90% Lean, none of those 80% grease bombs, or dry 95% burgers. Grilled to medium-medium rare for me and my daughter, medium-rare to rare for my wife. Seasoning: nothing. Maybe salt and pepper. There is nothing more annoying than people putting onion soup mix or other stuff in a burger. LoL White American cheese added.

Away: Best is Worthy Burger in Vermont. Worthy Burger — Worthy Vermont
Several other Vermont spots offer similar fantastic grass fed beer burgers. Like this one. Farmhouse Tap & Grill: World Class Beer & Farm-To-Table Fare
Fast food burgers, including In-n-Out, are generally a let down. Five Guys is overly grease soaked and cooked medium well. Even a Red Robin can provide a better burger. If they don't cook to order, it's not going to be a great burger.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I found it very difficult to assess fat levels in my self-ground meat. Most instructions just tell you to look for the amount of white stuff, but that's both difficult and very imprecise. If you find a good resource, let me know.

Im actually thinking about using a scale and trimming all fat of the Brisket and chuck and then weighing and using weight ratios. Will test and let you know. Only problem there is properly mixing the fat back in evenly on the grind.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wait what?!? Catsup and Mustard went out of business??? That place used to absolutely jam
I agree, I used to live near there and was never disappointed. I guess there was some business management issues.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So who make good fries besides nobody? I haven't had a good fry since Jack's at the Northampton Fair. And I haven't been there since they stopped racing horses.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So who make good fries besides nobody? I haven't had a good fry since Jack's at the Northampton Fair. And I haven't been there since they stopped racing horses.
Beer Collective in New Haven has great fries and a solid burger.

Rudy's in New Haven has excellent Belgian frites and a full complement of dipping sauces. I see that Prime 16 now has a similar "pommes frites" menu but I haven't eaten there since they introduced it so I can't speak to the quality.

Union League in New Haven also has excellent frites, but I don't expect many people would go there just for them.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Bar 140 in Shelton makes really good fries. You can order them in a giant bowl to share with the whole table as an appetizer, and they have a variety of different dipping sauces that are really good. Very good beer selection, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom