Check out this brilliance on twitter | The Boneyard

Check out this brilliance on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i dunno who posted it but my friend who's an nba fan posted it

I've always wondered: Do people that prefer CBB to NBA also prefer High School hoops over College hoops? Where does one draw the line?​

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Heard that one a 1000 times. For me, we have no NBA franchise in Cincinnati and the Pacers (2 hours away) and Cavs (4 hours away) have no presence in this city so I have no attachment to any franchise. When I was growing up we were always ranked in the top 10 and the games were always sold out and from December on, the biggest thing in this city. Add in the rivalries, unique postseason and the perfect number of games in a season (82 is too long for me to follow) and you have the perfect recipe for fandom.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I am a huge college hoops fan but hate the NBA. I stopped being a fan in the early 90's when the Jordan, Bird, Magic Era ended. I grew up a Sixers fan because of Dr. J, Malone, and Barkley. I don't feel the connection anymore. Now I just root for Huskies in the NBA to succeed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As a kid I liked the Knicks, then fell in love with the Nets. I've despised the NBA since it crushed the Nets by forcing the sale of Dr. J to the Sixers. Haven't cared much about it since other than watching a few MJ titles and a handful of Curry games recently. I switched to hockey in time for the Islanders dynasty.

I imagine if I went to Rutgers or BC instead of UConn, I probably wouldn't follow hoops at all :)

Come to think of it, I'll probably stop buying season tix for the Pirates if the NL adopts the DH. Get off my lawn.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the explanation is that NBA teams simply can't replicate the attachment NCAA basketball teams have from their fans. The level of play is lower, but people get wholeheartedly invested into their college teams.

Reaction Score
I haven't cared much about the NBA since Dolan started owning the Knicks, ill check up on our Uconn guys, or watch the GSW. The playoffs ill watch, because I can't get into baseball in April.

Reaction Score
Im sure even Barkley will tell ya he would take CBB over NBA.

Reaction Score
College: The passion and connection fans have to the schools, rivalries, unique tournament format

NBA: Style and quality of play, watching the best players in the world

Reaction Score
I'm simply a basketball fan.

I understand why people are more connected to their favorite college teams (as I am), and nothing beats the excitement of March Madness. And I love watching the NBA to see the game played at its highest level.

Why discriminate?

Reaction Score
NBA is all about the players. To a ridiculous level. College is about the school.

Always will love college hoops better. Not even close.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I prefer college over NBA because my school is good at college basketball and I feel connected to the program because it was such a big deal at the school. There's no other reason. I'm sure if Hartford had an NBA team I would care. It's the only sport in which I prefer college over pro. I hope our UConn guys do well in the NBA, but once they leave here, I don't watch and don't really pay attention.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
One of the major appeals of CBB over the NBA for me is the very fact that the level of play is inferior. There is so much more in the way of unpredictable plays, crazy endings, and upsets because there are more mistakes.

When I watch the NBA it looks too easy. The average basket registers barely any applause or cheers. The pace is often slow and the players seem so nonchalant. I feel like I can just tune in for the final 2 minutes of a close game and not really miss anything. And unlike the do-or-die games of the NCAA Tournament, a best of 7 series is always going to favor the better team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I've always wondered: Do people that prefer CBB to NBA also prefer High School hoops over College hoops? Where does one draw the line?​

Across the United States there are 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools.

No idea of the number of basketball teams, but it has to be well into the 5000s. There is no national tournament. And most teams don't play outside their league or state.

There are 351 D1 Men's basketball teams and anyone can play anyone. There is a national tournament. Many of these kids will become Pro basketball players, and so have a future in the sport.

Also, naturally, the gap in play between highschool and college, vs college and pro, is larger. That's just a numbers/athletic ability thing.

It's really, really not that hard.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Well, in my state (Massachusetts), high school basketball is better than college basketball, so ... Yes.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I'll take Uconn BB over NBA and NFL . If a Uconn alum is in the NBA playoffs
I'll watch. 1. Uconn BB 2. Philly Eagles 3. NBA playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics