OT: cheating at Duke???? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: cheating at Duke????

Reaction Score
This has been kept so very quiet. The NCAA must be working undercover so that when they nail Duke, they will have piles of evidence to punish them. The penalty will be something like " we will look the other way again and look to punish UConn once more, especially if they have the nerve to beat you again. Keep up the good work Mike.

Reaction Score
uh oh.....
Can't wait to see how the NCAA says there's nothing to see here or how it is out beyond their realm of influence.

Reaction Score
uh oh.....
They will keep appealing until the get a judge that went to Duke.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how the NCAA says there's nothing to see here or how it is out beyond their realm of influence.
The NCAA does not want to interfere with active litigation. Accordingly we will take no action while the Zion Williamson matter is pending in the courts. (... and we hope that you will forget about it by the time it is out of appeals five years from now.)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
You doom and gloom folks, as it pertains to this, are likely right and nothing will happen. But I will dream of something greater and try to enjoy whatever mud Puke gets dragged through in the process.

Reaction Score
Love the reasoning being used by the lawyers suing Zion for breach of contract. Could this be the stake in Duke's heart so many have longed for?

For those who don't want to read the whole article, the agent that sued Zion for breach of contract is alleging that the laws cited by Zion's lawyers as his defense do not apply because he/his family were paid before/while at Duke so he thus was not an amateur athlete at the time he signed with the first agent. The purpose of this statute is to protect student-athletes -- actual student-athletes, eligible student-athletes -- from predatory behavior of agents. It's not designed to protect people that are already accepting improper benefits.

Stages of this potentially "delicious" drama:
-Zion signed with an agent;
-Zion later decided to sign with a much more prominent and prestigious agent;
-First agent sued for breach of contract;
-Zion's lawyers tell judge the first contract wasn't valid because Ford (the original agent) wasn't a registered agent in North Carolina and the contract didn't include a warning that was required by a state law designed to protect amateur athletes from unscrupulous agents;
-Ford's lawyers say the law doesn't apply because Zion wasn't an amateur by virtue of the money he/his family received, so the state laws in question don't apply. Ford's lawyers state: "If you're accepting improper benefits, you are not an eligible student-athlete, and the NCAA can rule retroactively that you are ineligible";
-Now we'll see just how much integrity (cough, cough) the NCAA has if Zion admits under oath that his family was paid before and/or while he was a "student athlete" at Duke.

Details follow:
Florida 11th Circuit Court Judge David Miller ruled that Williamson will be required to answer interrogatories and requests for admissions from attorneys representing Gina Ford and Prime Sports Marketing, who are suing Williamson for $100 million for breaching their marketing agreement.

Williamson's attorneys have asked a federal judge in that case to void his marketing agreement with Ford and Prime Sports Marketing, claiming it wasn't valid because Ford wasn't a registered agent in North Carolina and the contract didn't include a warning that was required by a state law designed to protect amateur athletes from unscrupulous agents.

Doug Eaton, one of the Ford's attorneys, argued that the North Carolina law wouldn't apply to Williamson if he were not eligible when he played for the Blue Devils.

"The NCAA is not the final arbiter of that issue," Eaton told Miller. "We're able to establish that he was not eligible during that time frame, which would be a defense to their claim that our contract was invalid. The purpose of this statute is to protect student-athletes -- actual student-athletes, eligible student-athletes -- from predatory behavior of agents. It's not designed to protect people that are already accepting improper benefits.

"If you're accepting improper benefits, you are not an eligible student-athlete, and the NCAA can rule retroactively that you are ineligible. It has happened numerous times before. ... This is not a set-in-stone determination that he's an eligible student-athlete, and we have the opportunity to prove that he was not eligible in that time frame, and that's what we're going to do."

Reaction Score
Not sue what will happen to Zion but you can be sure K and Duke will be absolved of any knowledge and wrong doing. At worst they may have to void some wins but I wouldn't hold my breath. Does everyone who goes to Duke board in facilities like this?
EI5UMtsXkAEe9L5.jpg

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Not exactly on point but close enough

Oh yeah Duke and UNCAA are really worried about an open marketplace. It would ruin the closed marketplace they have now!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
He’s not wrong, but I agree that dukes history impairs its ability to moralize.

Reaction Score
So this law puts Duke at a disadvantage in recruiting? Someone break it down please.

Reaction Score
Saw this just now. Ford is getting into some action and Coach K looking not so fresh and sqeaky.

Reaction Score
Few takeaways for me from all this:

1. Duke did their own investigation and found Zion clean. How did they miss Zions family suddenly becoming rich out of nowhere? This looks obvious as a huge coverup from the whole university, and think multiple people deserve to lose their jobs even outside the basketball staff. But in the end, I’m sure they’ll target some student coach as a scapegoat...

2. Notre Dame should be pissed and needs to rejoin the big east. They get screwed while Duke, UNC, Louisville, NC state and Co. In their conference continue to cheat and dominate basketball. Seriously, looking at the ACC, they’re up there in terms of being the biggest cheaters around in basketball.

3. People all over the sport keep saying things like these athletes deserve to be paid anyways, or Zion is underpaid even if all this stuff is true. 100% agreed here, but at the same time, it screws over the coaches/programs trying to compete the fair way, and lots of them lose jobs over it. Who knows, maybe a guy like Danny Manning would still have a job at Wake if all these other Carolina schools (and other schools) weren’t cheating the system.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I didn't think I could hate Duke (and Laettner) anymore than I already do but I continue to surprise myself. If this gets swept under the carpet, its one of the most blatant double standards I've ever seen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was it so hard to wait 1 year before living like kings? :confused:

Reaction Score
This will all come out and the truth will be exposed........about 10 years after K dies. No way will the NCAA, Nike, or the ACC allow Coach Wooden, I mean K, to go down for this.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
From #24/7Grind:
Duke doesn’t cheat, they have people cheat for them. They have mastered “plausible” deniability.
Even that doesn't allow a smooth ride down the road forever, eventually some potholes and detour signs show up out of nowhere

Notre Dame should be pissed and needs to rejoin the big east. They get screwed while Duke, UNC, Louisville, NC state and Co. In their conference continue to cheat and dominate basketball

Screw Notre Dame - their "we are above the rules of conferences" has caused issues and pain to many other schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom