OT: Cheap shots | The Boneyard

OT: Cheap shots

Reaction Score
Love to hear everyone's take on Gronk getting just one game for his cheap shot yesterday? Heard Steve Young tonight say that one game won't stop others from taking that same blatant shot at someone when "frustrated", but a month off will make them think about it. The guys in concussion protocol, this is Burfict-like and no one is saying anything, it's crazy.

And Evans for the Bucs? Awful stuff started by punk finger pointing by the famous QB.

Needs to stop.

Reaction Score
The seemingly unprovoked nature of it was especially alarming. You see it with guys with histories like OBJ and Josh Norman, or when there was some kind of earlier altercation, or some kind of blatant provocation. I don’t think 1 game is enough

Just doesn’t belong in sports, period

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The seemingly unprovoked nature of it was especially alarming. You see it with guys with histories like OBJ and Josh Norman, or when there was some kind of earlier altercation, or some kind of blatant provocation. I don’t think 1 game is enough

What are you saying, a guy who doesn't have a history should get the same as a guy who does? That doesn't make any sense. Repeat offenders should always get more.

As to why he lost his cool, they were holding him all game, and Gronk didn't keep his cool. Really dumb arse, weak move. One of the reasons I like Gronk is he's an unabashed meathead. Unfortunately, meatheads do meathead stuff. And he is paying a price for it.

Reaction Score
NFL is once again proving they are full of cr@p, they could care less about head trauma. Haven't watched a game this season and don't miss it at all.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
BE18CFEE-2B23-4E94-8CA3-3E42DD503B1D.jpeg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Love to hear everyone's take on Gronk getting just one game for his cheap shot yesterday? Heard Steve Young tonight say that one game won't stop others from taking that same blatant shot at someone when "frustrated", but a month off will make them think about it.

Guys take cheap shots all the time. And it sucks every single time. And Gronk chose that moment to do it. He rightly should be suspended for it.

It's not Burfict like though, in that, when I think of Burfict, I think of repeated offenses over and over again, throughout even the course of a single game. Probably should be in NFL jail at this point.

The guys in concussion protocol

As far as what the outcome is, you can't base suspensions off of that. What if a player slightly shoves a player down after the play, and he inadvertently breaks his neck. It's a penalty, but doesn't deserve a lengthy suspension.

Or a guy could practically kill somebody, but the other player doesn't get hurt.

The only thing that can be considered is that action at hand.

And Evans for the Bucs? Awful stuff started by punk finger pointing by the famous QB.

Who cares what preceded it? The hit was the problem. You are supposed to be able to keep your cool, even if somebody pokes you in the helmet with a finger.

As far as Gronk's 1 game suspension, the NFL set the bar this year with 1 game for Evan's hit against Lattimore. So it is what it is from that standpoint.

NFL could/should do more for after the play infractions or for dirty in game late hits. I've always thought they could fine these guys something meaningful, rather than the .000005% of their contract. Hit them for 15% of their yearly salary. That would stop guys pretty quick. NFLPA would never agree to that though.

How many game suspension or what counts as that type of offense is a tough call. Because every case is so different. I don't have an answer for that.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I heard about it and so the video on line. Thinking of a "bang bang" play, I was shocked to see the play dead, he comes over and lands a big time wrestling move. No call for that. Way too much drama in the NFL this year. Cannot wait for it's end this year. Maybe everyone will kick back and think of the year.Hopefully many think how stupid they acted and start the new year right. However Kapernick got so many end of year accolades. Many trophies on his mantel. However none in football. Like the NAACP Man of The Year.

Reaction Score
So like you have boycotted every major sport at this point. What do you watch? Curling?
I don't watch the NFL or regular season hockey. It's not a boycott just think the product absolutely sucks now compared to what it used to be, no interest in sitting through games anymore.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't watch the NFL or regular season hockey. It's not a boycott just think the product absolutely sucks now compared to what it used to be, no interest in sitting through games anymore.
Are you still watching college hoops except for UConn?

Reaction Score
I heard about it and so the video on line. Thinking of a "bang bang" play, I was shocked to see the play dead, he comes over and lands a big time wrestling move. No call for that. Way too much drama in the NFL this year. Cannot wait for it's end this year. Maybe everyone will kick back and think of the year.Hopefully many think how stupid they acted and start the new year right. However Kapernick got so many end of year accolades. Many trophies on his mantel. However none in football. Like the NAACP Man of The Year.

confused-face-derp.jpg

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
As a Pats fan I didn't think much of it while watching the game other than he deserved a penalty. In hindsight and after watching the replay several times in think the penalty was definitely not severe enough. 4 games minimum would have been more appropriate, and honestly they could use this play to propose season ending penalties going forward. The NFL needs to do more to protect players and a cheap shot like that could have lasting effects on a person. It's not about if Gronk is a good person or not. He made a terrible decision and should face a much stiffer penalty

Reaction Score
What are you saying, a guy who doesn't have a history should get the same as a guy who does? That doesn't make any sense. Repeat offenders should always get more.
Nah man all I was trying to do there is highlight the unprovoked nature of it, and how we don’t really see it compared to those other contexts in which we have almost come to expect some more dirty hits now and then. The OBJ-Norman thing was almost part of sport drama; this was a huge person throwing a tantrum on and concussing a smaller defenseless player who had done nothing to provoke what he received.

Not downplaying those other events.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nah man all I was trying to do there is highlight the unprovoked nature of it, and how we don’t really see it compared to those other contexts in which we have almost come to expect some more dirty hits now and then. The OBJ-Norman thing was almost part of sport drama; this was a huge person throwing a tantrum on and concussing a smaller defenseless player who had done nothing to provoke what he received.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, everybody loves a spectacle.

For a totally different take:

Larry Fitzgerald: "I don't particularly like the suspension. I don't like when the actions of one player affects his team. Taking him off the field for a complete game is going to really hurt the Patriots. I thought he definitely should have been fined heavily. Those kind of plays really don't have a place in our game. I think the NFL has done a great job of emphasizing that over the last few years. I don't agree with the one game suspension though."

Reaction Score
If JuJu doesn’t get suspended for that peelback block on Burfict just now...

Reaction Score
R
Love to hear everyone's take on Gronk getting just one game for his cheap shot yesterday? Heard Steve Young tonight say that one game won't stop others from taking that same blatant shot at someone when "frustrated", but a month off will make them think about it. The guys in concussion protocol, this is Burfict-like and no one is saying anything, it's crazy.

Needs to stop.
Rest assured you'll be squawking the loudest.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Normally a play like that only generates a fine, not a suspension. So this penalty is harsh. Especially for a guy with no history who truly feels bad about it and apologized. The defender he hit pushed him away from the ball, while it was in the air, which allowed him to intercept it. Obvious pass interference and no call. So he was pissed and did something stupid, which he regrets.

Reaction Score
Normally a play like that only generates a fine, not a suspension. So this penalty is harsh. Especially for a guy with no history who truly feels bad about it and apologized. The defender he hit pushed him away from the ball, while it was in the air, which allowed him to intercept it. Obvious pass interference and no call. So he was pissed and did something stupid, which he regrets.

Oh geez pass interference vs Gronk and he was upset? Only Pats fans would come up with that one, that's what I was looking for thanks. Hilarious!!! It's ok that he pushes off 10X a game but when he's frustrated he can haul off and try to take a guys head off?

Next

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom