Chatter Re: BigEast Teams 14-16 (espn) | The Boneyard

Chatter Re: BigEast Teams 14-16 (espn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
add all 3. then add 2 more becuase espn will right away rip a few more teams from the BE
byu//army
unr/fresno or unlv

then split east and west division wise. the bball school will be gone as espn will rip at least 1 of uconn or lville out of the BE if not both. good luck to the new commish with this.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
$4 million to $8.7 million for each full member.

The high end sounds more reasonable than Nelson's $16 million . SDSU is counting on $6.2 from Football and Basketball was estimated at $3.6 mil when ND was involved.

Let's see this plays out. And if they need to sign for 15 years and cough up all media rights to make the average pay look better (like the ACC).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What do people not understand about dividing the pie more ways?

Unless you think Memphis, Temple, Air Force, Fresno State, random school nobody gives a about, etc. adds more value than UConn, Louisville, or Rutgers, you are further dividing the TV revenue that UConn should receive.

I'm still livid over Temple and Memphis being added, there's no need to compound this mistake.

Reaction Score
Temple and Memphis are a revenue drain on us but BYU and the academies should all pull their own weight.

Reaction Score
By their math, BB is worth between $1-2.2 M. To quote a relevant movie, "As, if."

#ESPNClueless

Yep. They are basically saying BE BB is worth a little more than UCONN Women BB's tier-3 rights. This article is nothing more than another ESPiN's propaganda machine working overtime against the BE.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Until around Nov. 1, anything printed, said or intimated by a Walt Disney/ABC/ESPN outlet concerning the Big East needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. They're just not an objective source of league information right now.

At the end of the day, it is what it is...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's safe to say ESPN isn't aboard the USS Big East aircraft carrier. Their information is bogus and is not to be trusted.

pj

Reaction Score
Until around Nov. 1, anything printed, said or intimated by a Walt Disney/ABC/ESPN outlet concerning the Big East needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. They're just not an objective source of league information right now.

At the end of the day, it is what it is...

Why Nov 1? After a deal is signed ESPN will want to sabotage the league because it will be the competition's property. Actually it will make more sense for ESPN to badmouth the NBE later, since now one effect is to drive down the cost for NBC, making it a more profitable property for them.

Reaction Score
Yep. They are basically saying BE BB is worth a little more than UCONN Women BB's tier-3 rights. This article is nothing more than another ESPiN's propaganda machine working overtime against the BE.

Aren't all women's basketball games Tier 3? So you're saying the entire women's basketball schedule (minus the tournaments I suspect)? I don't know if the numbers are horribly out of whack. Supposedly, 80% of the current ACC deal is for football. That means basketball, roughly the remaining 20% (minus whatever you allot to Tier 3), would work out to around $3.5 million per school over the life of the contract.

Now the Big East has been better than the ACC the last several years quality wise. But I think we also know that quality does not always matter. Sometimes it is about name brand. Which Notre Dame football proves. Notre Dame is still much more wanted than Boise State despite on the field results. And once you account for West Virginia, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh leaving, the old Big East from the last 5 years doesn't look as strong. So one can understand why the Big East won't get paid as much. Does not mean the on the court quality changes, but the name recoginition and depth is not the same. So $2.2 million doesn't seem horribly out of whack. Maybe a little low. Maybe not. But not a huge difference either. No one's really getting paid big bucks for basketball (and one also has to recognize UConn women's basketball is pretty unique in its popularity)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pretty much every other media outlet says $130MM is the floor, but ESPN makes up a new floor for this article, just because. They can go F themselves.
I'll be thrilled (but I will also be stunned) if NBC is still in this game. The bidders for the NBE are nowhere near as big of a threat to ESPN as they were ten days ago.

Reaction Score
I'll be thrilled (but I will also be stunned) if NBC is still in this game. The bidders for the NBE are nowhere near as big of a threat to ESPN as they were ten days ago.

My view ... and I respect all the others who think we are going to get nothing (because there is some logic there ... given the Memphis/Temple/Houston notion of quality) ... is we Timed it right. We are at the precipice of two major ESPN competitors needing Football content.

Are they going to fill their airwaves with another XFL or WFL or USFL? No ... this Big East thing (with Cities/Universities in some of their key markets) is far cheaper. $160m per annum? Nahh ... I think they will slightly overpay to get it up & running. It won't be ACC like; but, it will be substantially more than where we were. Maybe $11-14m per University on the Football side. And a good solid $5-8m per Basketball.

That comes close to the ACC. At that ... ALL the Big East Programs should be able to far more competitive. Better facilities; better job of retaining coaches; better players.

And we fight it out for eyeballs ... both fanbase & TV ... for the next 10 years. Boise v BYU can be our mid-week special.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope you are correct Pudge and with Comcast now running NBC things could be different than they were when I was involved but I was on a project for NBC sports (through their then parent GE) a bit more than a year after Fox surprised everyone and outbid CBS for NFC football and NBC then was convinced they would lose out on the NFL the next time it was up for bid. Their culture was not as cut throat/competitive as their rivals (at least where sports programming was concerned) and they knew that once things started getting serious (messy) they would bow out gracefully.

I also believe that it was not coincidental that Olhmeyer is the head of the company ESPN commissioned to run the indepenent review of their methods. He knows where all of the bodies were buried at NBC and this alone could end any threat that may have been launched ESPN's way.

Reaction Score
I hope you are correct Pudge and with Comcast now running NBC things could be different than they were when I was involved but I was on a project for NBC sports (through their then parent GE) a bit more than a year after Fox surprised everyone and outbid CBS for NFC football and NBC then was convinced they would lose out on the NFL the next time it was up for bid. Their culture was not as cut throat/competitive as their rivals (at least where sports programming was concerned) and they knew that once things started getting serious (messy) they would bow out gracefully.

I also believe that it was not coincidental that Olhmeyer is the head of the company ESPN commissioned to run the indepenent review of their methods. He knows where all of the bodies were buried at NBC and this alone could end any threat that may have been launched ESPN's way.

I believe things are vastly different. The Value of Live content ... as evidenced by the Big 5 contracts ... is clear. But, I don't want to get to hopeful. Unlike others here, I see the Memphis & Temple as strategic fits directed by someone outside the Marinatto mafia.

And, in business, I go with the Personal relationships. Bevilacqua & Aresco ... and add some background folks like Carparelli ... have my confidence (until they don't). The ESPN drumbeat ... and I do see a pattern ... is just awkward missteps. I think there is a tipping point coming really soon. I won't hazard a guess at this point. It just seems that some folks are scared at the Worldwide leader.

Reaction Score
When Fox broke into the NFL broadcasting world, NBC was riding the popularity of sitcoms. Seinfeld ruled the airwaves on thursday nights. I can't even tell you the name of current sitcom now. The Simpsons?

Times have indeed changed. The era of the sitcom is over, and authentic, non-scripted, live content rules the airwaves.

Sports, will always be that. Authentic. Unscripted, with an unknown outcome. Reality TV.

You get shows like American Idol, X-Factor....etc.....on TV now - that generate millions and millions of viewers - why? Reality TV.

Newspaper print media is dying. The online world is struggling to figure out how to reach people easily, cost effectively. ESPN is charging 8-10x more for carrier fees on cable than any other channel, and cable companies are tired of it.

Disney - that monster corporation - has become entirely profit driven, by the ESPN motor.

Interesting times.

I'll tell you what, McMurphy's latest article is a little less of a disaster than his last one - but the line in there about a big east official saying "crawling back" - is just sickening. These people at ESPN, are unscrupulous these days. I expect that as halloween gets closer - and if there is no deal in place - the cleverly placed digs and shots at the Big East conference, from Bristol will get more and more juicy.

Because any competition whatsover to ESPN, is going to put the brakes on their ability to keep jacking up carrier fees, and if the carrier fees stop going up - that means that the engine driving the entire Disney corporation profits, just got put on idle.

Reaction Score
I believe things are vastly different. The Value of Live content ... as evidenced by the Big 5 contracts ... is clear. But, I don't want to get to hopeful. Unlike others here, I see the Memphis & Temple as strategic fits directed by someone outside the Marinatto mafia.

And, in business, I go with the Personal relationships. Bevilacqua & Aresco ... and add some background folks like Carparelli ... have my confidence (until they don't). The ESPN drumbeat ... and I do see a pattern ... is just awkward missteps. I think there is a tipping point coming really soon. I won't hazard a guess at this point. It just seems that some folks are scared at the Worldwide leader.

Speaking of "patterns" - check out this happy horse$hit from earlier tonight:

ESPN CollegeFootball@ESPNCFB
To emerge from the shadow of the SEC, the ACC needs a national title contender to call its own. Who will be that team? http://es.pn/Q2eGei

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Speaking of "patterns" - check out this happy horse$hit from earlier tonight:

ESPN CollegeFootball@ESPNCFB
To emerge from the shadow of the SEC, the ACC needs a national title contender to call its own. Who will be that team? http://es.pn/Q2eGei

This is the $#ittiest attempt at politicking I've seen in a long time, and that's saying a lot in an election year!!! ESPN is really shameless at this point, honest to God. Is anyone really falling for this USSR-style propaganda?? :confused::mad::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom