Chase Rettig | The Boneyard

Chase Rettig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone knows who he is? (Without Googling!)

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You have disproven my theory.

I personally did not know the name of the BC starting QB and had to look it up. I surmised most people here wouldn't know who he was either, thus proving BC is not New England's College Team since if no one in New England knows the starting QB's name, that team can't have much of an argument to said title. Sadly, I seem to have been mistaken.

Essentially, this thread was just to gauge just how irrelevant, if irrelevant at all, BCU is.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I didn't know who he was, fwiw

Perfect. This is exactly what I had expected. In fact, ever since Matt Ryan left, I can't name one single BCU player other than Mark Herzlich, and I only became aware of him because of off-field health issues rather than because he was ACC defensive player of the year in 2008.

Reaction Score
I didn't know who he was either. I honestly couldn't name one player on their roster and I haven't seen them play all year.

I was a big BC fan in the 80's when Flutie was there (I saw him play at the Yale bowl when BC played Yale) and followed them quite a bit in the 90's.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I was gonna guess Texas. Chase is a southern sounding name... probably not a lot of catholic families name their kid Chase, I'm guessing.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It's pretty hard to watch them play now if you don't get the Chestnut Hill local access channel, I'll give you that.

BC actually traveled to New Haven to play Yale? I mean BCU is basically a 1AA team now, but I still wouldn't think they'd play an away game against one...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I was gonna guess Texas. Chase is a southern sounding name... probably not a lot of catholic families name their kid Chase, I'm guessing.

He's from CA. I can't even begin to fathom how they convinced a kid to travel 3,000 miles to play there.

Reaction Score
BC actually traveled to New Haven to play Yale? ..

Yup, I believe it was 82 maybe 83. Flutie was just emerging as a national star. Probably 40,000 at the bowl. BC crushed Yale. I don't think Flutie played in the second half.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Rettig is a decent QB. BC's OL doesn't have a single player that could start for us IMO, and they miss Phillips.

Reaction Score
Take a look at the Globe's sports page - Third day in a row there is a fairly mundane UConn-related headline, this time Geno's comments about ND, and no BC headline. The past two days there wasn't a story to be found on BC.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
New England's College Team can't even get New England's Newspaper to talk about them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I only know who he is because of what a joke BC is on offense this year. Co-workers who are BCU alums have been saying his name a lot, usually prefaced with "that m-fer"

Reaction Score
When I saw him against Northwestern earlier this year, my impression was that he was terrible.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
When I saw him against Northwestern earlier this year, my impression was that he was terrible.

Well that's not a fair assessment. Northwestern is a great team and has vanquished many quality foes, so you really should measure him by how he plays against teams BCU beats regularly, like Duke.

Reaction Score
You have disproven my theory.

I personally did not know the name of the BC starting QB and had to look it up. I surmised most people here wouldn't know who he was either, thus proving BC is not New England's College Team since if no one in New England knows the starting QB's name, that team can't have much of an argument to said title. Sadly, I seem to have been mistaken.

Essentially, this thread was just to gauge just how irrelevant, if irrelevant at all, BCU is.
To be fair, you need to ask who the starting Uconn QB is on the BC board. I will bet that they will have no idea either. Why would they?

Better yet, ask random people in CT if they can name Uconn's starting QB or even if they can name the starting PG. Fans will know. Others will not. I played golf over Columbus Day weekend with 5 Uconn grads, 1 BC guy and 2 from other schools. All lived in CT. 3 of us that are fans who watch the games could talk about Uconn FB. 1 of the Uconn guys could not name PP as coach, the BC guy knew a lot and the other two were clueless.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
To be fair, you need to ask who the starting Uconn QB is on the BC board. I will bet that they will have no idea either. Why would they?

Better yet, ask random people in CT if they can name Uconn's starting QB or even if they can name the starting PG. Fans will know. Others will not. I played golf over Columbus Day weekend with 5 Uconn grads, 1 BC guy and 2 from other schools. All lived in CT. 3 of us that are fans who watch the games could talk about Uconn FB. 1 of the Uconn guys could not name PP as coach, the BC guy knew a lot and the other two were clueless.

Three words:
Six
Million
Hits

You're selling the trickster far too short.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What this illustrates is that people in New England are not particularly passionate about college football. Boston loves winners. Everyone knew Matt Ryan's name, and Hasselback and Foley and Flutie.

Reaction Score
Most of us around here who follow college football would probably know who Rettig is.

Reaction Score
Their LB is a stud and one of the best in the country but I don't know his name either.

BTW, I follow college football and live 30 miles south of Boston and was familiar with the name but needed to be told it was BC's QB and than had an "Oh, yeah" moment.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
06029, my point is not whether or not people on the BC board know Johnny Mac's name. UConn has never laid public claim to being New England's College Team.
Additionally it's irrelevant whether or not non-fans know Johnny Mac or Shabazz's name. They're non-fans. Capturing a market like BCU is trying to do is about making interested parties in a region use your services, not your competitors. If people aren't even casual fans already, being the only game in town isn't going to change that.

Reaction Score
As I have said in another thread, one of the best things that could happen for UConn and it's desire to be in the ACC would be for BC to go 1-11 this year and have about 20,000 people show up for their last home game against NC State. 4 of their last 6 games are away games and they will continue to be a sidenote in Boston sports, except when they play ND. They will likely be hiring their 4th coach in 6 years. In addition, they may also be looking for a new AD as Defillippo has been in charge of these hirings along with the downfall of the hoops program. Not to mention his comments regarding ESPN.

The ACC will realize that BC has no chance of being thought of as New England's team, let alone Massachusett's team or even Boston's team. Two BC teams were in the ACC championship game and it didn't alter the perception around Boston or New England. In order to grow some of the desired northeastern media coverage for the ACC they will need the natural rivalry between UConn and BC, and the incredible coverage that Duke, UNC and others may get when they visit UConn in hoops. I think the amount of coverage that UConn gets from the Boston Globe would be a surprise to many along Tobacco Road.

The ACC understands the value of geographically close rivals and have marketed that concept wonderfully throughout the years. That mindset will eventually prevail with UConn and BC, but it will take more time than desired by many on this board.

Reaction Score
Rettig is a decent QB. BC's OL doesn't have a single player that could start for us IMO, and they miss Phillips.

How can BC miss a player who was never healthy enough to be on the field? And the few times he was on the field he did not show any flash and lacked toughness. Two of his fellow freshman last year were far superior to him. They are currently 1st and 3rd leading receivers at BC this year.

Reaction Score
Find me somebody in New England who doesn't know who Jim Calhoun, Kemba Walker, or Geno Auriemma are. Infinitely more than who can identify Chase Rettig, Luke Kealty, or Frank Spaziani.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom