Charlie Strong and Ed Orgeron | The Boneyard

Charlie Strong and Ed Orgeron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If these two become available, would you like to see one of them replace Diaco? They might thrive under the lower pressure at UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe Strong's buyout gets reduced if he coaches next season, basically making it a non-paying job. He'll take his time to find a position where he would have valid reason to believe he can succeed. It is doubtful that job will appear this offseason and I would be surprised if he views us as that type of job.

We would be behind so many schools on Orgeron's list he probably wouldn't even know we were on the list.

Reaction Score
I believe Strong's buyout gets reduced if he coaches next season, basically making it a non-paying job. He'll take his time to find a position where he would have valid reason to believe he can succeed. It is doubtful that job will appear this offseason and I would be surprised if he views us as that type of job.

We would be behind so many schools on Orgeron's list he probably wouldn't even know we were on the list.
I disagree about Eddie O Tom. He hasn't had a legit HC job since he was fired at Ol' Miss. He has been a interim HC at USC and now LSU with no other offers after those seasons. A legit job offer may be enough to tempt him...especially if he could turn this place around and parlay it to a bigger job. He was on P'a staff at Syracuse so he has worked in the northeast.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I disagree about Eddie O Tom. He hasn't had a legit HC job since he was fired at Ol' Miss. He has been a interim HC at USC and now LSU with no other offers after those seasons. A legit job offer may be enough to tempt him...especially if he could turn this place around and parlay it to a bigger job. He was on P'a staff at Syracuse so he has worked in the northeast.
You could be correct A. If so, the question would be does he think he'd be in a better situation as an assistant at a top school (I imagine that 8-10 perennial top 25 schools would be after him) or as a HC at a G-5.

I would love him here merely for his recruiting ability.

Reaction Score
You could be correct A. If so, the question would be does he think he'd be in a better situation as an assistant at a top school (I imagine that 8-10 perennial top 25 schools would be after him) or as a HC at a G-5.

I would love him here merely for his recruiting ability.
Ed Orgeron is 55. If he wants to be a head coach again, a place like UConn may be his best bet. It would certainly draw some attention to the program, and send out a message to the P5 league that UConn is serious about football.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Orgeron is an awful coach. Pass.

His stint at Ole Miss was a colossal failure.

Reaction Score

That was a while ago. His stints as an interim coach have gone well. Bill Belechick failed in Cleveland. I guess the Pats shouldn't have hired him after that.

Reaction Score

He also loaded up that roster which Houston Nutt used to be VERY successful. No comincidenxe that when Nutt's recruits started to fill that roster he didn't have as much success.

Reaction Score
If Strong gets fired I think he takes a high profile DC Job. Maybe at ND, FSU or someplace like that. I see Orgeron getting another position coach job at a major program for his recruiting ability alone. Personally I think Strong is a great guy and a leader of men, but I'm not sure how good of a HC he actually is. Orgeron is a big time personality and great recruiter, but again I'm not sure how involved he is in the X & Os. Uconn should be looking offense all the way.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If Strong gets fired I think he takes a high profile DC Job. Maybe at ND, FSU or someplace like that. I see Orgeron getting another position coach job at a major program for his recruiting ability alone. Personally I think Strong is a great guy and a leader of men, but I'm not sure how good of a HC he actually is. Orgeron is a big time personality and great recruiter, but again I'm not sure how involved he is in the X & Os. Uconn should be looking offense all the way.

We've got a current HC who is involved in X's, O's, dotting the i's and crossing the t's, a complete control freak. Where is that getting us? I don't care if Orgeron ever picks up a clipboard and diagrams a play if he can recruit and help UConn win football games.

Reaction Score
Can we please stop asking for retread failures ? We keep asking for guys who have failed at jobs that have far more resources, history, and top recruits available to them. Why not bring in Paul Pasqualoni ??? I hear he's available. He's a failure from a "name" school. Is that exciting ???

We already freaking tried this you guys.

We need:
New guy.
Offense guy.
Exciting guy.
Guy who hasn't been fired.
Guy who has proved that he can succeed at a lower level (because undoubtedly, right now, that's what we are).
Guy who can win with 2-3 star recruits (because that's what we get...for now).
Guy who can win in an area where CFB isn't religion (because until we make the right choice, it won't be here).
Guy who's coaching makes up for deficiencies in "star rated" talent. X & O guy.

Reaction Score
As if either scum bag would be interested in a fine university yet gridiron program far removed from their pay-as-you-go recruiting regions, cultures, and methods, or UConn would even consider let alone accomodate their related baggage. Wake the up!

Reaction Score
As if either scum bag would be interested in a fine university yet gridiron program far removed from their pay-as-you-go recruiting regions, cultures, and methods, or UConn would even consider let alone accomodate their related baggage. Wake the up!
What related baggage are you referring ragarfing Charlie Strong? He has one of the most impeccable reputations as there is in college football!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So are most coaches at Ol Miss. They'll never consistently beat LSU, FLORIDA, let alone, AUBURN or ALABAMA consistently. He'd be a MAJOR upgrade from what we have right now.

Reaction Score
This seems to be the type of mindset that keeps us from getting a head coach that can provide a turnaround this program needs. More immediate. But we always take the experimental route. You know the kind of Coach that never was an actual head coach before, or a coach past their prime. Enough.

Reaction Score
After 6 years of awful football and a non P5 conference, what makes people think a name coach will want to come here?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

After next season Tom their won't be a piece of paper long enough to put a list on for us!! This program got dealt a death blow with that contract extension this story is the s4!t books are made of, great story terrible ending.. Sad

Reaction Score
But we always take the experimental route. You know the kind of Coach that never was an actual head coach before...

Ya mean like Tom Herman, Matt Rhule, Justin Fuente, or Pat Narduzzi as recent examples?;) Not having been a head coach before shouldn't be a disqualifying résumé hole - we just apparently crapped out out on our roll.

Reaction Score
What related baggage are you referring ragarfing Charlie Strong? He has one of the most impeccable reputations as there is in college football!
After SEC recruiting/coaching with Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer at Florida, and SEC-pay like Louisville CC, well that's entirely believable. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This seems to be the type of mindset that keeps us from getting a head coach that can provide a turnaround this program needs.
Could be for some people, including some in Storrs and Connecticut, and it may contribute to some challenges. To believe otherwise is to insert one's head in Connecticut's granite rock strewn soil.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This board is very funny. No one wants a "retread" coach because they're washed up or proven their worthless (the PP route). Yet you then have the we don't want an unproven head coach coordinator crowd (the BD route). Top that all off with people who then clamour for Moorehead or Weist who have not been a HC at the FBS level or have not been a HC for a full season where they had to do all the recuiting etc....

So what is it folks? If a coach is successful at a G5 school, they aren't coming here. No P5 coach is leaving voluntarily to come to us. It's either a retread who spent some time as a coordinator since their failed HC stint or an unproven head coach who is a successful coordinator . Nick Saban ain't walking through that door.

Reaction Score
After SEC recruiting/coaching with Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer at Florida, and SEC-pay like Louisville CC, well that's entirely believable. :rolleyes:
That's a stereotypical assumption that's compeletly Bulls**t! That man has one of the best reputations in college football!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom