Charlie + CSM and the 13-16 botch job | The Boneyard

Charlie + CSM and the 13-16 botch job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Prior to the actual selection show, the most fun of the WCBB bracket discussions revolves around ripping apart everything posted by Charlie Creme on ESPN, and I guess now also College Sports Madness (CSM). Most of the muck slinging has concerned which region UConn will be sent to and who the 1-4 seeds in the four areas will be. Creme has seemed determined to load up UConn's region with the toughest group of opponents, and most of the attention has been on the top teams he picks to join UConn. But there is a far more serious matter to call him on, and that's the last quartet of teams in the UConn region, a pack of mid-major champs slotted into the 13-16 spots.

Now some might say who cares who he projects to be in UConn's region at the back of the list? These teams are supposedly harmless and will be demolished in the first round. But remember that the #16 seed is the only team that UConn is absolutely guaranteed to play, so they do matter. Plus tell a team like Stanford not to worry about that little #16 team they're paired against. The Cardinal had a spotless record against Harvard until the two teams met up again in the first round in 1998, and Stanford went down and has never been able to beat Harvard since then.

So who does Charlie have matched up with UConn? Why Robert Morris, the third weakest team in the tournament at #185 in Sagarin. The team UConn obviously should be facing is the FIRST weakest, Prairie View, a team with a losing record and by far the worst rated team according to Sagarin, who has them at #287. Charlie of course matches them up with Notre Dame, while CSM rightly pits them with UConn.

It is true that the 13-16 quartet assigned to Stanford has a slightly tougher average rating at 115.0 than UConn's at 120.75, but that's just because Creme's trying to put a bunch of more western based conference champs in the Palo Alto region. Both UTenn and ND are assigned much easier back-enders with a 141.25 and 145.5 average respectably.

The last botch that both Creme and CSM are guilty of is underrating the Great Danes of Albany. According to Sagarin, Albany is the 3rd best team among the 16 back-enders and should be a #13 seed, but Creme has them at a #15 seed and CSM is even worse at #16. Just clueless.

Eh, enough ranting. On to the show.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DR2 - Now this is what I call first rate analysis - everyone else is arguing back and forth re the top end of proposed brackets, but you get to the real meat of the matter!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Prior to the actual selection show, the most fun of the WCBB bracket discussions revolves around ripping apart everything posted by Charlie Creme on ESPN, and I guess now also College Sports Madness (CSM). Most of the muck slinging has concerned which region UConn will be sent to and who the 1-4 seeds in the four areas will be. Creme has seemed determined to load up UConn's region with the toughest group of opponents, and most of the attention has been on the top teams he picks to join UConn. But there is a far more serious matter to call him on, and that's the last quartet of teams in the UConn region, a pack of mid-major champs slotted into the 13-16 spots.

Now some might say who cares who he projects to be in UConn's region at the back of the list? These teams are supposedly harmless and will be demolished in the first round. But remember that the #16 seed is the only team that UConn is absolutely guaranteed to play, so they do matter. Plus tell a team like Stanford not to worry about that little #16 team they're paired against. The Cardinal had a spotless record against Harvard until the two teams met up again in the first round in 1998, and Stanford went down and has never been able to beat Harvard since then.

So who does Charlie have matched up with UConn? Why Robert Morris, the third weakest team in the tournament at #185 in Sagarin. The team UConn obviously should be facing is the FIRST weakest, Prairie View, a team with a losing record and by far the worst rated team according to Sagarin, who has them at #287. Charlie of course matches them up with Notre Dame, while CSM rightly pits them with UConn.

It is true that the 13-16 quartet assigned to Stanford has a slightly tougher average rating at 115.0 than UConn's at 120.75, but that's just because Creme's trying to put a bunch of more western based conference champs in the Palo Alto region. Both UTenn and ND are assigned much easier back-enders with a 141.25 and 145.5 average respectably.

The last botch that both Creme and CSM are guilty of is underrating the Great Danes of Albany. According to Sagarin, Albany is the 3rd best team among the 16 back-enders and should be a #13 seed, but Creme has them at a #15 seed and CSM is even worse at #16. Just clueless.

Eh, enough ranting. On to the show.
You are using a 'S' curve as opposed to the more frequently used 'G' curve Creme and the Committee uses. (or seems to anyway).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
DR2 - Now this is what I call first rate analysis - everyone else is arguing back and forth re the top end of proposed brackets, but you get to the real meat of the matter!
Hey, I know what counts. And no team can afford to overlook those sneaky little #16 seeds that are always looking to bollox up the #1 seeds. Some may think that potential foul trouble is UConn's biggest worry in the tourney, but I know for a fact that having a #16 seed go 25-35 on 3-pt shots is far more likely a problem to happen.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
UConn likes playing Greek players -- bring on Artemis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom