Charlie Baker says NCAA made a ‘big mistake’ by not setting up framework for NIL compensation | The Boneyard

Charlie Baker says NCAA made a ‘big mistake’ by not setting up framework for NIL compensation

Reaction Score
Emmert knew to get out before he got hammered even more for this. Baker is saying what I've been saying for months. There are people on here who think just let the players get what they can. But the purpose of NIL wasn't for schools to attract recruits and transfers with NIL money and that part of NIL needs to cleaned up.

“I think it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to,” Baker said during the Future of College Athletics Summit, not far from Capitol Hill. “And I think there were too many people in college sports who thought no rules would work really well for them. And what everybody’s discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework, doesn’t work well for anybody.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
justin bieber GIF

Reaction Score
Emmert knew to get out before he got hammered even more for this. Baker is saying what I've been saying for months. There are people on here who think just let the players get what they can. But the purpose of NIL wasn't for schools to attract recruits and transfers with NIL money and that part of NIL needs to cleaned up.

“I think it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to,” Baker said during the Future of College Athletics Summit, not far from Capitol Hill. “And I think there were too many people in college sports who thought no rules would work really well for them. And what everybody’s discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework, doesn’t work well for anybody.”

The floodgates have opened. They will break the rules no matter what now since it's not illegal and no one is going to find out

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really tough to get the horse back in the barn at this point. Emmert's gutless "we're not going to take a position" position devastated college athletics and amateurism. That's probably his biggest legacy of ineptitude and, given his history, that's saying a lot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem was that Emmert was too much if a coward to take the lead on this when it became obvious that players would be able to legally receive NIL money without sacrificing eligibility.

A real leader would have built a team to list what could and could not be viewed as legal in terms of NIL compensation to student athletes and what should and should not be viewed as acceptable in the eyes of the NCAA in terms of compensation. From there they could have built guidelines that they would have been able to enforce.

I still see one thing as outside of what should be acceptable but this is a major item. How are schools/boosters/whoever allowed to guarantee the amounts that a student athlete will earn? They are basically underwriting the earnings that, from what everything NIL allegedly would allow earnings from would be an open variable.

Paige Bueckers ends up with however many millions of followers so she earns what social media pays for this. Clingan and Rosa have an event at Red Fox, what they earn will be entirely dependent on the size of the audience. If boosters are (in so many words) telling recruits that they will come out of pocket to ensure a number, how us that not buying a recruit?

Reaction Score
It’s a bad look to me to blame the former guy for not doing something, and then continue to do nothing yourself, and say that it has to be done by congress. (“not my job” from the head of the NCAA?)

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sure Emmert doesn't care. He was always only about cashing the checks. He been badmouthed after leaving by better outfits than the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Pretty obvious from judge kavanaugh decision
That the NCAA has no standing to regulate NIL
If they want to then make players employees
And sign a contract

Reaction Score
They could solve the transfer issue simply by putting back the 1 year waiting period that was removed a few years ago. The freshman recruiting issue is a different story.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They could solve the transfer issue simply by putting back the 1 year waiting period that was removed a few years ago. The freshman recruiting issue is a different story.

What transfer issue? UConn doesn't win #5 this year under the old transfer rule, nor do we have Cam Spencer on next year's team.

Reaction Score
What transfer issue? UConn doesn't win #5 this year under the old transfer rule, nor do we have Cam Spencer on next year's team.
Spencer is a graduate transfer and those rules have been around a lot longer. So not the same as a regular transfer.

Reaction Score
"on Friday the IRS warned that NIL collectives could soon no longer be deemed public charities."

This could be the NCAA's ace in the hole. It's harder for most to give large amounts if none of it is tax deductible.

Maybe I misunderstood it, but I thought NIL dollars were originally intended as payments to players from those wishing to use their name, image or likeness on products, video games, or at events, etc.

The O'Bannon case was about others benefiting from the use of his image with no compensation to him. It was not about approving individuals or groups or collectives to offer money to a player to induce them to attend or stay at any particular institution.

If that's correct, it would seem the NCAA could still take charge of the situation and stop the wholesale buying of recruits and transfers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree with the OP.

This needed to be addressed years ago and the college presidents would never take it on, probably because their donors, boosters and trustees were hell bent on winning football games versus addressing the underlying mission of educational institutions.

It's full fledged professional athletics at this point complete with free agency.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with the OP.

This needed to be addressed years ago and the college presidents would never take it on, probably because their donors, boosters and trustees were hell bent on winning football games versus addressing the underlying mission of educational institutions.

It's full fledged professional athletics at this point complete with free agency.

All the things in play now that supposedly prevent the new guy from being able to do anything, we’re in play when the former guy supposedly could have issued some sort of magic bullet rules. (no matter what the NCAA tries to do individual states will pass laws outlawing it)

And yes, it’s going to be pretty much the wildest, Wild West of professional sports without the guardrails that professional sport leagues have enacted to promote some sort of parity (salary caps, and draft systems that funnel the best players to the worst performing teams.)

Kind of wondering when we get to the point that a kid has to take a pay cut to accept the NBA rookie salary.

Reaction Score
NCAA throwing around some weight. Should get interesting.

The NCAA office sent a memo to member institutions on Tuesday in which the organization clarified its name, image and likeness policy, according to multiple reports. The updated explanation urges schools to follow the NIL rules set forth by the NCAA in lieu of the more lenient guidelines recently passed by several state legislatures across the country.

CL82

Reaction Score
NCAA throwing around some weight. Should get interesting.

The NCAA office sent a memo to member institutions on Tuesday in which the organization clarified its name, image and likeness policy, according to multiple reports. The updated explanation urges schools to follow the NIL rules set forth by the NCAA in lieu of the more lenient guidelines recently passed by several state legislatures across the country.

Accept in the NCAA say they would go with whatever state legislatures passed. The notion that this was controlled by state legislatures has always been a canard. The NCAA is a private organization that can set any rules it chooses for its membership. Had it done so when this was all emerging, there might have been a workable solution. Now it is the wild west. Institutions who believe they can game the existing situation in their favor will not be willing to try to ship that genie back in the bottle.

CL82

Reaction Score
Emmert had one goal. Protect the SEC at all costs.
Make as much money as he could before his incompetence became readily apparent.

Emmert was the Peter principle personified.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Doesn't the Federal government have enough on its plate without getting involved in this? That's the last thing you'd want to do.

"Nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom