Charli Turner Thorne goes for 500 | The Boneyard

Charli Turner Thorne goes for 500

Reaction Score
It's appropriate that CTT goes for her 500th career win this Friday against rival U of A Wildcats. While I wish it was a home game it certainly will be great when she picks up that win in Tucson.

Coach CTT is really done an amazing job in Tempe.

CTT began her head coaching career at NAU where she accumulated 40 victories before coming south on I-17 to provide ASU with one of its most effective and engaging leaders.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's appropriate that CTT goes for her 500th career win this Friday against rival U of A Wildcats. While I wish it was a home game it certainly will be great when she picks up that win in Tucson.
"when" -- I like your confidence

Reaction Score
"when" -- I like your confidence
I've been looking forward to the rematch since December 29th. And I know CTT and the team are too. McKale will be a great environment. While it won't be quite as intense as South Carolina last night the Wildcats are going to show up and I'm hoping it'll be a sell-out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Coach CTT is really done an amazing job in Tempe.

CTT began her head coaching career at NAU where she accumulated 40 victories before coming south on I-17 to provide ASU with one of its most effective and engaging leaders.

One of the best least spoken about coaches in WBB, congrats to her. I'm a bit surprised she hasnt jumped for greener pastures $$ wise....I'd imagine she'll be a strong candidate for the Stanford job if Tara retires in the next few years.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
CTT seems like a great lady. I read an article about her several years back, and came away with the impression that because she is a mother, she shows a maternal side to her players, treating them as if they were one of her own. I can see why a lot of parents would feel comfortable letting their daughters go play for CTT.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was gonna say Happy Birthday and that Charlie looks freakin awesome for 500 years old but then I clicked into the thread...:rolleyes:

This should be an interesting game and a packed house in Tucson. I am going with U of A here, they need the Winn more, have the best two players on the floor, playing at home against a foe they know well.

Reaction Score
One of the best least spoken about coaches in WBB, congrats to her. I'm a bit surprised she hasnt jumped for greener pastures $$ wise....I'd imagine she'll be a strong candidate for the Stanford job if Tara retires in the next few years.

Totally agree. Get ready to hear from the Stanford fans. When I speculated about CTT returning to her Alma Mayer I got a rather strong response. LOL

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Get ready to hear from the Stanford fans. When I speculated about CTT returning to her Alma Mayer I got a rather strong response. LOL

You don't even need Stanford fans for this one - plenty of other folks have chimed in on this recently:

I know that Tara has been telling recruits for at least the last five years that she "will coach as long as I want to coach" when they have asked whether she will stay the full four years of their basketball careers.

The strong Class of 2019 recruits for Stanford likely don't fully believe that Tara will be there for all of their careers, but they recognize the future value of a Stanford degree as well as have an understanding that the program will be in good hands with Kate Paye at the helm following Tara's retirement.

I saw that as well. Tara relies on Associate Head Coach Kate Paye for designing key plays from time to time. Paye is the coach-in-waiting. Has been for years. I was surprised Stanford couldn't inbound the ball to a Cardiinal with five seconds to play when down 3 even after a Texas defender had fallen down on that play. Stanford's execution is typically better than that.

I think that the TheFarmFan and other ardent Stanford supporters will tell you that Kate Paye will be the next head coach at Stanford. Paye has waited patiently for her turn and has turned down other D1 opportunities in order to be next in line following Tara's retirement.

Here's what I had to say last spring, which still holds:
It has come up a lot with Tara for years. Indeed, there were allegations that "impending retirement" rumors were part of what led Pivec to go with Oregon State instead. Tara's contract extensions tends to be for only 3 or 4 seasons at a time, and Stanford and Tara have not, historically, extended them much before they expire, which leads to creeping anxiety leading up to each re-extension. The most recent extension was done in 2017 and extends to the end of this upcoming 2019-20 season, so expect the whispers and rumors to begin again. However, given the top caliber recruits Stanford has gotten lately, I think the rumors won't seem very plausible this time; last cycle, there was a hint of credibility to them because we had been in a down cycle in terms of recruiting, and that tends to feed on itself in terms of how high schoolers view the long-term trajectory of your program. Kate Paye also turned down the opportunity to take the head coaching job at Washington and USC, and some read that as signaling she would become the head coach at Stanford sooner rather than later.

I strongly suspect Tara wants a third national title before she retires, and she's got the pieces to make a credible run at it for the first time in a decade over the next few years, so I'd be very surprised if she were to retire any time soon.

Incidentally, Mikayla Pivec is reported to have turned down Stanford for OSU because she didn't think Tara would be the coach for all four years... which made beating her Beavs on Sunday that much sweeter!

Reaction Score
You don't even need Stanford fans for this one - plenty of other folks have chimed in on this recently:

Here's what I had to say last spring, which still holds:

Incidentally, Mikayla Pivec is reported to have turned down Stanford for OSU because she didn't think Tara would be the coach for all four years... which made beating her Beavs on Sunday that much sweeter!
Didn't take long!:)

It is my hope that CTT ends her career coaching the Sun Devils. Her upcoming 500th victory is a testament to her ability to lead a quality winning program.

I defer to Bay area fans and their knowledge of the secession planned or unplanned in Palo Alto. I do have to smile at the utter certainty and I have to admit in my mind I'm thinking

Dewey Wins!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It is my hope that CTT ends her career coaching the Sun Devils. Her upcoming 500th victory is a testament to her ability to lead a quality winning program.

I talked to CTT right after Vanderbilt made overtures to CTT fill the vacancy left by Jim Foster, who left the Commodores for Ohio State (this would have been in the summer/early fall of 2002; Vanderbilt ended up hiring Melanie Balcomb). Based on what she told me, if she were to make a move, it would have been at that point in time.

But her youngest son is 16 (he was born in December 2003; he currently plays basketball at Corona del Sol High School in Tempe). CTT is 53 years old. If, after her youngest son's graduation, a major job becomes open, I have no doubt that she will listen (and she would definitely be interested in the Stanford job). I am just not sure if she will make the move, especially if it is across the country.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Didn't take long!:)...I defer to Bay area fans and their knowledge of the secession planned or unplanned in Palo Alto. I do have to smile at the utter certainty and I have to admit in my mind I'm thinking

Dewey Wins!
Stanford is leaving the PAC12? Why? Or do you mean succession? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw the video of the postgame conference following Stanford's win over Oregon State on Sunday. You could tell the game meant a lot to Pivec as she was almost tearful with her response to the first question that was posed to her.

Reaction Score
I think an argument could be made that CTT is the most underpaid coach in D1 at $484,000.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think an argument could be made that CTT is the most underpaid coach in D1 at $484,000.

Arizona State is fairly notorious for low-balling their coaches in the nonrevenue sports.

Reaction Score
83469763_10157772726272707_7552645061679251456_o.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom