OT: Charleston, SC questions | The Boneyard

OT: Charleston, SC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My sis-in-law and I want to do a girlfriends get away in Charleston. I don't know anything about the place except that it's supposed to be a beautiful city. Anyone have recommendations on hotels downtown, preferably with or near a place for massages/pedicures & other girly stuff? Great restaurants and shopping are also desirable, of course.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I lived there for about 6 months a year when I was in the Navy, but I have not been there in a long time, so I can't recommend a hotel or where to shop. However, I would encourage you to budget lots of time for sightseeing, because it really is a great little city for that, especially all he beautiful homes "South of Broad". And of course there is all the history... Ft. Sumter, etc, and the interesting low country nearby.

As for restaurants, definitely try to hit at least one that specializes in local cuisine, which is really a treat.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Husk is very good and specializes in southern cooking. If you want to treat yourself to a nice dinner or brunch it's a place to consider.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Nan,

I can give you quite a few recommendations. I will PM you in a day or two.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Husk is very good and specializes in southern cooking. If you want to treat yourself to a nice dinner or brunch it's a place to consider.

Husk looks really good. Just bookmarked it on Yelp.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you want a good splurge restaurant, Peninsula Grill is one of the best restaurants in the Southeast.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I lived in Charleston for 8 years but that was 20 years ago. We still get back every 3-4 years. We usually stay with friends in Summerville but our last trip we stayed at the waterfront Courtyard. It's fairly convenient to downtown and walking distance to the College of Charleston, but it is a Courtyard so it doesn't have all the amenities of a full service hotel. On the other hand it's clean, comfortable and reasobly priced.

There are so many restaurants downtown that it's hard to pick. One of our favorites is owned by a former Met singer. It's a prix fixe, one seating, 5 courses delivered with song. If I can ever remember the name I'll pass it on.

I never go someplace new without checking out Trip Advisor.

The Fort Sumpter trip is a snoozer, the old slave market is a good place for touristy souvenier shopping although there are some ladies there that make some fine baskets. Be sure to walk the waterfront and appreciate the painted ladies. A 20 minute trip across the Ashley will get you to a couple of antebellum plantations that are open for tours. Unfortunately, April is the time to see them, and Charleston, in all it's glory. Middleton Gardens is probably the best but their attached hotel sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom