Charleston Classic | The Boneyard

Charleston Classic

Reaction Score
I saw an older closed down Charleston Classic thread, but wanted to ask a question of those who have experience with these tourneys. A buddy was planning his bachelor party, with tight time constraints, and started looking at Charleston when he noticed the tourney and UConn's involvement. So the bachelor party is now booked there, but we're getting there on Friday, it still seems like there are lower level tickets for the full tourney available, but I'm wondering if any of you with experience with these preseason tourneys have some advice on what I (we) should do for tickets.

Will there almost definitely be single session tickets available, and at reasonable prices (I was shocked at how low the cost of the full tourney tickets are), or should I hop on the full weekend and just be okay with missing the Thursday games?

Reaction Score
How big is the Arena?

For non local games & not involving a notable top 5 Blueblood (UK or UNC or Duke) ... they’re not gonna fill the earlier rounds.

Maui? Small gym & tradition on that Island. I think most of these tourneys should have plenty of ticket opportunities for early rounds.

Reaction Score
I went to this a few years ago when Nova won it. Wake was there, so there was some local representation beyond Charleston. We bought tickets in advance, but in hindsight, we didn't need to. We could have just walked up on any day and bought tickets for the session desired. It's general admission, so no seat assignments. No bad seats in the small arena. Parking took a little time.

I think even the final round had easy tickets, maybe the easiest, as I think it was Sunday night and many had left for home.

I'm looking forward to Nova's return to Charleston. It's a great spot.

Reaction Score
I went to this a few years ago when Nova won it. Wake was there, so there was some local representation beyond Charleston. We bought tickets in advance, but in hindsight, we didn't need to. We could have just walked up on any day and bought tickets for the session desired. It's general admission, so no seat assignments. No bad seats in the small arena. Parking took a little time.

I think even the final round had easy tickets, maybe the easiest, as I think it was Sunday night and many had left for home.

I'm looking forward to Nova's return to Charleston. It's a great spot.
Yeah I'm thinking I should wait, just wondering what the ballpark of individual ticket prices might be. If UConn doesn't make the final, we will probably opt to get loaded somewhere instead of watching the championship, maybe even watching whatever consolation game we end up in.

It'll be my first road tournament experience but it seems there will be a ton of UConn fans, so I'm looking forward to getting rowdy in a 'neutral' environment and rocking that little house

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm thinking I should wait, just wondering what the ballpark of individual ticket prices might be. If UConn doesn't make the final, we will probably opt to get loaded somewhere instead of watching the championship, maybe even watching whatever consolation game we end up in.

It'll be my first road tournament experience but it seems there will be a ton of UConn fans, so I'm looking forward to getting rowdy in a 'neutral' environment and rocking that little house

I think the walk up ticket prices were "nominal". You won't even notice a dent compared to your drink bills.

Reaction Score
I noted in the other thread, great eats and drinks in Charleston. I would not go back to Charleston without going to Poogan's Porch for a few perfect manhattans and then some fried chicken. You can thank me later.

Reaction Score
I noted in the other thread, great eats and drinks in Charleston. I would not go back to Charleston without going to Poogan's Porch for a few perfect manhattans and then some fried chicken. You can thank me later.

Yeah, I'm too early in the process to start planning the 'must visit' eateries, but definitely will be mining that thread for details closer to November. I'm thrilled this guy's bachelor party is working out the way it did

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an idea on what the parking situation is in Charleston? Is there a parking garage onsite? Are you better off walking from a nearby hotel?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does anyone have an idea on what the parking situation is in Charleston? Is there a parking garage onsite? Are you better off walking from a nearby hotel?
Several parking garages around CofC. Google Charleston parking and map gives locations.

Also Charleston lists all public garages and rates. Seems all are $1/hour with a maximum of $18/day. The day rate is equal to a half hour in NYC.

Reaction Score
Several parking garages around CofC. Google Charleston parking and map gives locations.

Also Charleston lists all public garages and rates. Seems all are $1/hour with a maximum of $18/day. The day rate is equal to a half hour in NYC.
Thanks

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I live down here now. TD Arena holds about 5100 and seats are generally general admission. This is a good walking city, lots of bars and restaurants in the area. Parking shouldn't be much of a problem... either availability or cost. (Drink costs are nominal too, compared to bigger cities.) Poogan's Porch is great, but you can't swing a dead cat down here without hitting a great restaurant. 82 Queen is great as is Husk, Halls's Chop House...and on and on and on. If you are looking for fried chicken though, you've got to go to Martha Lou's Kitchen. Cash business a little ways away from downtown, but ranked among the best in the country.

See you at the Carolina Ale House.

Reaction Score
I live down here now. TD Arena holds about 5100 and seats are generally general admission. This is a good walking city, lots of bars and restaurants in the area. Parking shouldn't be much of a problem... either availability or cost. (Drink costs are nominal too, compared to bigger cities.) Poogan's Porch is great, but you can't swing a dead cat down here without hitting a great restaurant. 82 Queen is great as is Husk, Halls's Chop House...and on and on and on. If you are looking for fried chicken though, you've got to go to Martha Lou's Kitchen. Cash business a little ways away from downtown, but ranked among the best in the country.

See you at the Carolina Ale House.

I greatly appreciate tidbits like this, as I'll look to research everything to do down there. What are your thoughts of what a group of drunk idiots on a bachelor party should do with our Saturday since there aren't any games? Not a golfing group either. Are there any botanical gardens/museums worth taking transportation to, or should we just walk around the city and see where it takes us?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I greatly appreciate tidbits like this, as I'll look to research everything to do down there. What are your thoughts of what a group of drunk idiots on a bachelor party should do with our Saturday since there aren't any games? Not a golfing group either. Are there any botanical gardens/museums worth taking transportation to, or should we just walk around the city and see where it takes us?
Well, I can set up golf at my club if you are interested. But there's tons of Civil War stuff here...Ft. Sumter, the Hunley (CSA submarine - first to sink a ship). Tours of Old Charleston, ghost tours and the like. Boone Hall Plantation is a nice side trip. South Carolina Aquarium. Patriot's Point Naval Museum. The beach is still here. In November the water will be @ 70 and the temperature in the 60s. Just walking around the city is pretty cool. Rainbow Row, the Battery, the old, old, old mansions downtown. I'd suggest a couple of hours on a catamaran out of Shem Creek in Charleston Harbor. Literally tons of stuff to keep you busy for several days.

Reaction Score
Well, I can set up golf at my club if you are interested. But there's tons of Civil War stuff here...Ft. Sumter, the Hunley (CSA submarine - first to sink a ship). Tours of Old Charleston, ghost tours and the like. Boone Hall Plantation is a nice side trip. South Carolina Aquarium. Patriot's Point Naval Museum. The beach is still here. In November the water will be @ 70 and the temperature in the 60s. Just walking around the city is pretty cool. Rainbow Row, the Battery, the old, old, old mansions downtown. I'd suggest a couple of hours on a catamaran out of Shem Creek in Charleston Harbor. Literally tons of stuff to keep you busy for several days.
Finally getting back to this, I was saying we are NOT a golfing group (at least most aren't), so I don't think we'll head to a golf course. We'll probably just end up wandering around the city, maybe booking some jetskis for the day or something somewhat exciting.

Reaction Score
Where’s everyone staying? Hotels are on the pricier side and not a lot of cheaper two bed Airbnb’s

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I bought tournament tickets for myself, my dad (lives near Beaufort) and sister (lives in Aiken). We booked an AirBnB because we'd otherwise need two hotel rooms. Going back to my Dad's Saturday, play some golf, then I'm skipping Sunday and my Mom can use my ticket, especially if UConn is in a good game.

@DaveHuskiesFan if you go to the ESPN official site they have a Hyatt on King street for $200 a night. I couldn't really beat that even with corporate rates.

Reaction Score
I bought tournament tickets for myself, my dad (lives near Beaufort) and sister (lives in Aiken). We booked an AirBnB because we'd otherwise need two hotel rooms. Going back to my Dad's Saturday, play some golf, then I'm skipping Sunday and my Mom can use my ticket, especially if UConn is in a good game.

@DaveHuskiesFan if you go to the ESPN official site they have a Hyatt on King street for $200 a night. I couldn't really beat that even with corporate rates.

I was going to book that but their room block is sold out. No discount is almost $400/night. I’m going with my dad and thinking we’ll get a one bedroom Airbnb and bring an air mattress.

I can book it for points cheaply but would prefer to not use my points on it.

Reaction Score
I got a place in mt pleasant which is across the bridge on northern part of Charleston. I will just Uber in or take the water taxi over and then take a shared ride back. I’m not going to pay top dollar to stay downtown.

Reaction Score
So the tourney is at college of Charleston or TD Arena? Does anyone which of the Marriott Properties or close by? Just got my tix - Thanks

Reaction Score
Where’s everyone staying? Hotels are on the pricier side and not a lot of cheaper two bed Airbnb’s
My group is doing an airbnb maybe 8-10 blocks away from the arena for Friday thru Sunday, but now a smaller group of us are going in on Thursday, so might book the cheapest hotel room we can find for the 1 night

I'm wayyy too excited for this thing since its almost 3 months away still

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So the tourney is at college of Charleston or TD Arena? Does anyone which of the Marriott Properties or close by? Just got my tix - Thanks

Both. TD Arena is CoC's arena. It is not the main Charleston Arena (and convention center) up in North Charleston. If you are looking for lodging just look around Marion Square and that's the right location.

There is a Courtyard across the street and it was full even two weeks ago. I'm guessing all the teams are there.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
I have a pair of all-session tickets for sale that I bought in the pre-sale a month or 2 ago and now i'm not able to go.. they are lower chairback GA.. Total cost is $310 on their website now.. I'll let go for $250 for all.. PM me if interested.. i'm local here in CT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.45.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.45.42 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 60

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member