Charles leads Liberty over Wings 94-89 | The Boneyard

Charles leads Liberty over Wings 94-89

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tina scored 34 and grabbed 10 boards.

The Liberty trailed by at least 17 points in the first half but fought back.

Kia scored 11 and was her usual pest drawing both fouls and the ire of the Wings. She helped limit Diggins who scored 12 points in the first 4 minutes of the game but only 6 points for the remainder of the game. Cambage was unstoppable scoring 28 points and grabbing 16 boards.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With her 2 three-pointers tonight Azura Stevens is now shooting 6-17 from beyond the arc in 5 games for the Wings.

In 37 games for UConn Azura shot 9-51 from beyond the arc. That's 17%.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With her 2 three-pointers tonight Azura Stevens is now shooting 6-17 from beyond the arc in 5 games for the Wings.

So, if Z goes 3-34, she’ll match her UConn stats. ;)

We knew she should be a 35% shooter, but she wasn’t for one reason or another. Now, she’s close to her career norm, despite better competition.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not wanting to see her team drop to 0-3, Tina Charles went into Beast Mode.

The Liberty needed this win badly!!! NY only had 9 healthy players suit up tonight. NY is not getting any production from their posts. Only 6 points between 3 players in 32 mins of play. :( For the Wings = Stevens scored 10 pts, Chong had 1.

Looks like the blush is off the rose. The Lynx (2-3) lost again tonight to Atlanta by 2, 76-74 on a buzzer beater by Angel McCoughtry. It's the second game in this brief season that the Lynx have lost a game at the buzzer (1st game of the season against Chelsey Gray and the Sparks). :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

She's looking at a different color traffic light now in Dallas than she saw in Storrs. :p

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, if Z goes 3-34, she’ll match her UConn stats. ;)

We knew she should be a 35% shooter, but she wasn’t for one reason or another. Now, she’s close to her career norm, despite better competition.

Wide open 3s at UConn and wide open 3s in the WNBA. Less pressure to make shots in the WNBA I guess.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts from the game: The arena feels like a large high school gym which was a little depressing though it did get loud and you are right on top of the players. It is a pain to get there from the city....there has to be a better option. Stokes was the best defender on Cambage by far. Tina Charles wanted that win more than anyone else on the floor. In the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, Nurse and Stevens played the final minutes, which was part line-up matches, part who the coaches trusted to get the job done. Nurse looks quicker and more fit than in college, if that is possible. Stevens has amazing potential, but still doesn't respond well to a physical game, though I suspect that will change. Hartley and Nurse have similar games. Cambage and Diggins are the real deal. It was fun to see 6 Uconn players on the floor, up close. League play has improved dramatically from last year. This was probably the most talent in one rookie season in the wnba.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some thoughts from the game: The arena feels like a large high school gym which was a little depressing though it did get loud and you are right on top of the players. It is a pain to get there from the city....there has to be a better option. Stokes was the best defender on Cambage by far. Tina Charles wanted that win more than anyone else on the floor. In the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, Nurse and Stevens played the final minutes, which was part line-up matches, part who the coaches trusted to get the job done. Nurse looks quicker and more fit than in college, if that is possible. Stevens has amazing potential, but still doesn't respond well to a physical game, though I suspect that will change. Hartley and Nurse have similar games. Cambage and Diggins are the real deal. It was fun to see 6 Uconn players on the floor, up close. League play has improved dramatically from last year. This was probably the most talent in one rookie season in the wnba.
Sky shot the ball unusually well last night, especially from deep.

Yeah, the rookie class looks deep, much better than last year’s group.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I was looking up options on line and unless I am mistaken :confused:, it seems that the Metro-North White Plains station is in walking distance to the Westchester County Center. That would work for me especially since they have nice express trains from Grand Central to White Plains

Westchester County Center

TRAIN FROM NEW YORK CITY
From Grand Central Station (Or Harlem/125th). Take Metro North to the White Plains Station.
MTA INFO

Walking from train to County Center:
Once on the Station Platform, walk in the direction of the front car of your train.
Take the last exit stairwell (located on the left side of the platform).
Make a left at the bottom of the stairs.
Walk through a very short, well-lit tunnel.
Go right upon exiting the tunnel.
Walk on the path (Metro North to your right, parking lot to your left).
You will see the County Center ahead and to your left.
Walk to the main County Center Parking Lot.
Walk through the parking lot.
At the traffic light, cross the street to the County Center.

Reaction Score
Pity that Saniya doesn't get a chance to do anything that might warrant mention in this thread. Just a pity......:(:(:(

Reaction Score
That was a fun game, especially with 6 UConn players. Kia is doing really, really well. At least five times she beat everyone down the court. She's looking lean and fast.

And she got her 11 points while missing some easy shots early on. Once she got in her groove, she was awesome!

Really a force right now. None of the usual bench warming and uncertain play.

Only wish Saniya contributed more.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Good observation regarding Stevens. I wouldn't be surprised if she declared early in part because Geno wanted to make her into more of a low post player when she prefers the inside-out aspect of it and doesn't want to be a banger inside. Similar to Stevens, A'ja Wilson was a player who shied away from contact as a freshman and learned to become a very physical/aggressive post player. Stevens has so much potential--if she can put on about 10 lbs of muscle and work on finishing through contact and playing physical defense, she could be an all star in this league.

Reaction Score
And she got her 11 points while missing some easy shots early on. Once she got in her groove, she was awesome!

Really a force right now. None of the usual bench warming and uncertain play.

Only wish Saniya contributed more.

Not to be overlooked was Kia's defense. She was on the bench when Diggins hit her first four threes in a row. She shut her down for the most part until Diggins hit a three near the end of the game. Also battled Cambage physically at times, which was very entertaining. Kia backs down to no one. The four fouls limited her playing time but Cambage seemed to be getting the calls in her favor.

Reaction Score
I thought the arena was especially depressing because despite being so small, it wasn't full. Only about 1500 showed up for what turned out to be a great game.

Reaction Score
I was looking up options on line and unless I am mistaken :confused:, it seems that the Metro-North White Plains station is in walking distance to the Westchester County Center. That would work for me especially since they have nice express trains from Grand Central to White Plains

Westchester County Center

TRAIN FROM NEW YORK CITY
From Grand Central Station (Or Harlem/125th). Take Metro North to the White Plains Station.
MTA INFO

Walking from train to County Center:
Once on the Station Platform, walk in the direction of the front car of your train.
Take the last exit stairwell (located on the left side of the platform).
Make a left at the bottom of the stairs.
Walk through a very short, well-lit tunnel.
Go right upon exiting the tunnel.
Walk on the path (Metro North to your right, parking lot to your left).
You will see the County Center ahead and to your left.
Walk to the main County Center Parking Lot.
Walk through the parking lot.
At the traffic light, cross the street to the County Center.

Thanks eebmg....It is an express train from Grand Central, but the returning trains are all local, 50+ minutes and only leave hourly at 0:05....so if the game is over at 9ish you have to what for a 10:05 train. I took a taxi to and from the station. That way is too far to walk, but I'm going to try your walk through the tunnel. Thanks!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks eebmg....It is an express train from Grand Central, but the returning trains are all local, 50+ minutes and only leave hourly at 0:05....so if the game is over at 9ish you have to what for a 10:05 train. I took a taxi to and from the station. That way is too far to walk, but I'm going to try your walk through the tunnel. Thanks!

Thanks. I am not very mobile so a long walk would be a problem for me. Can you get taxi service both ways? I look forward to your report on
the tunnel walk. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks. I am not very mobile so a long walk would be a problem for me. Can you get taxi service both ways? I look forward to your report on
the tunnel walk. :)

Yes. There are taxis at the station when you arrive. Get their card and call them when leaving the center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom