Charles Coleman to Wake Forest, Maybe? | The Boneyard

Charles Coleman to Wake Forest, Maybe?

Reaction Score
A confusing tweet here from his coach. I assume this relates to Coleman but that is not clear and we know Ollie was actively recruiting Coleman, but I am skeptical Hurley has reached out as the tweet implies since I don't think 50+ schools reached out immediately, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
A confusing tweet here from his coach. I assume this relates to Coleman but that is not clear and we know Ollie was actively recruiting Coleman, but I am skeptical Hurley has reached out as the tweet implies since I don't think 50+ schools reached out immediately, but I could be wrong.

Spoiler: Duke didn't reach out. I would honestly be surprised if UConn did as well. This guy is trying to promote one his players which is great, but this list is hyperbole.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

"Someone please call my kid"

Reaction Score

He says "reached out." Not "reached out since his decommit." Coach is a master linguist. Some teams may have reached out 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on this kid?
Is he worth the locked up 4 year scholarship to backup Carlton? What's his ceiling?

Reaction Score
I watched a highlight video of this guy and the first two minutes was him taking 3s and now I am fully perplexed.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any insight on this kid?
Is he worth the locked up 4 year scholarship to backup Carlton? What's his ceiling?

FWIW, I've had my eye on him for a bit. I don't really understand what the deal is - he's a 7-footer with what would appear to be above-average athleticism and footwork, great shooting range, and a decent frame. It's weird to me that he's been sitting outside the top 300 this whole time. He got offers from a handful of P5 schools. I don't know, though. It might be worth a shot just to get a real backup center on the roster (though where is that scholarship going to come from?).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
FWIW, I've had my eye on him for a bit. I don't really understand what the deal is - he's a 7-footer with what would appear to be above-average athleticism and footwork, great shooting range, and a decent frame. It's weird to me that he's been sitting outside the top 300 this whole time. He got offers from a handful of P5 schools. I don't know, though. It might be worth a shot just to get a real backup center on the roster (though where is that scholarship going to come from?).
Typically, one would sign on for a 7 footer with those characteristics to be a backup center.

How are his hands and coordination though? That's usually the kicker with a top 200-300 center.

Reaction Score
Here’s a video on him from when he committed to Wake...

I think he can play. Definitely a little more aggressive thank Carlton might have been when he first came in. I think he’s originally from Mass so there might be a natural home feel for him in joining UConn. Can’t teach 7’ so he has a natural height advantage. At this point we just need another big.

Reaction Score
Typically, one would sign on for a 7 footer with those characteristics to be a backup center.

How are his hands and coordination though? That's usually the kicker with a top 200-300 center.

I mean, I'm not a basketball scout, but from the videos I've seen his hands and footwork seem at least decent. There's always that caveat with a mixtape, but there are a number of difficult passes that he managed to grab and quickly convert. He makes a steal a goes 3/4ths of the court to score. He pump fakes the opposing center to side-step and get himself an open 3. It's hard to imagine a guy making plays like that being particularly unskilled to the point that he's going to be a non-contributing player at 7 feet.

Reaction Score
Here’s a video on him from when he committed to Wake...

I think he can play. Definitely a little more aggressive thank Carlton might have been when he first came in. I think he’s originally from Mass so there might be a natural home feel for him in joining UConn. Can’t teach 7’ so he has a natural height advantage. At this point we just need another big.

Dude used the glass on one of his dunks...can’t teach that and also can’t teach 7’.

I’m fine with the offer/re-offer.

Reaction Score
If the staff thinks it has >50% chance of landing a top 100 C in 2020, I would rather Ntambwe and let the dice roll as they may for 2019 backup C position.

If the staff is less optimistic, I'm fine with any of these 7'0" rank 200-300 bigs.

Reaction Score
I've also never known what to make of this kid. On tape he used to look skilled as a young 7 footer but really unathletic. He's not a great athlete but looks a lot more athletic nowadays and he has a really good frame for adding muscle. Big men all progress at different rates but you would think someone with his frame and skills would be ranked significantly higher than he is. I'm not much of a scout but he looks like someone who has his best days ahead of him and with good coaching and strength training could turn out to be pretty damn good. That's a really good frame to work with...
8C54A96D-A0CD-4704-9EA7-97EF22D3CCB0_large.jpeg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mass kid, just decommitted, late in the process, UConn being his best offer, fitting our desperate need in the front court....so given all that, hard to see this not becoming our guy in very short order.

I liked the UNLV kid, but I think its dangerous to go into 19-20 with the front court we have. We are really just one injury away from being a complete joke under the hoop. Can't have two guys sitting out a transfer year next season. Throw away seasons hurt too.

Reaction Score
Obviously, he has some tools to work with beyond being tall. I especially like that the 3pt shooting looks like a regular thing for him. It isn't just 1 or 2 shots. Some of those 3's, he even created space with the dribble first. Seems like he could be a sleeper.

Reaction Score
Mass kid, just decommitted, late in the process, UConn being his best offer, fitting our desperate need in the front court....so given all that, hard to see this not becoming our guy in very short order.

I liked the UNLV kid, but I think its dangerous to go into 19-20 with the front court we have. We are really just one injury away from being a complete joke under the hoop. Can't have two guys sitting out a transfer year next season. Throw away seasons hurt too.

Like the UNLV kid a lot and it's hard to say no to a solid 13-14/7 contributor who has skills needed at the 3. We aren't even sure if Polley or Wilson will be close to that in 2 years at this point. But I also agree with the fact one injury, especially Carlton and we are in huge trouble looking at another losing season. That's why DH makes the big bucks right, make the right decision for the program and a very important time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom