OT: Chardis says 'good-bye' in the JI | The Boneyard

OT: Chardis says 'good-bye' in the JI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://journalinquirer.com/articles/2012/01/03/sports/doc4f01e52ae8fb4075978348.txt

The link is to an article by longtime JI UConn men's beat writer Phil Chardis....39 years at the
JI...yikes! He does not mention his new position but I think it is something like Associate Sports Info Director at UConn. So he won't be lacking for primetime seats.

I've been reading the JI for about 20 years....thanks to Carl Adamec and to Phil. The JI is losing good folks....I hope they are diligent about keeping the Dean of The Horde [Adamec] around.

Odd story on Phil but I think it is true. When Jim Calhoun was elected to the HOF Chardis wrote a lengthy piece about the announcment the next day....as did a lot of local writers. But Phil also included a tidbit that I didn't see elsewhere....that Jim Boehim [sp?] of Syracuse was also elected.
It was just one sentence in the midst of all the JC stuff. I went to the Syracuse board expecting to see tons of links and congratulations for Jim. There was nothing....nada. Nobody seemed to know of his election. I linked the JI story for them. The reaction was one of 'is this true or is this a prank?'. Then the reaction seemed to be one of some anger at the local 'Cuse cognescenti not having a clue about it....including the local paper [Post Standard].

My guess is that Phil Chardis was the first one to break that story on any level. Not Dickie V...not the NY Times....not the Post Standard....not anybody. A scoop by a dude from a little suburban paper in Ct. Just guessing....I wonder if Phil was about to wrap up the column on JC and then wondered if anybody else of interest had been elected. Maybe he called a source and asked if the Syracuse coach had gotten in and was told 'yes'....so Chardis added a line in the middle of his own Calhoun story.

Anyway....I hope the JI gets someone good to follow the UConn men. He/She will have big shoes to fill.

Good luck to Phil courtside....hey....maybe he'll be poking around at the women's games too.

Reaction Score
Phil was always fun to read and delivered a straight message to us readers...........Good luck......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall
Top Bottom