Charde Houston Traded to Seattle | The Boneyard

Charde Houston Traded to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Former Husky goes from playing with one Husky legend to playing with another. via ESPN Women's Hoops.

Phoenix gets Ewelina Kobryn

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I liked her effort, I didn't think she really brought a lot to Phoenix in the games I attended. On the other hand, I don't think I know Ewelina Kobryn, although it sounds sort of familiar.

In any case, good luck to both with their new teams. My wife and I are undecided on attending Mercury games this season, mostly due to the inherent costs of games 2 hours away from home.

Reaction Score
I went to see the Mercury play Washington last season.

Tarausi made me laugh in that game. Houston took a couple of bad shots and Tarausi gave the coach this LOOK and he got Houston out of there ASAP.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I really like Houston. I hope this new player adds something new that is needed. But she averaged 3.6 ppg and 2.0 rebounds. Souns like Phoenix is trading away more productive players for players that have statistics that are not very impressive.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I really like Houston. I hope this new player adds something new that is needed. But she averaged 3.6 ppg and 2.0 rebounds. Souns like Phoenix is trading away more productive players for players that have statistics that are not very impressive.

A few notes, comments, and corrections, if you will.

First, the trade was for the negotiating rights for Kobryn. She did not even come overseas to play in 2013. But she plays in Russia for the team for which Mercury Head Coach Sandy Brondello coaches and which features Diana Taurasi. There is a chance she may come over, but it is not guaranteed.

Second, Charde commands a higher salary than Kobryn. Phoenix has a few max players or near-max players (Taurasi, Taylor, Dupree), plus players coming off the rookie deals or who will demand more (Bonner). Kobryn would be a much cheaper player. So this is basically a salary dump.

Third, Charde was a scorer and a productive player when Phoenix was tanking to get Griner experiencing a losing season in 2012 with injuries to Taurasi and Taylor. Last year, she struggled because she has the same problem she has had her entire career - she does not know how to be effective when the ball is not in her hands or she is not scoring. She averaged 5.9 points per game, which translates to 200 points scored. But she committed a combined 156 fouls and turnovers. That negates the scoring. Also, of her 200 shot attempts, 50 were from three, where she shot 18 percent last year.

Houston is basically the same player she was in high school. In essence, she has two offensive moves that she employs - her spin move to the basket and a pull-up jumper that she takes on the run. But she was not and has never been a great shooter outside of 10 feet. She is also an average ballhandler on her best day. She has great speed and strength, and she is an aggressive player. But she has never been able to channel that into the development of an all-around game or make the transition to the wing (where she really has to play in the W). At this stage, she is a scorer and can be a go-to player, but only on a bad team. She struggles to find her role when surrounded by talent and when her teammates are just as or more talented than she.

Fourth, even with Griner, Phoenix needs help up front. The joke is that Canice Dupree should be "Candice Upree" because she has no "D" (referencing her ability to defend in the paint). Phoenix needs more rebounding and better post defense, plus a player who knows her role and can help set up and defer to star players, as Griner will be demanding the ball more and more (and will be more of a focal point on offense). The team signed free agent Mistie Bass, who shoots better from the floor and rebounds more than Houston (in roughly the same minutes), has more size/height, and is not shooting long-range jumpers with limited efficiency (the way Houston tended to do last year). And Bass is quite comfortable playing next to a star center and knowing her role, as she has done so the past few years with Tina Charles. Mistie Bass fits the needs of the Phoenix Mercury right now much more than Charde Houston.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed is when players are traded from Phoenix, they end up playing better on there new teams. I attribute this to them being sent to a team with a good coach who knows how to use player.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed is when players are traded from Phoenix, they end up playing better on there new teams. I attribute this to them being sent to a team with a good coach who knows how to use player.
They probably just fit in better on the other team.

Reaction Score
Like I said before- too bad the Mercury didn't take Angel Goodrich last year. She would've taken the point guard chores from Taruasi and let her concentrate more on scoring when they had the ball.
I like Dupree and think she's a great scorer. She might need to improve her defense but I didn't think it was that bad.

Maybe they could trade for Goodrich.

Then they would just need a power forward like Thomas.

The West would be awesome to watch next season. Not that it isn't already.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Like?

Kelly Miller and Temeka Johnson were both worse after being traded from Phoenix.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Like I said before- too bad the Mercury didn't take Angel Goodrich last year. She would've taken the point guard chores from Taruasi and let her concentrate more on scoring when they had the ball.
I like Dupree and think she's a great scorer. She might need to improve her defense but I didn't think it was that bad.

Maybe they could trade for Goodrich.

Then they would just need a power forward like Thomas.

The West would be awesome to watch next season. Not that it isn't already.

Thomas, as in Alyssa Thomas? She is a hybrid forward who will need to play the three in the W at times or work with a versatile forward like Catchings. But that could work with Penny Taylor, who is a fluid forward. Interesting idea, Striper69. Phoenix does not have a first round pick, however, so it would have to involve trading Dupree to get a pick to take Thomas. But yes, her defense was pretty bad last year. Most of the time, she could make it up with her offense, but the PF position really needs a better balance of offense and defense.

Goodrich was a decent player on a bad team. But she is not a starting point guard on a good team. And the team has already traded for Erin Phillips to start in the backcourt next to Taurasi. Phillips is a much better player than Goodrich...assuming Phillips is healthy, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom