Changing my avatar because.... | The Boneyard

Changing my avatar because....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I signed up for BY, I hadn't given the choice any thought, until suddenly I had to come up with something. Who's the basketball player I respect the most? Easy. The Big O. I used to watch him destroy my 6ers, even when he played for the so-so Royals (until he ended up with a great team, the Bucks). He could do everything brilliantly, and most things that no one had thought of before. He made everyone around him play better. So that's been my avatar. But hey, Nan can change hers every couple of weeks, so.....

Today, I was listening to my mp3, and Bruce Springsteen's Baby We Were Born to Run came on. I'm not a big Springsteen fan, but I was thinking that it was he who inducted Bob Dylan (IMHO the greatest creative force in America since Louis Armstrong's hay day) into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame.

Then I thought: Jack Ramsay inducted Geno. I always thought that Jack Ramsay was the greatest coach I ever saw. I'm sure the good Dr. Ramsay would forgive me if I honor Geno at the same time as I now take as my avatar Jack Ramsay in his great St. Joe's day. This is for both of them.

And below is a great account of those golden days at the Palestra, when Matty G. would toss a no-look pass to Billy Oaks who would drain the long 2 (no 3s in those days); the other team would call time-out, and the Hawk mascot would run out on the court, to 9000 fans screaming, "Oh when the Hawks come flying in...." You couldn't hear yourself think. Sweet, sweet times.

Jack Ramsay's legacy at St. Joe's will never die

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Dr. Ramsey was a brilliant coach, and later a very fine broadcaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS
Top Bottom