Changes-a-coming to NCAA? | The Boneyard

Changes-a-coming to NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the first change at the top should the termination of Mark Emmert.

Reaction Score
I have a question for all the lawyers (real and perceived) on the BY. If they develop some type of stipend system for college athletes, will they have to contribute the same amount of money between the sexes to stay legal with Title IX?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a lawyer but they might find a way to completely separate CFB from the rest of athletics is some way - (I say get them out of the school completely!) - but it would be very difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a two tier scholarship situation where each school had a limit on the full cost scholarships at say 100 each - men and women, and the rest of the scholarships remain at the current level. The distribution between sports could be an institutional choice. That might lead to an even greater gap between strong CFB schools, strong CBB schools, and strong schools in less high profile sports. It could be an interesting situation where folks like the Catholic schools dominated MCBB because they were offering the whole team full cost scholarships while the BCS schools were devoting most of theirs to the football team and allowing basketball to languish.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a discussion of having a split conference. One for Football and another for Basketball. A school could be in the Big 10 for Football and in the ACC for Basketball. Is that just too weird? It would help in UCONN's case where they have an average football program and a top flight basketball program.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a discussion of having a split conference. One for Football and another for Basketball. A school could be in the Big 10 for Football and in the ACC for Basketball. Is that just too weird? It would help in UCONN's case where they have an average football program and a top flight basketball program.
The ACC and Big 10 are full of average football programs.

Reaction Score
Hey TR, yeah I know but mine is the larger question of whether or not the NCAA would ever consider all of the 325 Div schools having one conference for football and all 325 having another for basketball. In other words a school might belong to two different conferences based on sport. I know this opens an entire can of worms given the fact of how do you treat the volleyball team and the swimming team ect, ect. But it would allow that a very strong basketball program, like UCONN, would not be relegated to a second rate conference based on the quality of its football team. Hey it's the off season and I'm just kicking things around a bit.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Hey TR, yeah I know but mine is the larger question of whether or not the NCAA would ever consider all of the 325 Div schools having one conference for football and all 325 having another for basketball. In other words a school might belong to two different conferences based on sport. I know this opens an entire can of worms given the fact of how do you treat the volleyball team and the swimming team ect, ect. But it would allow that a very strong basketball program, like UCONN, would not be relegated to a second rate conference based on the quality of its football team. Hey it's the off season and I'm just kicking things around a bit.

I've proposed a variation of this multiple times. Have a conference setup that covers almost all sports. Treat football as special, because it is special. Organize football how ever the football schools want to organize.

(There are also a few other exceptions, such as equestrian, and rifle teams which don't follow the traditional conference set up because not all schools in a conference have those teams)

Reaction Score
The difference between football and everything else will make it difficult to find a good solution.
The Butlers and George Masons of the world can be competitive in basketball but not football.
It'll be interesting to what they come up with.

Reaction Score
Not a lawyer but they might find a way to completely separate CFB from the rest of athletics is some way - (I say get them out of the school completely!) - but it would be very difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a two tier scholarship situation where each school had a limit on the full cost scholarships at say 100 each - men and women, and the rest of the scholarships remain at the current level. The distribution between sports could be an institutional choice. That might lead to an even greater gap between
strong CFB schools, strong CBB schools, and strong schools in less high profile sports. It could be an interesting situation where folks like the Catholic schools dominated MCBB because they were offering the whole team full cost scholarships while the BCS schools were devoting most of theirs to the football team and allowing basketball to languish.
Interesting thoughts. I'll be looking forward to January to see what they come up with for all the different level programs and sports.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
The difference between football and everything else will make it difficult to find a good solution.
The Butlers and George Masons of the world can be competitive in basketball but not football.
It'll be interesting to what they come up with.
Like some of the Catholic schools, I believe Butler's football team is Division 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom