Change offensive play calling to start the game... | The Boneyard

Change offensive play calling to start the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... just a suggestion on my end... If we're that bad up front on the OL, why not work towards whatever strengths we do have at that position in our first offensive possession? The first 4 games have been a complete disaster... Way to many missed blocking assignments, zero instincts seeing an open man free up and not even attempting to block the guy.. Enough is enough... time to take the K(eep) i(t) s(imple) s(tupid) approach... And I don't care if we lose a few yards on the play... I think our RBs are now OK to run a play like this come week 5... I formation (or Power I ) hand off to the tailback to run in between the tackles... Give the OL an opportunity to use their strength up front, even if there's 8 men in the box on defense... This shotgun crap doesn't work because we don't know who the heck to block leaving whoever's in the backfield an easy target...

Time to 'get a mean on' and give these kids a chance to feel a little better about themselves early on in the game.. Then afterwards, run that other crap that doesn't seem to be working.. maybe... just maybe, we'll get a better response on that side of the football...

Oh yeah, btw, if we win the coin toss.. DEFER.. Never (with this team), EVER EVER EVER choose to receive the football first. Our offense is too offensive for that...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't know....it's not like they are starting the games with flea flickers. Whether they run or pass (all conservative plays) they turn it over. The new strategy might be punt on first down on the first series of the game. I guess Northwestern recently punted on third down and Diaco commented that he supported that strategy.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I'd like to see an offensive lineman get penalized because he would't stop blocking. It's a mentality about getting your hit in one way or the other. Not sure we have that.

Reaction Score
The first game they went very simple... Kinda like a half back dive play, the RB fumbles the ball away... 2nd game the RB fumbles it away... week 3 the OL doesn't block, causing a RB fumble (but this one's not as bad as the first 2 RB fumbles since the 300 lb DT was already in the face of RB in the backfield just as the ball was handed to him by the QB)... then week 4 we are in spread shotgun formation and nobody picks up the edge rusher (another defensive guy running free with nobody blocking him whatsoever... untouched)...

I say we should've learned from this and go with a little power running at the beginning then try and open things up afterwards.. if our RBs fumble then they sit... for awhile... because that's not supposed to happen...

Reaction Score
To my not at all trained eye, I thought the pistol was the most effective for this offense. I'd like to see CW and any RB lined up in the pistol. I would also like a lot more to see maybe a screen or slant to loosen up the defense over the middle.

Reaction Score
To my not at all trained eye, I thought the pistol was the most effective for this offense. I'd like to see CW and any RB lined up in the pistol. I would also like a lot more to see maybe a screen or slant to loosen up the defense over the middle.

I like it too bro, but does your not so trained eye also notice defenders getting thru our OL untouched at the start of games? My point is we can utilize that stuff a little later on, just not with the first snap on offense... I doesn't work for us...

Reaction Score
I like it too bro, but does your not so trained eye also notice defenders getting thru our OL untouched at the start of games? My point is we can utilize that stuff a little later on, just not with the first snap on offense... I doesn't work for us...

Whatever it takes, I'm going to scream if there is a turnover on the first play of the drive against Temple.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know....it's not like they are starting the games with flea flickers. Whether they run or pass (all conservative plays) they turn it over. The new strategy might be punt on first down on the first series of the game. I guess Northwestern recently punted on third down and Diaco commented that he supported that strategy.

The old punt the football off the linebackers, making it a live ball, trick.

What we need is a soccer player good at bicycle kicks to be our new quarterback.

The trouble is we can only run this play 3-4 times per game before the defense catches on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom