Change Now | The Boneyard

Change Now

Reaction Score
New starting lineup needed before So. FL. and big shake up in playing time.
Only players who deserve pt after Cinn. and should be starting are Gafney (1) Bouknight (2) Adams (3) Vital (4) Akok (5). Know the numbers dont add up but its not time to be playing who you like but who will get you the W.The number indicates the position.
I am very disappointed with our preparation for Cin- they had us scouted and went right after our major weak links Gilbert and Carlton.
We can't afford to lose another game like this with our glaring weakness being exploited.
Must have 1 point guard responsible for how the team is run. That man right now is Jaylen Gafney.

Reaction Score
Only players who deserve pt after Cinn. and should be starting are Gafney (1) Bouknight (2) Adams (3) Vital (4) Akok (5). Know the numbers dont add up but its not time to be playing who you like but who will get you the W.The number indicates the position.
I am very disappointed with our preparation for Cin- they had us scouted and went right after our major weak links Gilbert and Carlton.
We can't afford to lose another game like this with our glaring weakness being exploited.
Must have 1 point guard responsible for how the team is run. That man right now is Jaylen Gafney.
I know nothing about Xs and Os, but I don't think this lineup is beating anyone. CV at the 4? Come on. (This is so absurd that maybe you were being sarcastic. If so, please disregard my response.)

Reaction Score
Hard to defend except that Vital is one our 2 best rebounders and this 5 gives you players that can play on both ends of the floor.
When you have our faults on display like they were tonight you have to do something to put players on the floor where you have the best chance to win.
Tell your point guard that he is responsible for running the team . Gilbert was responsible for the time he was running the team

Reaction Score
Did anyone see Akok dunk with 3 men on him after a nice pass. Get his hands on the ball anywhere around the rim and something good will happen. Same could be said of all the 5 .They all have shown they can play defense.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see Akok dunk with 3 men on him after a nice pass. Get his hands on the ball anywhere around the rim and something good will happen. Same could be said of all the 5 .They all have shown they can play defense.
Yes, but Akok's hands must of froze in the cold tonight because everything bounced off them.

Reaction Score
We can' have guys getting 20 min. with nothing to show for it.

Reaction Score

Adams is 3 inches taller and 20lbs heavier than CV. Put him at the 4 if this is the only lineup.

Reaction Score
Do you think basketball begins and ends on the offensive end of the floor?

Gilbert was incredibly poor last night, and if as many people played and coached horrifically you want to single him out, fine. But he is light years ahead of where Gaffney is defensively. Light years. Bringing Gaffney is may make us marginally better on offense, but it's not going to make us a better team. Yet. Unless Gilbert plays like this every game (which to be fair he hasn't).

Same with Carlton compared to Whalley. Carlton made an awful, awful boneheaded defensive play to start the game, but the rest of it he played well in his 20 minutes. He defended. He blocked shots. He rebounded. Whalley gives you nothing but minutes to rest Carlton. He was totally, totally overwhelmed by very mediocre bigs on the defensive end.

If there is one thing I would fix after last night it wouldn't be the lineup (especially where all 9 guys who played were given plenty of opportunity to show they could do better than the other guys). I would make everyone watch not primarily how Cincy set picks and screens, but how the dribblers used them by actually dribbling closer to the man setting the pick or screen so that daylight opened up. If you want especially to blame the coaches for something, blame them for this. It can't be a point of emphasis to use your pick better because it's not that difficult.

Reaction Score

Gilbert was incredibly poor last night, and if as many people played and coached horrifically you want to single him out, fine. But he is light years ahead of where Gaffney is defensively. Light years. Bringing Gaffney is may make us marginally better on offense, but it's not going to make us a better team. Yet. Unless Gilbert plays like this every game (which to be fair he hasn't).

Same with Carlton compared to Whalley. Carlton made an awful, awful boneheaded defensive play to start the game, but the rest of it he played well in his 20 minutes. He defended. He blocked shots. He rebounded. Whalley gives you nothing but minutes to rest Carlton. He was totally, totally overwhelmed by very mediocre bigs on the defensive end.

If there is one thing I would fix after last night it wouldn't be the lineup (especially where all 9 guys who played were given plenty of opportunity to show they could do better than the other guys). I would make everyone watch not primarily how Cincy set picks and screens, but how the dribblers used them by actually dribbling closer to the man setting the pick or screen so that daylight opened up. If you want especially to blame the coaches for something, blame them for this. It can't be a point of emphasis to use your pick better because it's not that difficult.
Carlton was horrendous last night, what game were you watching? He got abused down low on defense and was blindly throwing the ball up at the glass on offense. Gilbert has sadly played this way on offense for most of the season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You can’t bench Carlton, Akok, or Vital. AG will probably see minutes reduced, but we’re going as far as him this season. UNLESS Gaffney turns into Doron Sheffer over night.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game and/or look at the box score?

Reaction Score
Vital and AG need to play bench minutes regardless of who starts. Wish it weren’t, but it’s time.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

A 4 guard lineup would kill us. One of the most blatant issues yesterday is how badly we struggle against teams with size.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So Akok played the most minutes yesterday, and we got blown out. If the lineup is the problem, shouldn't Akok play less? And Carlton only played 20 minutes. Shouldn't he play more?

Or is talking out your butt more important than looking at what actually happened last night?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Great assessment

Gaffney is a terrible on ball defender - at this point of his career - as are most incoming players. They are not taught this skill in HS/Prep school. He will get better but it will take time.
Whalley is a back-up not a starter.
DH may be a great technical coach but this team seems to be tactically inept. They play with no offensive plan, no strategy. Other teams run plays, pick and roll etc. UConn is offense that flies by the seat of their pants. Everything is instinctive. It makes you wonder what do they work on in practice - is it skills only?

Reaction Score
I would make everyone watch not primarily how Cincy set picks and screens, but how the dribblers used them by actually dribbling closer to the man setting the pick or screen so that daylight opened up. If you want especially to blame the coaches for something, blame them for this. It can't be a point of emphasis to use your pick better because it's not that difficult.

This is especially frustrating when our posters call out our players for not setting better picks. The guy setting the screen can't move. It's on the ball handler, or the man running off the screen (off the ball) to dribble/run the defender into the guy setting the screen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Freshman Year - the second coming, should play over veterans at his position and average a double/double
Sophomore Year - Bust. Didn't dominate as Freshman, time to move on to the next recruit
Junior Year - Adequate sub.
Senior Year - how will we survive without <blank> next year?

I posted that on December 4, 2015, in response to posters demanding more playing time for freshmen. It is still accurate today.

Reaction Score
This is especially frustrating when our posters call out our players for not setting better picks. The guy setting the screen can't move. It's on the ball handler, or the man running off the screen (off the ball) to dribble/run the defender into the guy setting the screen.

Underrated part of the game. The ballhandlers timing has to be impeccable to run the PnR well. It just comes from experience.

Reaction Score

Gilbert was incredibly poor last night, and if as many people played and coached horrifically you want to sing

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And it's something I harped on endlessly coaching a 6th grade girls team. Yet none of our guys do it well. I will say, that as the ball handler approaches, Josh starts peeling away before he even has a chance to force a switch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom