Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd) | The Boneyard

Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect (Dodd)

Reaction Score
Change may be coming to the College Football Playoff, just not the type you might expect

>>As the fifth College Football Playoff National Championship looms, it's clear after speaking with multiple sources that there is little momentum for an immediate expansion of the current four-team bracket.<<

>>The 11-person CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners plus Notre Dame) and its board of managers (university presidents) will meet Monday in Santa Clara, California, in a regularly-scheduled meeting ahead of the CFP National Championship.

"Right now, it's [just] talks," said a source intimately involved in the process. "I don't think anything is imminent, but I'm guessing we're going to start digging into it a little bit. If people are expecting us to walking about the door saying, 'Here we go,' it's not going to be that way."

Several sources mentioned the word "logistics." Expanding from four to even six teams would have a profound effect on the postseason. Think of pulling a single thread that eventually unravels a garment.<<

Reaction Score
Yeah -- they've already unraveled the post season. Other than the semi-finals, I don't think I watched a combined 30 minutes of football this bowl season. They've already starved all the other bowls. It's just that death will be a while coming.

Reaction Score
Yeah -- they've already unraveled the post season.
What the College Football Poobahs seem to be missing is that interest is waning in college football. Stadiums are rarely full, bowl games are often unwatchable, more and more of the better players with NFL aspirations are opting out and meanwhile, the same two teams keep playing for the NC. The goal should be to increase interest in the sport, not diminish it. The way you do that is by offering more teams a shot at the dance. An 8 team playoff gives a lot more fans an opportunity to stay excited far longer into the season. It's then less important that the "subjectively best" four teams are chosen. Chances are the "best" team will still win the 8 team event but maybe not, and that's what creates excitement rather than yawns. If you don't think adding the wildcards in MLB and the NFL have been a boon to those sports you're not paying attention. 8 seems the right number, maybe 6, but the college football playoff expansion should happen now.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think many, outside the deep South, are sick and tired of the same teams making the finals. I don't give a crap about college football, outside of UConn, because I know it's going to be Alabama and Clemson every year. For now it's Clemson, after they die down it's basically Alabama vs. any one. It's boring and garbage.

I hope the ratings tank this year for the game. Who is really excited to watch the third straight (maybe fourth?) championship game between Clemson and Alabama....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah -- they've already unraveled the post season. Other than the semi-finals, I don't think I watched a combined 30 minutes of football this bowl season. They've already starved all the other bowls. It's just that death will be a while coming.

I watched plenty. Maybe the most in the past decade. Some of it had to do with holiday logistics- we weren't visiting family and had no family visiting us, wife was out of town between Christmas and New Year's.

But I enjoyed watching the games.

The best part of the non playoff bowl games is the clarity of their purpose. It's supposed to be a fun time for alumni and fans to gather for a few days and close out the season watching one more game.

As the prevalence of NFL quality players sitting out becomes the norm, the bowl games will become even more of an exhibition. I've consistently said the best part of a bowl games is getting the extra few weeks of practice as a program and, especially now with the new redshirt rules, using the practices and game as a final exam for the freshmen. Also helps staff set up returning roster and final game film for winter conditioning and setting depth charts.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that a third straight year of snubbing the B1G champion might actually start to foster some change. If change doesn't happen, then the B1G is playing second fiddle to the SEC, and the PAC12 might as well close up shop...

Reaction Score
All about $$ and control of the market. The only hope is the PAC 12 and B1G get fed up. Expect the committee to “fix” that next year. System is an absolute joke but they’ll strangle to golden goose to squeeze out the last egg.

Reaction Score
I don’t drink light beer, why would I watch “NFL light”. College football was always about a different experience.

Then they all got greedy and duck**d it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thought the comment around de-valuing the current bowls.
In all seriousness, does anyone care about who won the rose bowl this year?

with the playoff, most of the bowls have been relegated to an 'NIT' status. better than nothing, but in the end a rather empty trophy

Reaction Score
I think many, outside the deep South, are sick and tired of the same teams making the finals. I don't give a crap about college football, outside of UConn, because I know it's going to be Alabama and Clemson every year. For now it's Clemson, after they die down it's basically Alabama vs. any one. It's boring and garbage.

I hope the ratings tank this year for the game. Who is really excited to watch the third straight (maybe fourth?) championship game between Clemson and Alabama....
What you could do is perhaps draw a line at consecutive playoff appearances while also expanding the field to eight teams.

Reaction Score
I suppose, other than some folks in the northeast, folks are tired of the same team playing in the women's BB finals.

It's boring and garbage, right?

The answer is...play better.

Reaction Score
I suppose, other than some folks in the northeast, folks are tired of the same team playing in the women's BB finals.

No... in that case it’s portrayed by sportswriters as being bad for the sport.

Reaction Score
I am just so damn tired of South Dakota State...winning 6 of last 7 FCS championships.

They need to stop that overloaded joke of a tournament...

LOL

Reaction Score
“Fans—love or hate the particular team in question—can't get enough when it comes to dynasties,” says Noah Cohan, a lecturer in American culture studies at Washington University in St. Louis who specializes in fandom and American sports. "Saying UConn is bad for women's basketball is like saying the 1920s and 1930s Yankees were bad for baseball, or that the 1960s and 1970s UCLA Bruins were bad for men's college basketball. It's just nonsensical when you think about what most fans are looking for out of sports: competitive excellence and familiar stories."

Reaction Score
I suspect the same dynamic is in place for Bama-Clemson.

Reaction Score
Calm down billy, you shouldn’t play with yourself in public!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The 11-person CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners plus Notre Dame)

I am so sick of Notre Dame fudging everything college sports - they had a huge hand in destroying the Big East and will do its best with the ACC
They have the pull of a whole conference?
I wish the NCAA would relegate them to the A-10
I despise the school and who they think they are

Reaction Score
UConndog
I'm calm...I respond to whiners with reasoned responses...Actual banter that might cause some thought.

Adolescent posts are just something that message boards seem to sometimes have from guys who have anger and can express that, but no real topical response.

Reaction Score

The answer is...play better.
Yeah, 64 teams get a chance in womens basketball. Not just a select few to reach 4. But nice try billy

Reaction Score
But same results...64 teams do not really have a chance.

That is a convenient fiction....they can provide the cinderella stories for color and interest but are not going to win it.

The end result is...the same women's basketball team keeps showing up...boring, right?

Folks whine about dynasties..always have...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And..in football,.the season is also the playoff.

Football is not basketball...it is a 12 game regular season.

Every game counts...the playoff starts on opening day.

You must win...you must have a reasonable strength of schedule...and, for most, you must survive a conference CCG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom