Change in Defensive Philosophy | The Boneyard

Change in Defensive Philosophy

Reaction Score
Something I noticed last night. We are switching more than ever on ball screens, especially with Sanogo in the game. Sometimes it's switch until your guy can recover, but many times it's a straight up switch, rather than fight through the screen to stick with your man which it has been in the past. This should alleviate so many straight line drives to the basket

Reaction Score
Turns out Hurley is a coach who can adapt his team’s game plan to fit the strengths of the players he has on the roster . Who woulda thunk it (except lots of BY malcontents)?

That being said, I thought that UNCW exploited the switch quite a bit by getting Adama to switch off to their quicker guards at the foul line. Many straight line drives happened. Not sure if help just got there late, but I’m sure the coaches will review the game tape and adjust.

For what it’s worth, I thought UNCW displayed a really nice screen/pick n roll offense. They are going to win a lot of games in their conference.

Reaction Score
The high hedge has also mostly disappeared. Only remember seeing it once all season
There's still been several high hedges with Sanogo, you may notice it less because he's more competent now at completing the hedge without fouling and recovering to his man after the pick and roll action was distributed.

His defense has taken a step up this year in addition to his offensive efficiency.

Reaction Score
I always hated the high hedge, it’s been good to see it not used as much as it has been.

Reaction Score
The hard hedge also depends on the offense of the other team. If they're not running high PnR, we're either not needing to hedge at all or you're not going to notice the hedge as strongly (less distance for the recovery).

Reaction Score
Be careful not to open the 3 for the other guy. Our 3 defense left people open and the BE will kill you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom