Champions League & Europa draws complete | The Boneyard

Champions League & Europa draws complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the UCL an absolute awful draw for the Italians w/ Juve v Bayern and Roma v Real...and poor Arsenal, they get bit every year with a bad draw (laughing a little on the inside)

ROUND OF 16 DRAW
16 February & 9 March
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) v Chelsea (ENG)
Benfica (POR) v Zenit (RUS)
17 February & 8 March
Gent (BEL) v Wolfsburg (GER)
Roma (ITA) v Real Madrid (ESP)
23 February & 16 March
Arsenal (ENG) v Barcelona (ESP)
Juventus (ITA) v Bayern München (GER)
24 February & 15 March
PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Atlético Madrid (ESP)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) v Manchester City (ENG)

For Europa, also a difficult draw for the Italians, a great draw for Liverpool and Man U, and a tough draw for Tottenham (but good that they can take out an Italian club.

Round of 32 draw, matches 18 & 25 February
Valencia (ESP) v Rapid Wien (AUT)
Fiorentina (ITA) v Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
Borussia Dortmund (GER) v Porto (POR)
Fenerbahçe (TUR) v Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)*
Anderlecht (BEL) v Olympiacos (GRE)
Midtjylland (DEN) v Manchester United (ENG)
Augsburg (GER) v Liverpool (ENG)
Sparta Praha (CZE) v Krasnodar (RUS)
Galatasaray (TUR) v Lazio (ITA)
Sion (SUI) v Braga (POR)**
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) v Schalke (GER)
Marseille (FRA) v Athletic Club (ESP)
Sevilla (ESP, holders) v Molde (NOR)
Sporting CP (POR) v Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
Villarreal (ESP) v Napoli (ITA)
St-Étienne (FRA) v Basel (SUI)

Reaction Score
Odd draw as a lot of power teams were paired - Arsenal v Barca, PSG v. Chelsea (not really a power team right now), Roma v. Real, and Bayern v. Juventus while Benfica gets Zenit. If the Gunners have a mathematical chance of advancing after the first match, it will be a miracle.

My guess the survivors will be: PSG (France), Zenit (Russia), Wolfsburg (Germany), Real (Spain), Barca (Spain), Bayern (Germany), PSV (Netherlands) - my one upset, and City (England) - and I am really worried about them.

Reaction Score
is it just me, or does PSG/Chelski keep happening?

Reaction Score
Odd draw as a lot of power teams were paired - Arsenal v Barca, PSG v. Chelsea (not really a power team right now), Roma v. Real, and Bayern v. Juventus while Benfica gets Zenit. If the Gunners have a mathematical chance of advancing after the first match, it will be a miracle.

My guess the survivors will be: PSG (France), Zenit (Russia), Wolfsburg (Germany), Real (Spain), Barca (Spain), Bayern (Germany), PSV (Netherlands) - my one upset, and City (England) - and I am really worried about them.
I think Chelsea will pull of the upset over PSG, and advance along with Zenit, Wolfsburg, Real, Barca, Bayern, Atheltico, and City. With Tottenham's luck Chelsea will make another ridiculous run thru UCL, win the whole thing, bumping Spurs (who will have finished 4th in EPL) out of the UCL yet again..... The effers

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think Chelsea will pull of the upset over PSG, and advance along with Zenit, Wolfsburg, Real, Barca, Bayern, Atheltico, and City. With Tottenham's luck Chelsea will make another ridiculous run thru UCL, win the whole thing, bumping Spurs (who will have finished 4th in EPL) out of the UCL yet again..... The effers
I don't see Chelsea beating PSG or Tottenham beating Fiorentina so Tottenham will have a much better chance of playing in the CL next year.

Reaction Score
Elimination play begins this week!!!! Big games for all English and Italian teams whose leagues are competing for that all import 4th UCL spot for 2017. Each leagues coefficients are extremely close.

Tuesday:
Benfica v Zenit St Pete
PSG v Chelsea

Wednesday:
Gent v Wolfsburg
Roma v Real Madrid

Thursday (Europa) the bigger matches (and EPL teams) are:
Fiorentina v Spurs
Midtyilland (Denmark) v Man U
Villarreal v Napoli
Augsburg v Licerpool
Galatasary v Lazio

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Predictions (to go through):
Benfica
PSG

Wolfsburg
Real Madrid (in a much closer tie than expected)

Fiorentina (in a close one)
Man United (barely)
Napoli
Liverpool
Galatasaray (Lazio will underperform in Europe as usual)

Reaction Score
Elimination play begins this week!!!! Big games for all English and Italian teams whose leagues are competing for that all import 4th UCL spot for 2017. Each leagues coefficients are extremely close.

Tuesday:
PSG v Chelsea

Any chance Costa has the same ability to drive PSG players out of their mind resulting in one or more ejections or does he save that for just Arsenal?

Reaction Score
Any chance Costa has the same ability to drive PSG players out of their mind resulting in one or more ejections or does he save that for just Arsenal?
Costa is an equal opportunity scumbag, he acts like that with everyone, Arsenal just seem to take the bait time and time and time and time again.

Reaction Score
And United's woes continue, losing 2-1 at Denmark's 3rd place team. WTF.
English and Italian clubs came out of the week no worse off regarding coefficients. Both countries finished 0-2-2.

Reaction Score
And United's woes continue, losing 2-1 at Denmark's 3rd place team. .
English and Italian clubs came out of the week no worse off regarding coefficients. Both countries finished 0-2-2.

United losing is always a good thing. I know EPL's performance in the Champions and Europa is a concern; but, with the money and marketing that the EPL teams has I really can't see them losing any slots, even to the Spanish and German leagues who look to be very tip heavy. The EPL has more quality teams from top to bottom that the other leagues and that each team has to deal with in the Premiership schedule I believe is a key reason why EPL teams have in the European tournaments.

Reaction Score
United losing is always a good thing. I know EPL's performance in the Champions and Europa is a concern; but, with the money and marketing that the EPL teams has I really can't see them losing any slots, even to the Spanish and German leagues who look to be very tip heavy. The EPL has more quality teams from top to bottom that the other leagues and that each team has to deal with in the Premiership schedule I believe is a key reason why EPL teams have in the European tournaments.
Agree that due to the EPL being a more competitive league, top to bottom, than Italy and Germany they are not as fresh when playing UCL and Europa. That said, all the marketing and money isn't going to keep that 4th UCL slot (unless they convince UEFA to change the rule of how slots are allocated). EPL need some wins and deep runs in the next couple years, combined with Italian teams bowing out early. EPL is solid for the next couple season, but 2018/19 and 2019/20 season are where they could lose the 4th slot for a year or two. Series A clubs had a huge year in 2014/15 while EPL had its worse showing that same year. Combined with EPL had a good year in 2011/12 and Series A did not. Those points (from 11/12) go away after this season which is why the leagues are writhing .4 points of one another.

Uefa coefficient link

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Agree that due to the EPL being a more competitive league, top to bottom, than Italy and Germany they are not as fresh when playing UCL and Europa. That said, all the marketing and money isn't going to keep that 4th UCL slot (unless they convince UEFA to change the rule of how slots are allocated). EPL need some wins and deep runs in the next couple years, combined with Italian teams bowing out early. EPL is solid for the next couple season, but 2018/19 and 2019/20 season are where they could lose the 4th slot for a year or two. Series A clubs had a huge year in 2014/15 while EPL had its worse showing that same year. Combined with EPL had a good year in 2011/12 and Series A did not. Those points (from 11/12) go away after this season which is why the leagues are writhing .4 points of one another.

Uefa coefficient link
Serie A will pass the EPL next year as Tottenham, Leicester, Arsenal, and Man City will all likely go out before the quarterfinals in the CL, and Man U, West Ham, etc. aren't exactly going to light the EL on fire.

Reaction Score
Serie A will pass the EPL next year as Tottenham, Leicester, Arsenal, and Man City will all likely go out before the quarterfinals in the CL, and Man U, West Ham, etc. aren't exactly going to light the EL on fire.
shizzle, who is your team? Obviously you're a fan of Series A, who do you support?

I'm still not banking on Spurs finishing top 4. As a relatively long time fan, they have a tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... Things do feel different this season tho, so fingers crossed. If they do qualify I think they'll do just fine in UCL as they will bring in some quality and have depth. It will be interesting to see what Leicester does with the added demands of UCL and how they spend the $$$ they get as a result. I keep thinking they will revert to being Leicester of old and fall out of top 4, but they keep proving me wrong. For Arsenal and City it is business as usual. City is going to be pretty good and are willing to spend. Arsenal will continue to get out of group stages, then draw either Bayern or a top Spanish side and make an early exit.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
shizzle, who is your team? Obviously you're a fan of Series A, who do you support?

I'm still not banking on Spurs finishing top 4. As a relatively long time fan, they have a tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... Things do feel different this season tho, so fingers crossed. If they do qualify I think they'll do just fine in UCL as they will bring in some quality and have depth. It will be interesting to see what Leicester does with the added demands of UCL and how they spend the $$$ they get as a result. I keep thinking they will revert to being Leicester of old and fall out of top 4, but they keep proving me wrong. For Arsenal and City it is business as usual. City is going to be pretty good and are willing to spend. Arsenal will continue to get out of group stages, then draw either Bayern or a top Spanish side and make an early exit.
I am a Juventus fan. As far as Tottenham, this seems to be a different Spurs. Also, Man U is not catching them, and neither is West Ham or Liverpool (or Chelsea). I wouldn't worry if I were you, you WILL be in the Champions League next year.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am a Juventus fan. As far as Tottenham, this seems to be a different Spurs. Also, Man U is not catching them, and neither is West Ham or Liverpool (or Chelsea). I wouldn't worry if I were you, you WILL be in the Champions League next year.
Also, next year, Serie A and the EPL will start the season with a virtual tie as far as the coefficients are concerned (Serie A would have a minuscule advantage). Because Serie A will have one less team, that will be an advantage for them as once you get past 6th in Italy, those teams don't perform in Europe (the current top six in Italy is Juventus, Napoli, Fiorentina, Roma, Inter, and Milan). Btw, even if Chelsea won the CL (yea right), the rules have changed so Tottenham would be in if they finished fourth, as long as another English side outside the top 4 doesn't win the Europa League.

Reaction Score
Arsenal hanging tough after the first 45 minutes, tied 0-0 at half. From the stat line (I'm not watching it) looks like they are conceding possession, defending hard (lot's of fouls). Only taken one shot, but only given up 4 to Barca (none on target)

Bayern up 1-0 on Juve at the break. Interesting that an English ref (Martin Atkinson) is officiating the Juve game given how close the two leagues are in coefficients

Reaction Score
Messi......
Juve with a nice comeback being down 2-0 to earn the draw. Probably should have gone ahead late too.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Messi.
Juve with a nice comeback being down 2-0 to earn the draw. Probably should have gone ahead late too.
The second leg in Germany will be interesting. Whoever scores first probably goes through.

Reaction Score
Well. the Gunners played better than I thought they did; but, they don't have Messi on their team - who else does? . Sanchez looked like a man on a mission in the first half; but, they shut him down in the second. Arsenal had several quality chances; but could not convert due to a few bad bounces, a missed kicked, and a fine save or two by Stegen. Against a team like Barcelona, those have to be converted because quality chances are few and far between. Now, they need to win, with at least 3 goals, and win by at least 2 goals. Cripes.

Reaction Score
It was a very good game to watch, Arsenal had some good opportunities, but Barca just wore them down, Defending the big 3 for 90 minutes is a tall task.

Reaction Score
yeah it should be straight up goals for and against and if it is even at the end of regulation in the second leg, play the golden goal as the tie breaker.

Reaction Score
A much needed result for the EPL yesterday with City winning 3-1 away. That should all but secure their going thru to the next round.

In Europa Lazio gets thru by winning over Galatasaray, and Liverpool narrowly escapes Augsburg 1-0 to advance as well. Fenerbache, Athletic Club, Leverkusen Sparta Prague, Valencia, and Shakhtar Donetsk all advance

7 more matches about to start, the 4 biggest being Spurs v Fiorentina tied 1-1 on aggregate. Spurs will be short handed as Kane is out with a broken nose, and Vertongen still out. They'll need big games from Chadli, Alli, Lamela and Eriksen.
Also, Man U is down on aggregate 1-0 returning to Old Trafford against Midtjyllland (sp?); Napoli down 1-0 on aggregate returning home against a solid Valencia; and Porto is down 2-0 returning home to play Dortmund

In other news, Tottenham's bid to build a new stadium in North London was just approved by the mayor. Will have 61,000 capacity, and built to accommodate an alternate surface for NFL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom