Champions League (and Europa) Week 2 | The Boneyard

Champions League (and Europa) Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some decent week 2 fixtures to look forward to.... PSG hosts Barca, City v Roma, Juventus at the other Madrid in UCL. For the EPL fans, Chelsea @ Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool @ FC Basel, and Arsenal v Galatasary. For UEFA Thursday it's Spurs v Besiktas, Wolfsburg v Lille, PSV Eindhoven @ Dinamo Moscow, and Celtic hosting Dinamo Zagreb, and for the EPl'ers Everton @ Krasnador.

This will be the 6th game in less than 3 weeks for the english clubs? Tha alone could lead to some less than favorable results.

Reaction Score
PSG will get rolled by Barca. Chelsea at the other Sporting should be interesting.

Reaction Score
PSG will get rolled by Barca. Chelsea at the other Sporting should be interesting.
PSG leading barca 2-1 in the 31st minute.
City and Roma tied at 1 as well.
Chelsea 1-0 over Sporting mid 1st half.
Bayern escpaes Moscow with a 1-0 win. A better result than the last time the Germans invaded Russia.

Reaction Score
PSG leading barca 2-1 in the 31st minute.
City and Roma tied at 1 as well.
Chelsea 1-0 over Sporting mid 1st half.
Bayern escpaes Moscow with a 1-0 win. A better result than the last time the Germans invaded Russia.

Wow. Without the Zlatan?

Reaction Score
All finals...PSG over barca 3-2, Chelsea 1-0 over Sporting, City and Roma 1-1 (that's a good road point for Roma), and Bayern with the result.

Reaction Score
Why is it that poor soccer refereeing is so much harder to stomach than bad reffing in other sports?

The Russian ref doing the Olympiakos-Malmo game had the British announcers calling for his permanent banning from any games of consequence. He was so monumentally one-sided against Olympiakos that I seriously wonder if money exchanged hands. Or if UEFA badly needs Atletico and Juventus to pass through at Olympiakos's expense.

Early in the game, he called offsides on an onsides spectacular goal that the sideline ref never raised his flag for. Never saw that one before.

Then a clear stonewall takedown in the penalty box resulted in a yellow card for diving on the Olympiakos player. The announcers were astounded.

The same Malmo player went cleats up three times on Olympiakos players who were writhing in agony. Two of the replays showed the cleats connecting with the non-protected back part of the leg near the achilles. The announcers thought two of the slides were worthy of red cards, but the ref told the Olympiakos player to get up.

To make matters worse, the two Spaniards in the back for Olympiakos had a horrendous miscommunication as a pass back from the CB Botia in the box bounced off the goalie Roberto and at the feet of a Malmo player who stuck it into an open net.

It should have been a 2-1 victory for Olympiakos but ended in a 2-0 loss.

It's so hard to watch incompetent soccer refereeing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Finally, we put together a decent game. Granted it was at home vs Galatasaray, but I'll take 4-1 everyday, Welbeck hattrick. (could have done without the RC though)
Also Atletico Madrid over Juventus 1-0 (everyone is on 3 pts in Group A). Basel takes down Liverpool 1-0. Zenit stays atop Group C with a draw vs Monaco 0-0. Borussia still running rampant, 3-0 over Anderlecht (Kljestan doesn't get in game)
All finals...PSG over barca 3-2, Chelsea 1-0 over Sporting, City and Roma 1-1 (that's a good road point for Roma), and Bayern with the result.
Love the UnderArsenal in your Avatar too. ;)

Reaction Score
Finally, we put together a decent game. Granted it was at home vs Galatasaray, but I'll take 4-1 everyday, Welbeck hattrick. (could have done without the RC though)
Also Atletico Madrid over Juventus 1-0 (everyone is on 3 pts in Group A). Basel takes down Liverpool 1-0. Zenit stays atop Group C with a draw vs Monaco 0-0. Borussia still running rampant, 3-0 over Anderlecht (Kljestan doesn't get in game)

Love the UnderArsenal in your Avatar too. ;)

I watched the replay a few times. That was a clear attempt on the ball and the actual contact looked worse that it actually was. The PK was deserved, especially as Szczesny was late coming-off the line; but, I do not think it was a Red worthy.

Nevertheless, a win is a win, is a win. I do have a bad feeling about the pending EPL game against Chelsea, though. I can picture the Gunner's porous back line getting abused.

On a side bar, I had a friendly tech guy at work give me access to my work laptop's wallpaper. It's now UConn. As a Arsenal fan, seeing the Man U crest every morning in the office was making me ill. Would have changed it to Arsenal; but, I thought someone up the food chain may get upset, so I compromised.

Reaction Score

It infuriates me that PSG is now able to compete at the Champions now level just because of the influx of oil money. Lyon worked its tail off with good; but not fantastic resources, and solid youth development and only made the Semi's once out of 12 times and now PSG looks like it could make the semis or further in less than 3 years since Qatar entered the picture.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It infuriates me that PSG is now able to compete at the Champions now level just because of the influx of oil money. Lyon worked its tail off with good; but not fantastic resources, and solid youth development and only made the Semi's once out of 12 times and now PSG looks like it could make the semis or further in less than 3 years since Qatar entered the picture.

PSG essentially took a zillion dollars and poached a Serie A all-star team. Ibrahimovic, Lavezzi, Cavani, Verratti, Motta, Sirigu, Thiago Silva, Pastore, and Maxwell. I'm infuriated too; not because PSG did this with the money (see Man City, etc.), but that they stole some of my favorite players from my favorite league...

Reaction Score
PSG essentially took a zillion dollars and poached a Serie A all-star team. Ibrahimovic, Lavezzi, Cavani, Verratti, Motta, Sirigu, Thiago Silva, Pastore, and Maxwell. I'm infuriated too; not because PSG did this with the money (see Man City, etc.), but that they stole some of my favorite players from my favorite league...

I hear you. Same reason I liked the Yankees of the late 90's and early 00's a lot better than the teams of the late 00's and 10's. Those earlier team won the Sries because they spent money on a couple of key players (O'Neil, Martinez, Cone, etc.) to supplement the core team that worked and earned it's way to the majors - Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Williams. That was a team I could get behind. A team of CC+, Tex the wrist, Pine Tar Pienda, and A-Roid is a lot harder.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched the replay a few times. That was a clear attempt on the ball and the actual contact looked worse that it actually was. The PK was deserved, especially as Szczesny was late coming-off the line; but, I do not think it was a Red worthy.
If the ref called the foul, it had to be a PK and pretty much had to be a RC. The RC wasn't for the contact it was for Denying a Goal Scoring Opportunity (Foul). The only way it might not have been a RC, was if the Attacker pushed the ball to far away on that last touch, which I don't think he did.

Reaction Score
You have got to check out De Bruyne's goal for Wolfsburg to draw even with Lille in the 81st minute. One of the best you will see this season (Jagielka-esque, but even better in my opinion).

Reaction Score
If the ref called the foul, it had to be a PK and pretty much had to be a RC. The RC wasn't for the contact it was for Denying a Goal Scoring Opportunity (Foul). The only way it might not have been a RC, was if the Attacker pushed the ball to far away on that last touch, which I don't think he did.

Guess I am just old school when a player had to earn a Red Card and even then, a Red Car or foul was not necessarily guaranteed, such as the 2982 World Cup (my fist memory of World cup soccer).

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...f-the-ugliest-incidents-in-world-cup-history/

If this happended today, Schumacher would be Red Carded, suspended (likely forever), possibly arrested for assault with intent to injure, and likely be taking a PED test.

Reaction Score
Besiktas is completely outplaying Spurs at WHL, but Spurs clinging to 1-0 lead in the 70th minute. Sahan shold have about 3 goals for Besiktas by now, including what would have been an epic half volley that just went wide. He's hit the woordowrk, he's mishit from point blank range... Spurs are playing their B team, with exception of Lloris, but they are getting outworked.

Reaction Score
PSG and Man City are what the Arabs are doing to gain influence over UEFA and FIFA in general. Although right now there is a dispute between the Qataris and the UAE people.

Reaction Score
and Spurs called for a handball on Chiriches (righfully so) after he terribly misplayed a ball while defending at edge of the box in the 88th minute for a PK. Demba Ba covnerts the PK to draw to 1-1.

Reaction Score
Chiriches should not be allowed to see the pitch again. He almost gave up another weak turnover in his own box during added time. Spurs lucky to get a point.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Chiriches should not be allowed to see the pitch again. He almost gave up another weak turnover in his own box during added time. Spurs lucky to get a point.

Agree on Chiriches - he just needed to get any part of his body on that ball and there is no goal, but instead he whiffs and pops the ball with his hand. But at least it was Ba who had put in the effort all game; but for Lloris he has a few goals himself.

Speaking of Lloris - he has been playing amazing soccer lately. He seems to always be in just the right place, and he (at least lately) has not been getting himself into squirrely situations where he tries to play a ball from the edge of the box but fails to gain possession.

The only positive I saw on offense yesterday was Kane. I really like his game, and he seems to be playing with a lot of confidence and composure. It's too bad he didn't get the second goal (reeled in a pass at the top of the box, and cracked a shot off a short hop, unfortunately right to the keeper), but I hope to see more of him going forward.

I was also happy with the play of Stambouli; he was creative with the ball and helped push play upfield.

Other than that, not too many positives from yesterday. I really don't know what the deal is with Soldado, but I am ready to give up the experiment. We need a second striker so bad; perhaps we can relesase two midfielders to get some money because he has been an absolutely dud (my memory says he has one goal this calendar year - that's not right is it?).

And last thought - I have never seen White Hart Lane look as bad as it did yesterday. Empty seats down low, whole empty sections up top, and the Turks dominating the atmosphere. Does anyone know what that was about? Are we just tired of Europa competition?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guess I am just old school when a player had to earn a Red Card and even then, a Red Car or foul was not necessarily guaranteed, such as the 2982 World Cup (my fist memory of World cup soccer).

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...f-the-ugliest-incidents-in-world-cup-history/

If this happended today, Schumacher would be Red Carded, suspended (likely forever), possibly arrested for assault with intent to injure, and likely be taking a PED test.
FWIW, there is a lot of talk about the severity of the penalty on a Denies Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity. Particularly when it involves the GK. Keeper is sent off so they have to play down, misses next game, PK, and then have to use a sub to get a GK on the pitch. Don't know if it will change in the future, but lots of people think it's too much.

Reaction Score
FWIW, there is a lot of talk about the severity of the penalty on a Denies Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity. Particularly when it involves the GK. Keeper is sent off so they have to play down, misses next game, PK, and then have to use a sub to get a GK on the pitch. Don't know if it will change in the future, but lots of people think it's too much.

Did you see or hear about the Colorado Rapids game about two weeks ago? Their keeper Joe Nasco, got sent off in the first 30 seconds of the game. Fastest red card in league history. The fact that that guy gets paid amazes me. Just brutal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Did you see or hear about the Colorado Rapids game about two weeks ago? Their keeper Joe Nasco, got sent off in the first 30 seconds of the game. Fastest red card in league history. The fact that that guy gets paid amazes me. Just brutal.

Hadn't seen or heard about that one. But yea, that was a pretty easy RC. When you pointy-ball tackle the guy right before he pokes it into an empty net from 4 yards out, even I could have made that call. Nice defense there though, 34 seconds and you give up a shot on goal. :eek:

Reaction Score

Would make sense; but, its FIFA, common sense is lacking there.

The last time I played keeper about 10 years ago in a rec league, I had a striker with a one on one against me and went horizontal on him to try to cut off his angle. He waited too long and tried taking a shot right on top of me. The 'penalty' was that he dislocated his kneecap hitting me square in the temple and I got to go for a ride in an ambulance, which I don't remember nor do I remember the day before the game nor the few days after the game that well. With a wife and 1 kid at the time, I decided (wife ordered) that I would longer play keeper.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

That's hilarious that he acts shocked. He freaking tackled the guy with his hands. I know goalies are the only players who can use their hands but that's a little much! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom