Champions & Europa week 4 | The Boneyard

Champions & Europa week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Juventus gets a shot at redemption when they host Olympiakos
Arsenal and Dortmund can officially lock up their already assured spots in knockout play...both with home matches against teams they should dominate.
Real Madrid will be playing "how much do we want to win by" at home v. Liverpool.
Bayern gets Roma at home, after throtling them in Rome last time out.
City will get to see if they can hold a lead this time v. Moscow at the Ethiad.

Not too many big matches in Europa (those get going once knockout play begins and the 8 3rd place Champions League finishers enter the round of 32. For the BPL fans.... Everton gets Lille at home and Spurs travel to Tripoli

Reaction Score
Juventus gets a shot at redemption when they host Olympiakos
Arsenal and Dortmund can officially lock up their already assured spots in knockout play...both with home matches against teams they should dominate.
Real Madrid will be playing "how much do we want to win by" at home v. Liverpool.
Bayern gets Roma at home, after throtling them in Rome last time out.
City will get to see if they can hold a lead this time v. Moscow at the Ethiad.

Not too many big matches in Europa (those get going once knockout play begins and the 8 3rd place Champions League finishers enter the round of 32. For the BPL fans.... Everton gets Lille at home and Spurs travel to Tripoli

Did Moscow get penalized in some fashion after having fans (200-500) attend their game in Moscow though it was supposed to be an empty stadium due to racisms issues in the first leg?

Reaction Score
Did Moscow get penalized in some fashion after having fans (200-500) attend their game in Moscow though it was supposed to be an empty stadium due to racisms issues in the first leg?
Haven't heard anything. Read an article from BBC where Kompany was pretty vocal about it, complaining it was City who were penalized since no away fans were allowed to attend either. Suppsoedly there were 300 tickets or so set aside for sponsors or UEFA partners, but turns out those in the stands were avid Moscow supporters. CSKA spokesperson said all tickets were issued by UEFA, not CSKA, so they had no input on who got the tickets. It's all BS, the game never should have been played in Moscow, let alone Russia. If they really wanted to penalize them, the game should have been moved to a neurtral site in another country.

Reaction Score
Haven't heard anything. Read an article from BBC where Kompany was pretty vocal about it, complaining it was City who were penalized since no away fans were allowed to attend either. Suppsoedly there were 300 tickets or so set aside for sponsors or UEFA partners, but turns out those in the stands were avid Moscow supporters. CSKA spokesperson said all tickets were issued by UEFA, not CSKA, so they had no input on who got the tickets. It's all BS, the game never should have been played in Moscow, let alone Russia. If they really wanted to penalize them, the game should have been moved to a neurtral site in another country.

Thanks. I read elsewhere that the EPL is pushing for UEFA to close the loophole that allowed some CSKA fans to attend the game in Moscow and City wants CSKA to reimburse City and who travelled to Moscow; but, could not attend the game. What I did not know is that CSKA fans are barred from the next leg in Manchester, too.

And I agree on the ban, too. Make them move the game to a neutral site, or better yet, give the other team 2 home games. Home field can be such an advantage that the threat of such a penalty would really force teams to clamp down on this stuff.

Reaction Score
Just as I was typing that Olympiakos seems to have Juventus' number, leading 2-1 at the 63 minute mark after beating them a couple weeks ago...Juve comes back with 2 goals in 2 minutes to take a 3-2 lead 66 minutes in.
Dortmund and Arsenal doing as they are supposed to, both with 2 goal leads an hour+ in.
Liverpool hanging with Real, only down a goal.

Reaction Score
Just unreal by Anderlecht. Andy Najar and Sachs Kliestjan played the full 90 though.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't even go back to check that score, just assumed Arsenal closed the deal stting on 2 goal lead with 2o minutes to play. What the hell happened? Big visit to Wales to take on the Swans Sunday. (Come On You Swans).

Reaction Score
Just unreal by Anderlecht. Andy Najar and Sachs Kliestjan played the full 90 though.

Arsenal went into a defensive shell after jumping out to a 3 goal lead. Unfortunately, they don't have any left who knows how to play defense. Should have just kept scoring because if they are scoring, the other team can't.

Reaction Score
Arsenal went into a defensive shell after jumping out to a 3 goal lead. Unfortunately, they don't have any left who knows how to play defense. Should have just kept scoring because if they are scoring, the other team can't.

If you go up 3-0, why do you need to do that? You're obviously dominating, you keep om trying to score.

Reaction Score
Arsenal will still get out of the group stages, just assures their spot as #2 which means a potential tougher draw for the round of 16.

Reaction Score
Arsenal will still get out of the group stages, just assures their spot as #2 which means a potential tougher draw for the round of 16.

True and even with a win, I doubt the Gunners could have caught Dortmund. I just really wanted positive momentum from a key win over Anderlecht before Arsenal has to deal with their schedule at the end of the month - 11/22 v Man U (EPL), 11/26 v. Dortmund (CL), 11/29 @ WBA (EPL), 12/3 Southampton (EPL). Plus, they have Swansea in a few days in Wales and that will not be a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination.

not sure what I want more. A good showing against Dortmund (would take a tie) and then 3 points from Swansea and Man U or a handful of serviceable fullbacks to shore up the porous damn they currently have in place.

Reaction Score
All pretty tightly contested matches at the half today. All 8 games either tied or 1 goal differential. City is down 2-1 to CSKA Moscow at the break...at the Ethiad no less. Chelsea is even with Maribor

Reaction Score
All pretty tightly contested matches at the half today. All 8 games either tied or 1 goal differential. City is down 2-1 to CSKA Moscow at the break...at the Ethiad no less. Chelsea is even with Maribor

SEC! SEC! oh wait... EPL EPL...

In all seriousness, EPL and MLS seem to be the only leagues with more than 2 or 3 offerings on the menu worth ordering.

Reaction Score
City falls, Chelsea draws, and the other favorites hold form with wins this afternoon.

Reaction Score
SEC! SEC! oh wait... EPL EPL...

In all seriousness, EPL and MLS seem to be the only leagues with more than 2 or 3 offerings on the menu worth ordering.
EPL struggling overall in Champions League play. Chelsea and Arsenal should both advance out of group play, but City and Liverpool won't be so fortunate. The Bundesliga and La Liga teams seem to be handling their business. La Liga is going to put 3 of 4 teams thru (Bilboa has the bed in a relatively light group), and Bundesliga may advance all 4 teams, with 3 of the 4 winning their groups.

Reaction Score
EPL struggling overall in Champions League play. Chelsea and Arsenal should both advance out of group play, but City and Liverpool won't be so fortunate. The Bundesliga and La Liga teams seem to be handling their business. La Liga is going to put 3 of 4 teams thru (Bilboa has the bed in a relatively light group), and Bundesliga may advance all 4 teams, with 3 of the 4 winning their groups.

City fell apart today. Not only did they lose at home; but, two players got shiny pieces of red plastic waved at them. Are they suspended for the next match?

On a related note, the EPL really needs to press UEFA about how team attendance 'suspensions' are enforced as CSKA obviously had fans in attendance. What is EURFA afraid of, the Russian oligarchs pulling their money?

Reaction Score
CSKA moscow's first goal was BS. That should not have been a hand ball, forgot which player it was but he never had a chance to move his arm away. Beyond that, they have no excuses. And now people are saying Pellegrini is on the hot seat. Craziness.

Other cool and interesting things.

-Dortmund is in the Bundesliga relegation zone, but they are 4-0 in UCL.

-We're in the golden age of goal scorers right now. Ronaldo and Messi will be breaking their own records every time the take the pitch in UCL.

-Sporting KC sold Uri Rosell to Sporting Lisbon in June and yesterday he had an assist in their win in UCL. That's my Uri getting it done in the Champions League.

-Man City and Chelsea are having trouble selling their UCL tickets. I don't know if it's spoiled fans, but apparently Man City was offering a 2 for 1 deal.

Reaction Score
-Man City and Chelsea are having trouble selling their UCL tickets. I don't know if it's spoiled fans, but apparently Man City was offering a 2 for 1 deal.

Chelski supporters are known for being the absolute worst - Rafa called em out years ago and even Mou said playing at Stamford Bridge is like playing in an empty stadium.

All of Europe knows the best supporters are Reds from Liverpool - including a "Welcome to Madrid - great clubs breed great supporters" banner from the madrid supporters. A buddy of mine said UConn fans are a lot like those in Red, passionate beyond comparison and dedicated to travel. Loved it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually they didn't go into a defensive shell. That would have been a good idea. They did stop playing though, I guess, like us thought it was wrapped up.

What the hell happened?
1) a blown offside call, but you're still up 3-1
2) stupid penalty by a LB who shouldn't be playing CB (but because Arsenal suck in the transfer market.....)
3) Typical Arsenal switching off on defense and crumbling when under pressure

BUT, they learned a lesson. :rolleyes: (I'm sure they won't let it happen again.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
not sure what I want more. A good showing against Dortmund (would take a tie) and then 3 points from Swansea and Man U or a handful of serviceable fullbacks to shore up the porous damn they currently have in place.
FB's they got. Like 4 of them that can play and 1 injured. CB's they need. Only 2 of them and 1 of them is injured.

Need a decent DM too. Badly. Flamini and/or Arteta just don't cut it.

Reaction Score
Chelski supporters are known for being the absolute worst - Rafa called em out years ago and even Mou said playing at Stamford Bridge is like playing in an empty stadium.

All of Europe knows the best supporters are Reds from Liverpool - including a "Welcome to Madrid - great clubs breed great supporters" banner from the madrid supporters. A buddy of mine said UConn fans are a lot like those in Red, passionate beyond comparison and dedicated to travel. Loved it.

I have heard comparisons between Chelsea fans an Miami Heat fans, when they are popular, people go, when they aren't no one goes. Also, I think the infusion of foreign money (owners) and foreign players have to varying degrees disenfranchised fans at many EPL teams.

Reaction Score
Actually they didn't go into a defensive shell. That would have been a good idea. They did stop playing though, I guess, like us thought it was wrapped up.

1) a blown offside call, but you're still up 3-1
2) stupid penalty by a LB who shouldn't be playing CB (but because Arsenal suck in the transfer market.....)
3) Typical Arsenal switching off on defense and crumbling when under pressure

BUT, they learned a lesson. :rolleyes: (I'm sure they won't let it happen again.)

I did not catch the game, just the highlights so I do not know the entire story. Saw the first goal, it was borderline offside. Still, it was just one goal. Giving up three was just poor form. May not have been a defensive shell; but, Arsenal seems to forget how to play defense when it's needed. Still, it's better than Man U, which needs to look up the word 'defense' in the dictionary.

Reaction Score
Spurs B side get a road result to all but assure their passage out of group stages.
Everton's A team is up 2-0 over Lille at the half.

Europa is a bit of a bore right now, but this years knockout stage should boost the intensity now that they've changed the rules to guarentee the winner a spot in next seasons UCL. When you factor in the teams that advance from group play and the eight 3rd place UCL finishers - teams like Man City, Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Ajax to name a few - joining the likes of Everton, Spurs, Monchengladbach, Villareal, Intern Milan, Napoli, Fiorentina, etc... it will make the elimination rounds a lot more entertaining. Teams will position their lineups and efforts depending on where they are sitting in their league tables. If City is still a solid 2nd spot, they may not go as all out in Europa and risk dropping to 4th or worse. Spurs and Everton on the other hand may be in a position where they realize Europa may be their best path to UCL.

Good times awaiting us in the Spring.

Reaction Score
Arggh. The thing that always kills me about the CL is that the teams who get the weakest member early can always make a gentleman's agreement to tie the last game and thereby both advance to the 16.

Olympiakos beat Malmo 4-2 today, but despite victories against Atletico and Juventus earlier, they are out today. A Juventus tie sent them in, and Atletico just needed a tie to finish 1st. So Atletico never attacked, and Juventus stopped trying to score with 25 minutes left.

If the matches had been reversed, and if Juve and Olympiakos had played Malmo in the 4th and 5th weeks, then both Olympiakos and Juventus would have played today with the winner advancing. And Atletico may not have finished 1st if Juventus had tried harder to beat them in the 4th/5th week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom