Chamonix | The Boneyard

Chamonix

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Take the cable car up Aiguille de Midi. Try to figure out how they built the structures on the mountain. Eat at Le Fin Bouche. Was there for only 1 night on a south France/Alps, but always wanted to go back.

Aiguille du midi cable car Chamonix-Mont-Blanc : Practical information about the lifts à Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
Somewhere up top is a crazy picture of women riding an open platform (no walls, buckles, seats) up the original wires, having a blast. It is crazy, especially after riding the hyper safe new lines, which still scared the hell out of me approaching the top.

Reaction Score
Heading to Chamonix next week. Skiing will be iffy due to weather. Anyone been and have recommendations?
Had lunch @ Les Canailles Chamonix about 20 years ago. It was incredible... i was a poor college student traveling through

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Heading to Chamonix next week. Skiing will be iffy due to weather. Anyone been and have recommendations?
Went about 20 years ago before they closed off the center to vehicles. Terrific skiing and apres-ski. My ranking of the slopes is as follows (spelling not included):

Grand Montet (especially the cable car side)
Brevant
La Flaguere
Mer de Glace (the glacier from the Aiguille de Midi). Unique experience, beautiful, but very flat in spots and not especially challenging if you are an expert. It's about 6 hours to complete the run from the top lncluding a stop at a refuge hut for lunch. You'll need a guide.

For Apres Ski, just follow the crowds and avoid the Swedes, they are nuts. For food, use Yelp. Chamonix gets enough English speaking traffic that the reviews/ratings are reliable.

Reaction Score
Take the cable car up Aiguille de Midi. Try to figure out how they built the structures on the mountain. Eat at Le Fin Bouche. Was there for only 1 night on a south France/Alps, but always wanted to go back.

Aiguille du midi cable car Chamonix-Mont-Blanc : Practical information about the lifts à Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
It’s 2 cable cars to the top, the second a nearly vertical ascent. That was the most terrifying cable car ride of my life, the wind kicked up. The operator inside the car picked up the phone and spoke rapidly in French. They closed the car down after we arrived at top. It’s like you’re in a plane you are that high up looking down on clouds.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It’s 2 cable cars to the top, the second a nearly vertical ascent. That was the most terrifying cable car ride of my life, the wind kicked up. The operator inside the car picked up the phone and spoke rapidly in French. They closed the car down after we arrived at top. It’s like you’re in a plane you are that high up looking down on clouds.

Terrifying is the cable car from Chamonix to Courmayeur.

Reaction Score
I’m jealous! Enjoy. When I was there we had the opposite problem….mtn was closed 6/7 days we were there because of too much snow…skiers nightmare. Luckily Courmayeur and Megeve were opening trails

The village is really charming. We skied the Vallee Blanche glacier which was a really cool experience. It’s not like anything else I’ve done…1 run..all day. But u must have a guide.

Reaction Score
I concur- Hire a guide a ski the Vallee Blanche . It's an incredible experience - skiing is not overly difficult but you are skiing on glaciers and guide navigates the crevasses.

Don't forget to enjoy the Raclette when you get back to town

Reaction Score
I’m jealous! Enjoy. When I was there we had the opposite problem….mtn was closed 6/7 days we were there because of too much snow…skiers nightmare. Luckily Courmayeur and Megeve were opening trails

The village is really charming. We skied the Vallee Blanche glacier which was a really cool experience. It’s not like anything else I’ve done…1 run..all day. But u must have a guide.
Skiing over there makes US Western skiing seem low. They have double the vertical. I would get a guide for 1/2 day every day and do regular trails that are not off piste for the other 1/2. The guides there are quite amazing, they study and learn like it’s a college degree for years.

Reaction Score
Also- look into purchasing Carte Neige Insurance when you are there. In the unlikely chance you need to get taken off the mountain - your own insurance will not cover you.

Reaction Score
Skiing over there makes US Western skiing seem low. They have double the vertical. I would get a guide for 1/2 day every day and do regular trails that are not off piste for the other 1/2. The guides there are quite amazing, they study and learn like it’s a college degree for years.
Very true about the guides. We had one with our group every day. But not sure it’s worth if if their isn’t a lot of snow.

Reaction Score
Good friend of mine has been an ice climbing guide in Chamonix for many years. If the skiing isn't great, and you're into the outdoors, a half-day guided lesson could be fun.

Also just eat a crap ton of Raclette.

Like others said--the cable cars are awesome. Don't miss it.

Reaction Score
Very true about the guides. We had one with our group every day. But not sure it’s worth if if there isn’t a lot of snow.
The US guides all left to the US and Canada, lol. They follow the snow.

Reaction Score
Good friend of mine has been an ice climbing guide in Chamonix for many years. If the skiing isn't great, and you're into the outdoors, a half-day guided lesson could be fun.

Also just eat a crap ton of Raclette.

Like others said--the cable cars are awesome. Don't miss it.
Raclette will change your life... buddy married a french citizen and we do Raclette at new years... it is hard to find the good cheese...she had a shady connection in nyc.. did not ask questions
@husky429

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
thought this was aboot that school that has that fall hoops tourney.
then, i learned it wasn't aboot the bath tissue, either.

anybody know what signature food le ridge de powder in Middlefield is known for? that's pretty close, and i'd definitely head over if they were serving something tasty.

Reaction Score

When I clicked the link and scrolled down the page to the Virtual Tour, it was breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing.

Not something these old bones can handle, but a visually awesome experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom