Challenge Evedything | The Boneyard

Challenge Evedything

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

When you lose like we have the last years, you need to challenge everything.
Randy made a decision to have morning practices during the school year to help the student athlete schedule their day and focus on academics the rest of their day.
Chief always thought it was really more driven by it was a routine more comfortable for a 60 year old coach. Anyone, who ever had a 20 year old knows it’s not the time they would pick. Just maybe it’s all part of many variables in the mix - why the transfer flood gates have opened? Chief suggests afternoon practices would be more fun for the players.

Reaction Score
Randy made a decision to have morning practices during the school year to help the student athlete schedule their day and focus on academics the rest of their day.
Chief always thought it was really more driven by it was a routine more comfortable for a 60 year old coach. Anyone, who ever had a 20 year old knows it’s not the time they would pick. Just maybe it’s all part of many variables in the mix - why the transfer flood gates have opened? Chief suggests afternoon practices would be more fun for the players.
Many college coaches have made the switch to morning practices such as Frost when he was at UCF and now Nebraska, Fleck at Minnesota. The athletes get better sleep. Nothing to do with Edsall being 60.

C

Chief00

Many college coaches have made the switch to morning practices such as Frost when he was at UCF and now Nebraska, Fleck at Minnesota. The athletes get better sleep. Nothing to do with Edsall being 60.
Ok - So you are selling the theory a kid’s body clock works better at 8am - lots of empirical evidence otherwise.

C

Chief00

Unless you're Count Dracula I challenge your proof reading before sending this thread title.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted - but you can’t edit thread titles - so I can’t change it. However, upon further review it may be appropriate title for UConn football’s recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
While I’d prefer afternoon practice as a player, I now realize morning is better. Exercise clears the mind and invigorates the brain and body. Practice, go to class, socialize/study/relax.

As a college athlete I found that afternoon practice was not good for my grades. I slept in because I scheduled late classes, I skipped breakfast a lot and after practice went straight to dinner in the dark.

When I got back to the dorm I showered and was totally spent. That resulted in very little work getting done. I then had to pull all nighters, write 5 papers in a week etc. in order to get average grades. My best grades always came in Spring semester when I had a couple of months time off leading up to finals.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The games are played at noon or later (most later). For that reason alone, I personally think it makes far more sense to do afternoon practice so the body clock M-F is synchronized with gameday. My body clock is so strongly oriented towards afternoon and evening frankly I probably couldn't do Edsall's program...I would choose a different school just because for me I know morning practices would not work for my body. And its far easier for me personally to do something academic in the morning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pretty clear already there is no right answer here. Everyone is different.

I just look at the kids on gameday and wonder if they would rather be playing at 9am because that is their regular weekday routine and then come the weekend they have to shift that routine.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
We can't seriously imagine that the time of day we were practicing had any role in the results of our games.

It's not like were were losing because of a handful of mental errors, or because we were fatigued. Our losses had nothing to do with body clock.

We were losing because we weren't anywhere good enough in any aspect of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You really need to give up on the whole randy has morning practices because he’s 60 bit. Mike Norvell who’s much younger also has morning practices and I’m pretty sure it’s working out for him.

Reaction Score
Harvard HC Tim Murphy on morning practices:

“We were the first ones to even have workouts in the morning,” Murphy said. “I think the bottom line is that it guarantees you’ll have your whole team. It’s just really challenging to try to run a practice if you’ve got anybody, or several players, missing because they have class conflicts. So that can be challenging in terms of getting them enough repetitions, getting everybody in sync.”

The most difficult part for the athletes isn’t so much waking up early to workout. Rather, it’s maintaining the rigorous schedule of a Division I athlete while trying to simultaneously excel at an Ivy League academic institution.”

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
4E1E9721-1806-4DC8-9C69-198E59DB58B4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Win and the kids will get up at 5 AM for you. Win and the kids will do anything.

Go 2-10 and they go away. The only thing that matters is Ws. If Edsall puts up Ws all his problems will disaapear.

Reaction Score
Pretty clear already there is no right answer here. Everyone is different.

I just look at the kids on gameday and wonder if they would rather be playing at 9am because that is their regular weekday routine and then come the weekend they have to shift that routine.
They prefer 12 o clock or second choice would be the 330 games.. they don’t like to wait all day for games at 7.
at least that’s what I’m hearing

Reaction Score

When the students get into the real world and get a job if the boss tells them to be at work at 8, I doubt they'll last if they roll in at 9. I got written up for being 10 minutes late, when there was a accident on 84.

Reaction Score
While I’d prefer afternoon practice as a player, I now realize morning is better. Exercise clears the mind and invigorates the brain and body. Practice, go to class, socialize/study/relax.

As a college athlete I found that afternoon practice was not good for my grades. I slept in because I scheduled late classes, I skipped breakfast a lot and after practice went straight to dinner in the dark.

When I got back to the dorm I showered and was totally spent. That resulted in very little work getting done. I then had to pull all nighters, write 5 papers in a week etc. in order to get average grades. My best grades always came in Spring semester when I had a couple of months time off leading up to finals.
You must not have gone to UNCheat.

Reaction Score
Ok - So you are selling the theory a kid’s body clock works better at 8am - lots of empirical evidence otherwise.
Got any links to this load of empirical evidence?

I sadly don’t right now without looking it up —feel free to yourself — but I believe there are several actual metabolic studies that suggest most athletes’ testosterone peaks in the morning. Thus, the body is theoretically ready to accomplish at an optimal level early in the day.

also, how’s morning wood for empirical evidence?

Anecdotally, I feel stronger in the gym in the morning than I do when I’m there at like 3

everyone is different though

Reaction Score
One thing that has changed since the 70's is classes being scheduled late in the day or at night. I can see the less conflicts with classes argument working here in regards to starting practice at 4 PM.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think this entire thread is ridiculous
Chief - you hitting the holiday spirits early?
Morning practices are not an anomaly for a 60 year old coach
I know there have been tests performed on soccer players and their performance level (physical agility and cognizant awareness) in the AM vs the PM and the AMs have it

C

Chief00

I guess it depends on your priorities. Good grades or winning games? Perhaps if the primary objective is good grades, Randy should hold practice at the library?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger