Chalk Talk | The Boneyard

Chalk Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went to the Chalk Talk yesterday and it was just great. Frankly, before it started I was wondering if I could stand to sit there for an hour and a half. When it ended, I wished it could go on for another hour and a half. What a fascinating group of women! It was really great to hear the perspectives of some of those who had been there at the creation, so to speak.

LaChina Robinson did a great job of moderating, and all of the women had interesting things to say.

I'm sure those of you who have gone to the BET have visited the display about the All-American Red Heads. I visited it last year and again this year, but frankly, I didn't see the relevance to today's game. What was interesting to me during the Chalk Talk was to see how much respect people like Anne Donovan and Marynell Meadors have for the Red Heads. After seeing that and hearing some of the stories Anne, Marynell and Anucha Browne told, I've begun to have a better appreciation of how difficult it was for previous generations of women who wanted to play basketball. I hope today's players appreciate how much they owe to those pioneers -- I think many of them do. It must seem surreal to those older women who had to struggle to find a place to play to now see an arena filled with thousands of fans there to watch women play.

Another interesting tidbit was that some of the younger NBA players truly respect the WNBA. The younger men grew up watching the Lisa Leslies and Cheryl Millers playing at a high level. The idea of women playing basketball with great skill and athleticism doesn't strike them as odd the way it can to old farts guys like me who came of age in the pre-Title-IX era.

There was much more, including some great anecdotes, but I'll finish by adding one other thing that was brought up near the end. While it's great that programs such As UConn and a handful of others have such passionate fans, that needs to evolve more to being fans of the game of women's basketball. The difference was starkly displayed at the XL center this weekend. On Friday, attendance can be best described as a smattering. Things picked up a bit on Saturday, but it isn't until UConn is playing that the real crowds come. Why? (Note: I don't know the attendance numbers; I'm just going by what I saw.) I love watching UConn play, but I also enjoy watching the other teams. If there is a better bargain than the all-session package for the BET, I've yet to run across it. I'm going to miss it terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom