Center Studies | The Boneyard

Center Studies

Reaction Score
We’ve had a number of discussions about who’s starting, dividing up 200 minutes, what the rotation will likely be, and so on. There has also been some discussion on these threads of the fact that for the first time in several years the team will have enough big players and perhaps some context is warranted.

In thinking that UConn has not won a national title since 2016, the situation is that the team has not enjoyed very effective post play. Moreover, the Huskies have had effective center play in 10 of its 11 championships. To review, Kara Wolters and Rebecca Lobo 1995, Kelly Schumacher 2000, Jessica Moore 2003-04, Tina Charles, 2009-10, Stephanie Dolson 2013-14, and Breanna Stewart 2015-16. I know that some may write that Stewart was not really a center and that may be true, but she is 6.4 with long arms and was extremely effective in the paint. The sole exception is 2002 when the front court featured three exceptional 6.2 forwards; Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, and Tamika Williams. Whether or not this fact represents an element of real causation or is simply an interesting statistic, I invite you to determine.

Not all seasons, it must be added, in which the team failed the grab the gold ring was due to the lack of solid inside play. A combination of disabling injuries, bad luck, and lack of depth were strong factors in most of these seasons. Two examples. The 1996 team had Kara Wolters and Jen Rizzotti, but a rotation of only six and the Huskies lost to Tennessee in overtime in the national semis after Wolters fouled out. In 2001, when Schumacher was a senior, All-Americans Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph suffered season ending injuries.

Whatever other reasons existed, and there were some, for the past five seasons the Huskies have lacked strong inside play. One can hope that with the addition of Dorka Juhasz, a more experienced Aaliyah Edwards, and with exceptional shooters Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme that this season will be the charm. South Carolina and Stanford with good bigs represent the chief obstacles in UConn’s path and a good test should come as early as the finals of Battle 4 Atlantis.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with you at all on inside playing being a bellwether.

I would say Tuck was very important in the 2015 and 2016 seasons. She often would defend the opponent's center. For instance she handled Coates the center while Stewie took on Wilson....

This point you have made is also why I still have lasting annoyance with Azure because a second year at UConn playing down low experience would have probably brought a championship.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with you at all on inside playing being a bellwether.

I would say Tuck was very important in the 2015 and 2016 seasons. She often would defend the opponent's center. For instance she handled Coates the center while Stewie took on Wilson....

This point you have made is also why I still have lasting annoyance with Azure because a second year at UConn playing down low experience would have probably brought a championship.
She was just an integral part of a WNBA championship. Why not congratulate her and recognize that your needs as a fan are a distant second to her managing her own life. Instead, why not question why Geno didn’t start her in the second half after she had turned the game around in the first. If we had won a championship that year, I suspect your needs as a fan would have been fulfilled.

Reaction Score
She was just an integral part of a WNBA championship. Why not congratulate her and recognize that your needs as a fan are a distant second to her managing her own life. Instead, why not question why Geno didn’t start her in the second half after she had turned the game around in the first. If we had won a championship that year, I suspect your needs as a fan would have been fulfilled.
Conflicting needs? You think that the player's needs are more important than the fans'? There's a saying that everything depends upon whose ox is being gored. It was very disappointing to lose Azure after just one season; she would likely have been the difference the following year, losing her was tough. She did what was best for her, and that's fine. But fan lamentations count, too:
1635634297535.png

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Pheesa and Gabby...bada** interior players, not centers but both inside threats.

Reaction Score
So my follow up to double down on my point is it has taken her several years as a pro to get where I actually think another year at UConn would have gotten her. This is the first year in the W where I really think she played as the size she is. Another year at UConn with a championship and other individual awards could have gotten her almost a number 1 draft pick and some extra endorsements that would have totally made up for her first year as a pro.

Young people can be impatient rather than playing the long game.

BTW-- I am very happy for her and Stef which is a completely separate issue to her leaving so quickly. Completely different thought patterns.

Reaction Score
Conflicting needs? You think that the player's needs are more important than the fans'? There's a saying that everything depends upon whose ox is being gored. It was very disappointing to lose Azure after just one season; she would likely have been the difference the following year, losing her was tough. She did what was best for her, and that's fine. But fan lamentations count, too:
View attachment 70626
Yes, the player’s needs are much more important. What happens to a Fan has nothing to do with planning a career path, which is what Azure was doing. Whether UConn wins a championship only affects a fan’s overall happiness; it doesn’t influence a life cycle. Why do I even need to explain that; hopefully, you were being facetious.

Reaction Score
In thinking that UConn has not won a national title since 2016, the situation is that the team has not enjoyed very effective post play. Moreover, the Huskies have had effective center play in 10 of its 11 championships.
The team did have effective post play in 2017-2018.

And in 10 of the 11 championships the huskies have had at least 1 all-american guard in the backcourt. Last few years Nurse, Dangerfield, and Ching were not.

Last 3 years definitely needed post play help.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re: Azure . . . I was never a strong admirer of her play and contributions to UConn's fortunes during her one-year stay. From my perspective, she was reluctant to spend time in the low and medium post, preferring to develop her 3-pt shooting. I haven't reviewed her stats, but I can't recall her being, given her height, a strong rebounder either, or defensive presence. My memory may not be fully accurate, but I do recall my frustration with the role she chose to play.

Reaction Score
Re: Azure . . . I was never a strong admirer of her play and contributions to UConn's fortunes during her one-year stay. From my perspective, she was reluctant to spend time in the low and medium post, preferring to develop her 3-pt shooting. I haven't reviewed her stats, but I can't recall her being, given her height, a strong rebounder either, or defensive presence. My memory may not be fully accurate, but I do recall my frustration with the role she chose to play.
She was tied for leading rebounder with Gabby Williams (7.3rpg) and led the team in blocked shots (73 total, 1.97bpg) while averaging ~20 minutes (~6 and ~8 minutes less than Gabby or Napheesa Collier, respectively).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the biggest reason to be frustrated was her terrible 3pt shooting knowing that she was a much better shooter at Duke. I think that may have affected the overall confidence the coaches may have had

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom