OT: Celtics trying to aquire Chris Paul for Rajon Rondo | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics trying to aquire Chris Paul for Rajon Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this next year is going to be interesting with chris paul, howard, and williams becoming free agents in 2012

Reaction Score
Paul isnt really that much better than Rondo. Not sure if this would even help the C's due to chemistry issues/taking time for the offense to gel.

Reaction Score
thing is...paul can stretch the defense instead of them packing the paint...if rondo could hit the outside or long jumper...no doubt i would rather have him

Reaction Score
thing is...paul can stretch the defense instead of them packing the paint...if rondo could hit the outside or long jumper...no doubt i would rather have him

Yeah, I think the Celtics are tired of the other team being able to not respect Rondo's jumper at all.

Reaction Score
Paul isnt really that much better than Rondo. Not sure if this would even help the C's due to chemistry issues/taking time for the offense to gel.
your first sentence is really dumb. second one is a step in the right direction.

paul is easily better than rondo, but the shortened season seems to favor standing pat. celts would probably do this in a heartbeat tho.

Reaction Score
When healthy, Paul is the best PG in the NBA. He can shoot, drive, and rack up assists. Rondo can do two of those things, but is such an inept shooter that it hurts the rest of his game.

Paul has twice led mediocre teams to records much higher than their roster suggests they should have. I like Rondo as a player, but give me CP any day (it would also keep him from te Knicks).

Reaction Score
Paul may not be much better than Rondo but he is better. He is more complete player.

Reaction Score
Paul may not be much better than Rondo but he is better. He is more complete player.
+1, Edge to Paul, but imagine if Rondo had a consistent jump shot .............................. He needs to get in Ray's head before its too late. You can't play with Ray and not improve your jump shooting, so weird.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love Rondo. I would include him in a trade for Paul. No question.

Paul is the best PG in the NBA, in my opinion -- and however you rank him, Rose and Williams, there's clearly a top-3 and then a drop-off to the second tier.

I don't see chemistry issues. Paul scores, but he's also a high-volume assist guy. He'd spread the ball around.

I haven't closed the book on Rondo's jump shot, but at best he will have a decent mid-range jumper. He's never going to be a major threat from the perimeter like Paul is.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul can take the Hornets to the playoffs I'm not convinced that Rondo could. Rondo seems like an athletic guard who benefits from having much better players around him,
but, I think that works for the Celtics.

Reaction Score
+1, Edge to Paul, but imagine if Rondo had a consistent jump shot .............................. He needs to get in Ray's head before its too late. You can't play with Ray and not improve your jump shooting, so weird.
How does playing with a good shooter make another player a better shooter? Maybe some contagious work ethic, but there are some players who simply have bad mechanics and poor (relative to level, in this case NBA) motor memory. In other words Rondo might simply not be capable of reproducing the same shot like Allen can.

It reminds me of the coach that talked about his attempt to help Mo Vaughn become a good fielder. He said, "I hit the first million grounders to him. Good luck to whoever hits the next million!"

Rondo has really long arms which contributes to his shooting woes. It's likely more than a mechanics thing with Rondo. If any expects him to develop into a very good jumpshooter, I think you'll be very dissapointed. I'm sure he can get better. Jason Kidd worked hard on his shooting and improved enough to keep defenses honest. I think that's about the best Rondo could ever accomplish.

I haven't watched Chris Paul all that much. I know he's a better scorer than Rondo. Does he make those around him better? How is his defense? Good, not so good, a liability?

Rondo has been a good fit for Boston, but with the team getting old and likely being very different in a year or two, this change is probably for the better if they can pull it off.

Reaction Score
I agree with general consensus that Paul is better than Rondo, although I think this is mostly an offensive analysis. Although both get steals, I think Rondo is a better defensive player, particularly in terms of stopping opponents come playoff time. No question the deal makes sense for Boston particularly because as Pierce and Ray get older spacing the floor is even more important. But since everyone believes Chris Paul is better why on earth would Charlotte do this deal as opposed to other options? And Paul justifiably doesn't want to come to Boston with only 1 year of assured contender status.

The leaked story is likely to be a problem as Rondo is notoriously thin-skinned and has gone into funks over the Perkins trade and an alleged comment about his poor shooting from Obama. The Celtics need to make a big move at some point, but they already did and failed with the Perkins trade. I think this rumor reflects the fact that they are stuck more than anything. Ainge has allowed the team to fall into the same trap as previous aging big three. I think their best plan is to massively overspend for free agents and try to get both Caron Butler and Shane Battier. Even if they can only get one guy then they've got some room to try and move Green for a young PF or another complimentary part.

Reaction Score
cmon son
Paul is a much better shooter and hes a better player. But hes not head and shoulders above Rondo. I dont know what the Celtics are going to give up to get him, but it isnt a significant upgrade. You take a top 5 or 6 PG and replace him with a Top 2 or 3. I agree hes better. It would be like replacing Marshall on UNC for Bazz. Or Barnes for Lamb, Henson for Drummond etc. All upgrades for sure, but nothing that is going to change things dramatically. JC for Roy on the other hand.....

Reaction Score
your first sentence is really dumb. second one is a step in the right direction.

paul is easily better than rondo, but the shortened season seems to favor standing pat. celts would probably do this in a heartbeat tho.
How is it dumb? Paul is definitely better, but its not like they're upgrading Jeff Green for Durant or anything.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul is WAY better then Rondo. Theres no way Defense can sag off of Chris Paul like they do with Rondo. Defensively Rondo is prolly better but Paul does have a moxy about him where I think he can play better D.

Reaction Score
Unless you have Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson, there isn't a point guard in NBA history that i'd prefer over Chris Paul.

The only thing holding him back from being in that top 3 (or 4 if you want to include Stockton, i don't) is longevity and with his knee issue, he may not get the 4 or 5 more elite years he'll need to be considered as an all time great.

but he is certainly that talented and anyone comparing Rondo to him is sipping on the silly juice.

Reaction Score
Paul is better than Rondo and it's not even close. I think Ainge is worried about what will happen with Rondo once he's not surrounded with Pierce, Allen and KG. Rondo does some things very well but he is the worst shooting point guard in the league.

Reaction Score
Scoring edge: Paul
Passing edge: Rondo
Defense edge: Rondo
Rebounding edge: Rondo
Leadership edge: Paul

I would still say Paul is better but not that much better. Some of you think shooting and scoring are everything.

Reaction Score
I think the deal with passing is that Rondo has so many players around him to rack up them assists. It's really easy to play with Garnett, Pierce and Allen around him. But not taking it away from him. I think Paul has better handle, Boston would be lucky to have CP3. Just my opinion though.

Reaction Score
Paul has the nod over Rondo as a PG, but have you guys seen Rondo's hands? They're HUMONGOUS! That contributes to Rondo struggles with his jumpshot because he has the hands of a PF/C

Reaction Score
if i were N.O. id do the trade for rondo,1rst rd pick this year and a first next year.

Reaction Score
Paul has the nod over Rondo as a PG, but have you guys seen Rondo's hands? They're HUMONGOUS! That contributes to Rondo struggles with his jumpshot because he has the hands of a PF/C

Yes, but his hands have nothing on Kawhi Leonard's... Must be because Rondo never got to practice at elevation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom