CD the younger | The Boneyard

CD the younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did CD play in the second half? If she did it was only a few minutes. I wondered if her knee was hurting in the second half because I thought she could have been a steadying influence a few times. Air travel can be tough on joints.
She was certainly active on the bench, so it was a 'scare' situation.

Reaction Score
Did CD play in the second half? If she did it was only a few minutes. I wondered if her knee was hurting in the second half because I thought she could have been a steadying influence a few times. Air travel can be tough on joints.
She was certainly active on the bench, so it was a 'scare' situation.
Could be her knee or it coud be she played poorly or both. Her box score stats were poor in all areas.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She played 14 minutes in the first half which would have been a big load for her if she repeated that in the second half. It was, also, the second game in just outside 48 hours with the rigors of travel. I believe they are managing her minutes and the foul trouble in the first half burned a lot of them. She wasn't having a tremendous number night on the stat line so it made sense to sit her if she wasn't needed. She played her normal stint coming out of the half and didn't return.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was pretty short on all her shots. I imagine she really didn't have her legs last night. Hopefully it was the travel and Sat/Mon game. Cause we are gonna need her for Sat/Mon games in the future (or Sun/Tues).

Of course it could have been the shoes. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She was pretty short on all her shots. I imagine she really didn't have her legs last night. Hopefully it was the travel and Sat/Mon game. Cause we are gonna need her for Sat/Mon games in the future (or Sun/Tues).

Of course it could have been the shoes. :cool:
You really ARE a Smarty Pants, aren't you?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You really ARE a Smarty Pants, aren't you?
Sorry. I just find it......ummm, hilarious ( I won't use Geno's words). :)

(when you get validated by the leader of our little cult here, you gotta run with it) ;)

Reaction Score
because of faris' defensive responsibilities and doty's knee, the coaches have got to find a way to give them more bench minutes. there's no good reason for not using banks, stokes ( twin posts), and even engeln , to give them a break. sitting for a minute or two every now and then can be a help for them. i don't think that geno has ever been that great at giving certain players breathers. his assistants should open their mouths. hayes, hartley, kaleena, and dolson seemed to be holding up pretty well.

Reaction Score
They are going to need Banks. She should be getting playing time in every game.

Reaction Score
because of faris' defensive responsibilities and doty's knee, the coaches have got to find a way to give them more bench minutes. there's no good reason for not using banks, stokes ( twin posts), and even engeln , to give them a break. sitting for a minute or two every now and then can be a help for them. i don't think that geno has ever been that great at giving certain players breathers. his assistants should open their mouths. hayes, hartley, kaleena, and dolson seemed to be holding up pretty well.

You don't think Geno would use Engeln if he had confidence in her ability based on her practice. He has been trying to use Banks who has been less than stellar but shows potential to help in the future. He can only use Stokes and Dolson together, a good combo, especially against big teams, if Dolson doesn't get in foul trouble.

Unfortunately, Caroline was not effective last night probably because of having played on Saturday. He has been trying to only play Caroline 18-20 minutes a game. Against Louisville because of foul trouble she played over 30 minutes in her best game but it looks like her knee has suffered because of those minutes.

It looks like his rotation now include Caroline and Kiah for about 18-20 minutes each, Stefanie for 20-24 and the rest of the minutes going to Bria, Tiffany,Kelly and Special K ( 30+ each). He is trying to give Banks more minutes in order to take the pressure off the other guards. It would help a lot in the NCAA's if she could play a solid 10-15 minutes a game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You don't think Geno would use Engeln if he had confidence in her ability based on her practice. He has been trying to use Banks who has been less than stellar but shows potential to help in the future. He can only use Stokes and Dolson together, a good combo, especially against big teams, if Dolson doesn't get in foul trouble.

Unfortunately, Caroline was not effective last night probably because of having played on Saturday. He has been trying to only play Caroline 18-20 minutes a game. Against Louisville because of foul trouble she played over 30 minutes in her best game but it looks like her knee has suffered because of those minutes.

It looks like his rotation now include Caroline and Kiah for about 18-20 minutes each, Stefanie for 20-24 and the rest of the minutes going to Bria, Tiffany,Kelly and Special K ( 30+ each). He is trying to give Banks more minutes in order to take the pressure off the other guards. It would help a lot in the NCAA's if she could play a solid 10-15 minutes a game.
Exactly right.

Reaction Score

engeln has shown enough when she's been in games to spell any of the guards for a minute or two. that's all i'm talking about. how can you say that geno is trying to give banks more time, when she played 6 minutes against oklahoma.. the only way that banks will provide 10-15 minutes at the end of the season is if she gets minutes now, and against the good teams. i don't think the coaches have any choice but to give certain players a break. at crunch time kelly and caroline best not be broken down. playing caroline for 30+ minutes against louisville made no sense, unless you think that game results now are as important as at the end of the season. somehow, back off on their minutes now. a 4-person coaching staff should be able to figure it out.

Reaction Score
Boontonbomber, you are spot on and I agree with your argument 100%.

Unfortunately, BYers have the same disagreement year end and year out about our failure to utilize bench players more effectively. Especially as the end of the season approaches.

There should be no question or disagreement about whether or not our starters are tired.

IMO, they are all tired.

And coach A is very much aware of that fact.

Otherwise why do we see more zone than full court pressing in the recent games?

Oh, and please don't make the foul trouble agrument. Tired players make silly fouls.

Peace,

John Fryer

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, BYers have the same disagreement year end and year out about our failure to utilize bench players more effectively. Especially as the end of the season approaches.

There should be no question or disagreement about whether or not our starters are tired.

IMO, they are all tired.

Oh, and please don't make the foul trouble agrument. Tired players make silly fouls.

Peace,

John Fryer

Clearly Geno took off the press because of the foul trouble. It's a valid point. And I haven't seen signs of being tired. Can you site some specific examples?

Reaction Score

IMO, they are all tired.

Peace,

John Fryer

i think the biggest concern should be with doty. since louisville she's had 2 poor games, playing only a total of 30 minutes.i don't think they win the title without her knee being strong enough for a solid 25 minutes. don't know about the st. john's game, but perhaps against pitt and marquette she can be given some good rest in prep for notre dame. and then during the first couple of big east tourney games.

Reaction Score
i think the biggest concern should be with doty. since louisville she's had 2 poor games, playing only a total of 30 minutes.i don't think they win the title without her knee being strong enough for a solid 25 minutes. don't know about the st. john's game, but perhaps against pitt and marquette she can be given some good rest in prep for notre dame. and then during the first couple of big east tourney games.

John I disagree with you and boontonbomber. Geno and his coaching staff will play the players they think can play based on practice. They use the bench they are comfortable with in game situations. They would rather play a tired Bria, Tiff or Kelly then a fresh Lauren. That is why they are the most successful coaches in WCBB. They make the right decisions most of the time. Enough to be 24-2 in a rebuilding year.

I am also concerned about Caroline and don't think she is physically capable of playing more than a solid 20 minutes a game for the rest of the season. I doubt that they would have beaten Louisville if she didn't play the 30+ minutes but it really had an effect on her knee.

I expect them to try and play Banks at least 10-15 minutes against St. John's, Marquette and Pittsburg with the hope her performance will be good enough to earn 10-15 minutes against ND and in the NCAA's.

Reaction Score

IMO, they are all tired.

Peace,

John Fryer

Hmm, can you explain to me what you mean by "year end and year out"?

Yes, it always helps to have solid contributions from the bench, but Geno clearly has not been impressed enough by Banks' performance both in practice and during games for him to provide her with more minutes. Uconn is also one of the, if not the most well conditioned team in the country year in and year out, so I have no worries about them being too tired down the road.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Didn't get a chance to catch much of the game, but post-game CD did say she thought "we" were a little tired -- not from over play, but from tough game Sat, flight, tough game Monday.

Every year people complain about who Geno plays when, and want him to put folks on the court that show they can't handle being on the court at important times.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Didn't get a chance to catch much of the game, but post-game CD did say she thought "we" were a little tired -- not from over play, but from tough game Sat, flight, tough game Monday.
CD said the team "looked a little tired". I thought so, too, while I was watching the game. WTIC post game, interview with Tiff, Coach CD and Stef.

Reaction Score
Hmm, can you explain to me what you mean by "year end and year out"?

Yes, it always helps to have solid contributions from the bench, but Geno clearly has not been impressed enough by Banks' performance both in practice and during games for him to provide her with more minutes. Uconn is also one of the, if not the most well conditioned team in the country year in and year out, so I have no worries about them being too tired down the road.

John I disagree with you and boontonbomber. Geno and his coaching staff will play the players they think can play based on practice. They use the bench they are comfortable with in game situations. They would rather play a tired Bria, Tiff or Kelly then a fresh Lauren. That is why they are the most successful coaches in WCBB. They make the right decisions most of the time. Enough to be 24-2 in a rebuilding year.

I am also concerned about Caroline and don't think she is physically capable of playing more than a solid 20 minutes a game for the rest of the season. I doubt that they would have beaten Louisville if she didn't play the 30+ minutes but it really had an effect on her knee.

I expect them to try and play Banks at least 10-15 minutes against St. John's, Marquette and Pittsburg with the hope her performance will be good enough to earn 10-15 minutes against ND and in the NCAA's.

we do agree on one thing: that the louisville game had an effect upon caroline's knee.
where we disagree: that uconn could not have won the game without her playing 37 minutes, well above her season average.
and i assume that you think the win was worth putting the extra strain on her knee. i don't. i think it was a mistake to play her 37 minutes.
again, i hope they give her extra rest over the next few games. no need to beat pitt and marquette by 40 points.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
There is no way we win the Louisville game without CD's clutch 3's and her great floor leadership. Yes, it took a toll on her, but she will be ready for SJU on Saturday, and I think we will need her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom