CD post game... | The Boneyard

CD post game...

Reaction Score
If someone could post the postgame interviews. It wasn't available here in NYC.
They likely won't be available other than quotes from the papers (unless UCLA posts them but that seems rare even in this modern day and age). Unfortunately The UConn Report (the main source of all the post-game videos posted here) doesn't usually travel. Hope one of the other guys can get at least snippets of video, but wouldn't hold my breath.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was also surprised that she called the officiating "questionable". Winning coaches usually don't complain.

What I want to know is what Geno said to Gabby at the end of the game. He was talking to her for a while.
I was wondering the same thing.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess it was about the fouls, and how she needs to be on the floor.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
fwiw - the post game is audio on the IMG radio broadcast.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The defense was spectacular at times tonight. I was only 3 rows up, and I could see a UCLA player pivoting one way to make a pass, but the UConn defender slid over to eliminate that option. Then the UCLA player went the other way, but so did the UConn defender. Then the UCLA player went back to the original side, but another UConn defender reached into the passing lane. Meanwhile, the shot clock was quickly running down. The quickness and length were on full display.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The defense was spectacular at times tonight. I was only 3 rows up, and I could see a UCLA player pivoting one way to make a pass, but the UConn defender slid over to eliminate that option. Then the UCLA player went the other way, but so did the UConn defender. Then the UCLA player went back to the original side, but another UConn defender reached into the passing lane. Meanwhile, the shot clock was quickly running down. The quickness and length were on full display.
I was also there in person, and the defense was what really stood out to me as well. UConn put on a total clinic on *team* defense to neutralize an excellent playmaking point guard. The early help and hard hedges took away options A, B, C, .... and Canada and her teammates were often left with nothing but uncomfortable options.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Canada is an extremely talented player and tenacious defender, but I've noticed when she gets some game pressure put on her she tends to try and do way too much on her own and appears to get frustrated. When we got up by 10 or more points she forced her offense, made some questionable decisions about going to the basket, and made passes her teammates couldn't handle cleanly in a lot of traffic. A lot of credit to our defense for making that happen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
your play by play sounds like I was watching a ballerina on stage... excellent

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I was also surprised that she called the officiating "questionable". Winning coaches usually don't complain.

What I want to know is what Geno said to Gabby at the end of the game. He was talking to her for a while.

REFS wer CLEARLY Biased in favor UCLA - They REALLY embarrassed themselves Also Demeaned UCLA A VERY GOOD team

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Generally the defense played well indeed. There were a few lapses resulting from bad positioning and foot work by a few, but overall it was a pretty shut down performance.

Reaction Score
Canada is an extremely talented player and tenacious defender, but I've noticed when she gets some game pressure put on her she tends to try and do way too much on her own and appears to get frustrated. When we got up by 10 or more points she forced her offense, made some questionable decisions about going to the basket, and made passes her teammates couldn't handle cleanly in a lot of traffic. A lot of credit to our defense for making that happen.
This is a great point, and what separates Geno as a coach. Crystal still, a couple of times a game, will channel her inner high school self, where she, too, feels she needs to win the game for the team. And Geno will pull her. He's uncompromising about what he wants for the team.

Reaction Score
I was extremely impressed by Crystal on defense. I remember last year against Texas when she was repeatedly out of position and could not keep a player in front of her. Now she looks committed, determined, and confident. Not perfect, but miles ahead of where she was! Kudos to her for all her hard work to get there. :cool:

Reaction Score
Haven't rewatched the game yet, so I can't say when this happened. But at some point (second half, I think?), a foul on a Bruin resulting in 2 shots for a Husky. But as she's shooting, CD is yelling to Geno, who finally yells at the ref after the 2nd made free throw. CD saw something wrong about procedure (rather than a judgment call) and was clearly pissed at the ref.

Reaction Score

Gabby is he SENIOR Leader--and he was giving her hints on how to lead.
There were about 4 calls that appeared to be homie. And there were calls when there was nothing to call, at at critical time. For the most part the officiating was good. They let the kids play. Lots of early contact without calls. Second half--not so good. Gabby rarely complains--twice she did, and once had a discussion with a ref. Bad call nearly lost 3 players for Uconn the Announcer said--Uconn doesn't foul-usually true.

Reaction Score

No argument--only a different point of view. Truly not all of Canada's decisions were not great, in crunch time.
Kudo's to Canada: Her team was down by 30 or nearly so--Uconn stiffled Ucla. Something had to be done. Like, Maya, Dt, Stew, Rene, Sue, all the Uconn greats--Canada put her team on her back and led by example. In this game I became a Canada fan. Like McCarty of Texas a great player.\
I'm among those who now believe UCLA , if they keep playing and getting a bit better, will be in the Final 4.
Canada was not alone in making bad passes---Geno will address that subject with HIS team.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess it was about the fouls, and how she needs to be on the floor.

Actually --Geno, if you noticed the finger, was pointing to and describing the menu at a local Italian eatery and Gabby kept saying she wanted a a burger, at McD's--she begged ; no more Pasta, enough is enough.

Reaction Score
Cuz it was and it looked contrived at times. And it is when you win you can say it and not be dismissed. But if she said it, and I don't doubt it, it's because it was "questionable" at best.
QUESTIONAble was an excellent word. Some calls were absolutely missing, others were calls on phantom actions. Calls on Z--my goodness TERRIBLE.
Gabby doesn't complain--did twice or more. They were questionable---because Uconn was alive at the end to ---be ABLE to Question bad calls.
Two call on Z--I had to read the front of the white Uniforms--for a second I thought they said ND---offensive players jumping from 4 feet into the back of Z or Z has a defender on her back who falls off, others both were called fouls on Z.

Reaction Score
Actually --Geno, if you noticed the finger, was pointing to and describing the menu at a local Italian eatery and Gabby kept saying she wanted a a burger, at McD's--she begged ; no more Pasta, enough is enough.
Gabby is a vegetarian.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom