CD has earned the right to follow Geno too | The Boneyard

CD has earned the right to follow Geno too

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Recently, CD talked about whether she might leave be a head coach somewhere. When Geno retires, she has earned the right to take over if she wants it. Can't imagine she would work for another coach either at UConn or anywhere else. Even though there are some good candidates from past players, no one deserves it more than her.

The TN transition is a reminder that one day Geno will schedule a conference to announce the same thing. Boy, that will be tough.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I suspect that if Geno coaches for 5 or more years and then decides to retire, Chris will retire at the same time. You're right, if she wants the job, she should get it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced at all that CD wants to do anything of the sort. If she did, I have to believe she would have had any number of coaching opportunities. At UConn, she's been able to leave her mark on the program in a lot of ways while staying out of the spotlight in many respects.

If Geno had to step down unexpectedly, I could see CD taking an explicit interim role to help preserve everything she and Geno have worked to build, but I don't see her saying at age 57 (or whatever age she happened to be at the time), "You know what? Dealing with all of it on a permanent basis is exactly what I've been missing in my life all of these years."

Reaction Score
In an unplanned situation like Tennessee faced with Pat Summitt I could see CD taking over like Warlick.

If there was a planned progression and UConn selects a former UConn player as the next head coach I could see CD staying on in her current role for a few more years to help with the transition. That's actually what I hope to see. In most situations it wouldn't work, but I think CD is somewhat unique in that I don't think she would be or be perceived as an undermining presence. And it helps that the former player will almost certainly be a former guard, which makes it easy to maintain the formula Geno and CD worked out with CD's autonomy over the posts.

And I wouldn't have been surprised to see Warlick doing something similar in an alternate timeline where a younger former player was hired.

Reaction Score
When our coach retires I just pray that he will be healthy and happy and looking forward to a retirement that will give him time to build many new memories with family and friends. As much as we will miss him when that day comes, we will be happy for Geno and his future.

No matter how many accolades Pat received today; the day didn't hold an ounce of happiness. I've said it before - Alzheimer's disease is a thief. And it has stolen a long happy future from a woman who so deserved one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When our coach retires I just pray that he will be healthy and happy and looking forward to a retirement that will give him time to build many new memories with family and friends. As much as we will miss him when that day comes, we will be happy for Geno and his future.

No matter how many accolades Pat received today; the day didn't hold an ounce of happiness. I've said it before - Alzheimer's disease is a thief. And it has stolen a long happy future from a woman who so deserved one.

Sadly, I have a dear friend who is dying in the hospital now. His is a friend with whom i have had coffee in the morning 5 days aweek for 15+ years until last May. He is not a member and is as close to me as any man in that generation other than my father. My throat aches just writing this.

His wife has Alzheimer's which has progressed slowly over the last several years. He is 85 and has burnt himself out attempting to care for her. Last year he had a valve replacement at 84 in hope he could regain some strength. It hasn't been meant to be. What is sad is that Alzheimer's has not just stolen their future but their history, too, since his wife cannot remember him, their children, or their wonderful years together. Alzheimer's is an incredibly harsh disease among some really harsh illnesses.

To visit him even with all of the O2 equipment, his only concession to aid, is to hear him speak of how blessed his life has been despite all that has been lost. He has his memories but they can no longer be shared with the one person with whom they were built even while he continues to worry about her. It isn't just the future that is lost but, also, the past.

Reaction Score
Agreed that she deserves the first shot. Also beleive that she will retire within a couple of months of Coach Auriemma. Sometimes we get lucky with out first choices. Sometimes we get darn lucky. Coach Auriemma was no-adjective-could-adequately-describe lucky when he hired the top assistant from Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I have a dear friend who is dying in the hospital now. His is a friend with whom i have had coffee in the morning 5 days aweek for 15+ years until last May. He is not a member and is as close to me as any man in that generation other than my father. My throat aches just writing this.

His wife has Alzheimer's which has progressed slowly over the last several years. He is 85 and has burnt himself out attempting to care for her. Last year he had a valve replacement at 84 in hope he could regain some strength. It hasn't been meant to be. What is sad is that Alzheimer's has not just stolen their future but their history, too, since his wife cannot remember him, their children, or their wonderful years together. Alzheimer's is an incredibly harsh disease among some really harsh illnesses.

To visit him even with all of the O2 equipment, his only concession to aid, is to hear him speak of how blessed his life has been despite all that has been lost. He has his memories but they can no longer be shared with the one person with whom they were built even while he continues to worry about her. It isn't just the future that is lost but, also, the past.

It would have felt strange posting a "Like" to your post, thus feel it more appropriate just expressing compassion, hope, and understanding to you and for the folks to whom you make yourself available 24/7. Education about Alzheimers is the best thing we can do for those experiencing the pain of witnessing a loved one succumb to it. As cruel as it sounds, my advice is to not make any heroic attempts caring for such a loved one. Alzheimers is that cruel, and unless one has received adequate professional training, all but impossible to deal with.
Love often propels us to heroic ends. But, like your dear friend, it will inevitably burn us out and frustrate us to no end.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It would have felt strange posting a "Like" to your post, thus feel it more appropriate just expressing compassion, hope, and understanding to you and for the folks to whom you make yourself available 24/7. Education about Alzheimers is the best thing we can do for those experiencing the pain of witnessing a loved one succumb to it. As cruel as it sounds, my advice is to not make any heroic attempts caring for such a loved one. Alzheimers is that cruel, and unless one has received adequate professional training, all but impossible to deal with.
Love often propels us to heroic ends. But, like your dear friend, it will inevitably burn us out and frustrate us to no end.
Education is indeed the best antidote if there is one. Helping folks to reset their expectations as to what is possible is a huge challenge but the only real tool. It is one of the reason our congregation ran an Alzheimer's/dementia support group for several years. None the less managing emotions is always tough. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Icebear, an Alzheimer's/dementia support group is a great idea. A new youth center is opening in my old hometown this summer at which senior citizens will be a major presence. If it has not already been considered, maybe a number of your ideas can be implemented/integrated into their programs.

Reaction Score

Oh, icebear, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I just pray that his children are close by so that he can take comfort in knowing that his wife will be taken care of after his passing. Thank goodness he has you to provide companionship at this very difficult time.

So often the elderly find such joy in reliving their "history", if not with others, then in quiet reflection. You are right - Alzheimer's steals both the future and the past from families. Why it is an underfunded disease I'll never understand. Because - "for the grace of God" go any of us.

I will keep your friend in my prayers tonight.

Reaction Score
Education is indeed the best antidote if there is one. Helping folks to reset their expectations as to what is possible is a huge challenge but the only real tool. It is one of the reason our congregation ran an Alzheimer's/dementia support group for several years. None the less managing emotions is always tough. Thanks for your thoughts.
Ice,
You are so right about needing to educate folks about how to handle their expectations. My father was in a terrible car crash years ago that left him with no short term memory and over the last 15 years of his life, no long term memory. my uncle, his brother, suffers from Alzheimers. It has been incredibly difficult to adjust my expectations, but was absolutely necessary. I feel so badly for your friend, but trust that your support has bolstered his courage. God bless.

Reaction Score
It's funny...when Pat stepped down and Warrick named head coach, there were some on this board who felt she was undeserving because she's only been an assistant coach, albeit for a long time. My first thought was if Geno left, I'd be more than happy if CD seceded him.

Reaction Score
I will always be grateful that CD helped maintain a classy team.
I didn't say that well, but you know what I mean.
UCONN has always had women who are role models.
There are few who went off the rails after they left (Diana?).
I remember watching them get off the bus in Greensboro a few years back.
I got the same feeling I had (and have) when my daughters presented themselves as remarkable people.

Reaction Score
She is the highest paid Asst Head Coach in the country and more than most HC's......Money will not be her driving factor. I hope CD is happy in her personal life outside of UCONN which is kept very secret. All coaches give up the personal well being to achieve goodness and winners out of other people. Like PHS, her life now will be totally different and sad than what she expected 5 or 10 years ago after 30+ years of coaching.......Divorce, illness and sadness.......Life is not fair and she deserved a much better outcome.......I pray that Geno and CD go out on their own terms and healthy, happy and rich.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice,
You are so right about needing to educate folks about how to handle their expectations. My father was in a terrible car crash years ago that left him with no short term memory and over the last 15 years of his life, no long term memory. my uncle, his brother, suffers from Alzheimers. It has been incredibly difficult to adjust my expectations, but was absolutely necessary. I feel so badly for your friend, but trust that your support has bolstered his courage. God bless.
Last night my friend was blessed with an end to his struggle. The challenge now remains for the family to sort out what will be best for mom. With their dad's example they will make a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom