CD discusses Amari DeBerry | The Boneyard

CD discusses Amari DeBerry

Reaction Score
I just love this kid and I really hope it just clicks. She has a golden opportunity here. With Azzi out, we need even more ball movement and I think she could be such a great passer and facilitator from the high post, that it'll help Lou 2.0 and Caroline gets open shots. Plus, she can hit them herself.

Reaction Score
This provides quite a bit more insight into the Amari situation. The problem areas have of course been mentioned not just by CD but by many posters here as well. What I did find interesting and encouraging is the indication that Amari is making progress. Glad to hear that she did work on her body in the offseason, and some progress on reacting to the speed of the game.

It sounds like she may have had a conditioning problem, not able to go full tilt for a whole practice etc. last year, but CD indicates that is better this year as well. Since we don't see enough playing time to witness much progress, it is at least encouraging that CD sees some progress.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I will add that in three games this season I saw significantly greater levels of activity and effort from Amari. I do not recall exactly which ones and haven't the time to research them and offer "proof." But I do recall being startled (really!) by her willingness to mix it up with opponents' bigs, to pursue missed shots and bang for rebounds. This was a visible change, limited by her time (short) in the game. She was also more alert in defensive positioning and on a couple of occasions was looking for shots in the low post!! In short, she was much more alert and aggressive. I hope to see more of that from her; she could, especially with all the injuries this year, make a significant difference. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
a reasonable question would be why the conditioning problem. COVID-related? Some other medical condition? If so, I understand HIPAA and all that but I don’t think its in the kids interest to hide it and let people speculate.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
a reasonable question would be why the conditioning problem. COVID-related? Some other medical condition? If so, I understand HIPAA and all that but I don’t think its in the kids interest to hide it and let people speculate.
Some of these kids have a desire to go pro. Your curiosity doesn’t outweigh the players’ rights to control what information is made public and might have some negative effect on their future plans. After all, WNBA teams might downgrade someone tagged as “injury prone” or who has certain kinds of nagging issues

Reaction Score
when are people going to get it that the players' medical issues are private, unless they choose to share? Have you ever had a medical problem that you didn't want the entire world to know about?

Reaction Score
Wow! Just really enlightening info from Coach Dailey regarding Amari. A frank discussion of a
player's situation is so refreshing, and makes me wonder why this doesn't happen more often. You don't have to be talking medical issues in discussing the growth of players. If nothing else, maybe will quiet down the bashers, who don't really have any inside info on what's actually going on with a player. Thank you, Coach Dailey!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
when are people going to get it that the players' medical issues are private, unless they choose to share? Have you ever had a medical problem that you didn't want the entire world to know about?
CD not talking medical issues. Amari is a 6'5" young lady whose strength has not caught up with her size yet.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Wow! Just really enlightening info from Coach Dailey regarding Amari. A frank discussion of a
player's situation is so refreshing, and makes me wonder why this doesn't happen more often. You don't have to be talking medical issues in discussing the growth of players. If nothing else, maybe will quiet down the bashers, who don't really have any inside info on what's actually going on with a player. Thank you, Coach Dailey!
I don't think that the coaching staff really cares about the bashers, including those on the Boneyard. :rolleyes: :)

Reaction Score
I had high expectations for her when she got to UConn. I have been a little bit disappointed in her on court performance. But, one thing that is obvious when you watch the Huskies, she has a very positive attitude. She’s very supportive from the sidelines, and very engaged in what other players are doing during the game. I have never witnessed any negativity from her.

Reaction Score
Coach CD just has a way of putting things that just makes you feel all warm & cozy. I like her take on why Amari is not getting a lot of playing time. Glad that Amari is picking up the pace here and there. I still think that she could be a valuable piece out there for 2 or 3 minutes a quarter.

sun

Reaction Score
Amari was able to learn by watching Liv play when Liv was at the top of her game running the high post.
That opportunity will probably become Amari's strength due to her own passing & shooting ability.
But it takes time to be anything like Liv because it's a difficult position to play.
Amari is probably the UConn player that's most likely to be able to play like Liv in the next 2 years.
It was nice to see Amari develop a semi hook/ side push shot in front of the basket, a shot that Liv didn't use.
It shows that Amari has a scorer's mentality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just love this kid and I really hope it just clicks. She has a golden opportunity here. With Azzi out, we need even more ball movement and I think she could be such a great passer and facilitator from the high post, that it'll help Lou 2.0 and Caroline gets open shots. Plus, she can hit them herself.
I think the light will go on against Princeton. As long as she knows that she is going to play through mistakes, which I am sure she realizes now, I am excited for a big impact by her in this game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think perhaps your statement was best left unsaid. I also think that perhaps you don't fully understand HIPPA rights nor what is in the best interest of a 19 basketball player. I would suggest however that you envision yourself as Amari or your daughter then move your considerations forward.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Thank you CD for the update on Amari. Amari is making progress and the coaches seem pleased with her progress. And let's remember Geno saying that post players take a couple of years to develop.

Whether she gets more minutes tonight or not will be Geno's decision. She says she is ready to help and contribute. I'm good with that.

Now can we stop with the "we're entitled to know" stuff.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Thank you CD for the update on Amari. Amari is making progress and the coaches seem pleased with her progress. And let's remember Geno saying that post players take a couple of years to develop.

Whether she gets more minutes tonight or not will be Geno's decision. She says she is ready to help and contribute. I'm good with that.

Now can we stop with the "we're entitled to know" stuff.
Have you forgotten that you are posting on the Boneyard?????? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Coach CD just has a way of putting things that just makes you feel all warm & cozy.

Yes @JellyBean. She says it with love and focus on the development of the kid. Not focused only on the outcome or how it may reflect on her (cd). It’s a great way to develop trust and form an enduring relationship you need to get through th hard stuff “together”. IMO, that is the secret sauce for the team, and why I have admired CD and Geno all these years. Here’s to hoping Amari’s efforts pay off!

Reaction Score
I don't think that the coaching staff really cares about the bashers, including those on the Boneyard. :rolleyes: :)
I'm curious. Does any criticism equate to bashing? If I observe that the coach tends to only play a player for a short time in many games and not at all in others, am I bashing that player? If I suggest that you can't extrapolate 11 minutes in a blowout win with 6 points into a much larger number of points if she played, let's say 30, am I bashing that player? I'd just like to know the rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom