OT: CCSU in FCS Playoffs | The Boneyard

OT: CCSU in FCS Playoffs

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
CCSU is the automatic qualifier from the NEC in the FCS playoffs!

The last two seasons the NEC champion has faced off in the opening round against a lower tier CAA team, so a matchup at Stony Brook, Elon or New Hampshire/Delaware (assuming one gets an at large) is likely. The field will be announced this morning at 11 AM if anybody can catch it.

Reaction Score
The 2017 Northeast Conference Champion Central Connecticut (8-3) football team will travel to nearby Durham, NH to face the University of New Hampshire (7-4) in the first round of the FCS Playoffs on Saturday, Nov. 25, at 2 p.m. The Blue Devils, winners of eight straight, are in the playoffs for the first time after finishing the NEC season a perfect 6-0, the first league champion since 2008 to finish unbeaten in league play.

New Hampshire received an at-large bid to the playoffs, and are making their 14th straight appearance. They finished 7-4 overall and 5-3 in the CAA, but are a perfect 5-0 at home this season. The only common opponent for the two squads this season is Bryant. UNH topped the Bulldogs 45-17 on Sept. 30, the Blue Devils beat Bryant 31-14 on Oct. 21.

UNH holds an 8-0 all-time series lead over the Blue Devils. The two teams most recently met in the 2015 season in Durham, a 57-14 win by the Wildcats.

The game will air live on ESPN3, kickoff is set for 2 p.m.

Reaction Score
CCSU fans may get their wish for the in-state matchup, visiting East Hartford as one of the Huskies future FCS opponents.

Heard Central is working on finalizing a 2-game deal with UConn for games in 2020 and 2022 at Rentschler.

UConn's future FCS games:
2018 - Rhode Island
2019 - Wagner
2020 - Central Connecticut
2021 - TBD
2022 - Central Connecticut

UConn is 3-0 vs. CCSU in previous football matchups:

• Sep. 9, 1989 UConn 27, CCSU 9 (at Storrs, Conn.)
• Sep. 13, 1986 UConn 20, CCSU 9 (at Storrs, Conn.)
• Sep. 16, 1995 UConn 54, CCSU 9 (at Storrs, Conn.)

Reaction Score
Didn't realize CCSU was having this good a season. Big time props to them! (got my BA there so I consider them my little brother university)

So CCSU wins the NEC and Yale wins the Ivy league. Not sure I'd want UConn to face either one of them now. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I care about CCSU football as much as Central fans care about UConn.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I’d be good with having them be on our schedule. It’s better then watching us play Holy Cross or URI.....at least there’s some small in-State connection?

Reaction Score
Incredibly stupid, whatever he did, to let his team down like this at what could be its biggest moment is unacceptable. SMH

Reaction Score
I was considering going...

Markell Dobbs of Ansonia is committed to CCSU. What happened to Montrell?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>Rossomando said he made the decision to suspend the players on Monday once he got all the information. “I had to talk to different people and at that point for me, it was easy to make [the decision],” Rossomando said. “We have a certain standard, team rules we have and everybody has to abide by them including our starting quarterback and backup center and they did not. They put me in a situation where I had to make a difficult decision.”<<

>>The Blue Devils rotate a bit at center so they should be OK there. Sophomore Tanner Kingsley of Beacon Falls is 5 of 9 for 13 yards on the season will start Saturday in place of Dolegala. Kingsley threw four passes in 2016. Freshman Edison Galand of Manchester will be his backup and former Middletown quarterback Tyshaun James, who was moved to wide receiver at Central, will take snaps at quarterback this week.<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am a UConn guy, but I root for the state schools and like how CCSU started off so poorly and ended up in the playoffs. Rossomando is a no nonsense kind of coach and easy to root for.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's fair to say more Central fans care about UConn.

I'm going to suggest CCSU fans that are CT residents are all UConn fans, or pretty darn close to "all"

Reaction Score
I went to CCSU in late 90's and lived on campus. I would say 90% or more of in state students I was friends with were Uconn fans.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I’d be good with having them be on our schedule. It’s better then watching us play Holy Cross or URI.....at least there’s some small in-State connection?
Keep it up. You'll have some here clamoring to add them to the AAC with UMass and ODU

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>Rossomando said he made the decision to suspend the players on Monday once he got all the information. “I had to talk to different people and at that point for me, it was easy to make [the decision],” Rossomando said. “We have a certain standard, team rules we have and everybody has to abide by them including our starting quarterback and backup center and they did not. They put me in a situation where I had to make a difficult decision.”<<

>>The Blue Devils rotate a bit at center so they should be OK there. Sophomore Tanner Kingsley of Beacon Falls is 5 of 9 for 13 yards on the season will start Saturday in place of Dolegala. Kingsley threw four passes in 2016. Freshman Edison Galand of Manchester will be his backup and former Middletown quarterback Tyshaun James, who was moved to wide receiver at Central, will take snaps at quarterback this week.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom