CCSU Cracks FCS top 25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CCSU Cracks FCS top 25

Reaction Score
The bottom fell out of the basketball program after the 2012-13 season. That year, CCSU was 4-3 heading into a game at #1 Indiana. The 3 losses were by a total of 6 points. At Assembly Hall, Matt Hunter scores 40 points in a loss on ESPN! A young CCSU team finishes 9-9 (7th place) in the NEC.

The following year in 2013-14, we are loaded with Hunter and Terrell Allen (Seniors), Vinales and Malcolm McMillian (Juniors), Brandon Peel (Soph), and Matt Mobley and Khalen Cumberlander (Frosh).

Hunter becomes academically ineligible for the second semester; Vinales misses 9 conference games that season (we lose 7 of them) - he wouldn't play the following season due to suspension. The team finishes 11-19 that year, doesn't make the NEC Tourney and never recovers. The program is in total free fall in Howie's final 3 seasons and Mobley transfer up.

DM comes in under controversial circumstances, gets suspended and makes slight progress in year 2, team has a total meltdown and exodus in year 3, and has now started over with an entirely new roster in year 4.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
CCSU convincingly beat RMU at home today 49-28. Defense made some HUGE plays. Need to improve on special teams. CCSU is now 10-1 and should make the FCS playoffs with a potential fist round home game.

I went to the game, as some of u know I am an Alum and it was the first game I’ve been to in years. For 30 degree weather the place was pretty packed. The alumni tent was great! Had free food and beer ($5 for craft beer-not bad CCSU). For any Alumni out there that want an honest opinion about the game - it’s worth going to. Tickets were $5 and got free food and coffee at the tent. Will definitely go to the playoff game if they get in. Fun atmosphere and special team in New Britain.

It would be great if they can get a home game in the first round, especially if it were against a CAA team. Albany at CCSU with a trip to an MVFC team on the line? Sign me up!

Reaction Score
It would be great if they can get a home game in the first round, especially if it were against a CAA team. Albany at CCSU with a trip to an MVFC team on the line? Sign me up!
Yes, a HOME game would be fantastic, but I'm not sure how strong of a financial guarantee CCSU will submit.

If Central gets paired with the Patriot League AQ (most likely Holy Cross) in the first round, then I could see us getting the home game. Wagner outbid Colgate in 2012 - the NEC's only home game in the playoffs.

This would be Albany's first playoff appearance as a CAA team, so I expect them to submit a strong bid. I also doubt we could oubid a Villanova or Towson, but I agree getting a home game vs. a CAA team would be huge for the program!!!

Same thing with Monmouth, they will likely want to play at home in their new facility and can probably put up more $$ than CCSU can. But it is exciting to even be thinking about these possibilities.

Reaction Score
Still sitting at 18, not getting respect because they play in the NEC. I'll be very interested to see how they do in the playoffs. And hopefully they finish strong by wrecking Duquesne.

Additionally, I'm excited to see what happens next year. Winchester gets so much done with his legs that I wouldn't be surprised if they had a pretty substantial regression. But they do have a lot of young players at WR and RB so hopefully a few will step up to compliment DJ and keep the offense rolling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom