CBSSports.com Top 10 Backcourts for 2015-2016 | The Boneyard

CBSSports.com Top 10 Backcourts for 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn #5.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-college-basketball-preview-top-10-backcourts

UCONN.png
UCONN HUSKIES

Players: Sterling Gibbs, Daniel Hamilton, Rodney Purvis, Jalen Adams, Sam Cassel Jr., Omar Calhoun

This group is just all sorts of deep. Hamilton is a future NBA player at 6-7 with the ability to knock down jumpers and defend multiple spots. Purvis started to come on late last year after taking most of the year to get adjusted to coach Kevin Ollie's scheme. Calhoun and Cassel Jr. will provide depth for what will likely be a 3-4 guard lineup at most points of the season. However, it's the newcomers who set this team apart. Adams is a terrific freshman scoring guard that will be able to knock down shots off the dribble and finish at the rim. Gibbs is another scoring guard, but he's more of a lights out shooter from deep. There might not be quite enough playmaking here unless someone decides to take a step back scoring, but overall it's hard not to be excited about what this group can bring.

Reaction Score
One of the commenters makes a great point.. if Duke doesnt have a top 10 backcourt or a top 10 frontcourt then why the hell are they ranked in the top 5? We all know the answer to the question, but just one time I want to see them ranked where they truly should be. If grayson allen is the star of their team then they shouldnt be any higher than 15

Reaction Score
One of the commenters makes a great point.. if Duke doesnt have a top 10 backcourt or a top 10 frontcourt then why the hell are they ranked in the top 5? We all know the answer to the question, but just one time I want to see them ranked where they truly should be. If grayson allen is the star of their team then they shouldnt be any higher than 15

Because DUKE is on their chest.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This group is just all sorts of deep. Hamilton is a future NBA player at 6-7 with the ability to knock down jumpers and defend multiple spots. Purvis started to come on late last year after taking most of the year to get adjusted to coach Kevin Ollie's scheme. Calhoun and Cassel Jr. will provide depth for what will likely be a 3-4 guard lineup at most points of the season. However, it's the newcomers who set this team apart. Adams is a terrific freshman scoring guard that will be able to knock down shots off the dribble and finish at the rim. Gibbs is another scoring guard, but he's more of a lights out shooter from deep. There might not be quite enough playmaking here unless someone decides to take a step back scoring, but overall it's hard not to be excited about what this group can bring.

You don't think Purvis/Adams is enough playmaking? Throw in Hamilton's ability to pass, and it seems pretty good to me. The only knock is that our PG is more of an outside threat than a player, but when he shoots 45% from 3 (or whatever it is), that's a nice 'problem' to have.

Reaction Score
You don't think Purvis/Adams is enough playmaking? Throw in Hamilton's ability to pass, and it seems pretty good to me. The only knock is that our PG is more of an outside threat than a player, but when he shoots 45% from 3 (or whatever it is), that's a nice 'problem' to have.
Purvis hasn't shown much in the way of making others better.

At the end of the season Purvis showed that he can create for himself, but not for others. 1.2 assists per game is absolutely terrible for a guard. Fortunately for us Hamilton is a great passer and both Gibbs and Adams seems more than capable of running the show/distributing.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I would argue that Purvis struggles at being a "playmaker". He's a good scorer, but doesn't create much. Hamilton can create, and I'm willing to bet Adams can too, but Gibbs is more of a shooter, can get himself open. But I think that's what the author means.

Reaction Score
There are no issues with Gibbs as a playmaker. His assist rate dropped last year because the team around him was a hot circle of garbage, but the year before his assist rate was basically identical to what Shabazz posted as a senior on one of the best-shooting teams we've ever had.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So we've now been listed as having a top 10 defense, a top 10 backcourt and its one of the most experienced teams we've ever had.

Check, check and check on my main three criteria for being a NC team.

Reaction Score
So we've now been listed as having a top 10 defense, a top 10 backcourt and its one of the most experienced teams we've ever had.

Check, check and check on my main three criteria for being a NC team.

Yet we're ranked in the 20s on preseason lists. Things don't jive. Vegas has us higher though, and is no longer sleeping on us. we were at 50-1, then 40-1, now at 25-1 (which puts us somewhere between #9 and #15 with 6 teams in at 25-1).

50 & 40 were both buys. 25-1 is the right number IMO.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yet we're ranked in the 20s on preseason lists. Things don't jive. Vegas has us higher though, and is no longer sleeping on us. we were at 50-1, then 40-1, now at 25-1 (which puts us somewhere between #9 and #15 with 6 teams in at 25-1).

50 & 40 were both buys. 25-1 is the right number IMO.
That's because if you step back and think about the process of the pre-season poll, its a bunch of sports writers who are starting at a point from last year and making +/- adjustments in a crude way. Which is to say its crap and meaningless. Because even the people who get paid to do this aren't going to be as well versed in each individual team as the fanbase is. Which is fine because it helps us sneak up on people, we're never going to get the clickbait treatment BBN or tobacco road get. And it keeps the money off our futures so we can all get rich in April (again).

Reaction Score
Holding a Bally's ticket purchased in May for $100 at 80-1. This season I'm going back to my same seat in my same Brooklyn bar where I watched almost every game in 2014. They order Rolling Rock just for me. Top 10 in both those categories makes it a real possibility. Just need the guys to gel and recognize what is best for the team at given points.

Reaction Score
I would argue that Purvis struggles at being a "playmaker". He's a good scorer, but doesn't create much. Hamilton can create, and I'm willing to bet Adams can too, but Gibbs is more of a shooter, can get himself open. But I think that's what the author means.
Agree the key may be Gibbs thinking playmaker first. It will be nice to get points from Gibbs and we know he can score but he is going to have to be more of a playmaker at UConn. Under KO's tutelage he'll be fine but it may take 5 0r 6 games for everything to come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom