CBS Top 101 Players | The Boneyard

CBS Top 101 Players

Reaction Score

8. Donovan Clingan, UConn

No other player with stats as modest as Clingan's stats from last season is anywhere close to this high on this list. It's a testament to the growing belief that the 7-2 center will adequately fill the shoes vacated by Adama Sanogo and make a big jump after averaging just 6.9 points and 5.6 rebounds in only 13.1 minutes per game last season. If so, UConn should have a real chance to compete for back-to-back national championships. — GP

50. Tristen Newton, UConn​

One of the unsung heroes of UConn's title run, Newton is the leading returning scorer and distributor for the Huskies as they look to win another crown this season. The former East Carolina standout started in all but one game in 39 games and mastered the art of impacting winning as a scorer, facilitator and defender. His 19 points in the NCAA Tournament Championship Game were four shy of a season-high and proved he can serve as more than just a pass-first guard. — KB

65. Stephon Castle, UConn​

Castle is a five-star prospect from the Class of 2023 and highest-rated player in UConn's top-five recruiting class. The 6-5 guard from Georgia can play on or off the ball. He should help the reigning national champs make up for the loss of Jordan Hawkins, who entered the 2023 NBA Draft after two years with the Huskies and was selected 14th overall by the Pelicans. — GP

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

8. Donovan Clingan, UConn

No other player with stats as modest as Clingan's stats from last season is anywhere close to this high on this list. It's a testament to the growing belief that the 7-2 center will adequately fill the shoes vacated by Adama Sanogo and make a big jump after averaging just 6.9 points and 5.6 rebounds in only 13.1 minutes per game last season. If so, UConn should have a real chance to compete for back-to-back national championships. — GP

50. Tristen Newton, UConn​

One of the unsung heroes of UConn's title run, Newton is the leading returning scorer and distributor for the Huskies as they look to win another crown this season. The former East Carolina standout started in all but one game in 39 games and mastered the art of impacting winning as a scorer, facilitator and defender. His 19 points in the NCAA Tournament Championship Game were four shy of a season-high and proved he can serve as more than just a pass-first guard. — KB

65. Stephon Castle, UConn​

Castle is a five-star prospect from the Class of 2023 and highest-rated player in UConn's top-five recruiting class. The 6-5 guard from Georgia can play on or off the ball. He should help the reigning national champs make up for the loss of Jordan Hawkins, who entered the 2023 NBA Draft after two years with the Huskies and was selected 14th overall by the Pelicans. — GP

Big East getting a lot of love

Reaction Score
Rankings like this are always goofy, but what are these write ups? I love Newton but he’s never been a “pass-first guard” at any point.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe they came up with a credible list with no Spencer and Karaban. Clickbait material.

Reaction Score
Very refreshing that there isn't a freshman in the top 10 and only 2 in the top 20. Usually they're overrated as the best players before stepping on court.

Reaction Score
Kinda was for us. Took 7 shots a game and averaged about 5 assists. Certainly isn’t a chuck.
I just attributed to that to going from being first option at ECU to being the primary ballhandler but third scoring option. I think he's a skilled passer and played his role well last year so I'm definitely not taking anything away from him. It just seems weird to call a guy with a history of scoring almost 18 a game at the D1 level a pass-first guy

Reaction Score
Big East 5 of the top 12 players.

Our conference is going to be the best in the country this year. We are loaded with talent and just added possibly the best coach in all of CBB. I hate Pitino as a person but the guy is Calhoun-esque in his ability to draw the best out of every single player on his roster.

Reaction Score
Rankings like this are always goofy, but what are these write ups? I love Newton but he’s never been a “pass-first guard” at any point.

Almost a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio and only 7.3 shots in 29 minutes? Definitely a pass-first guard in the modern game.

I mean Marcus Williams took more shots per minute and he's as pass-first as it gets.

Reaction Score
How in the world was Newton not even mentioned by the BE coaches? Blind as bats.
Based on observations at open practice last night, Newton looks like he's ready to make those coaches look really dumb (or biased, or ignorant, or...)

GettyImages-1479565212-1024x700.jpg

Reaction Score
Kolek should feel disrespected, returning player of the year from the best conference in America should be considered higher, I think Bacot is pretty overrated. Hate Flipkowski but do think he is gonna have a monster year, Dickinson will get a lot lower stats this year I think

Reaction Score
Almost a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio and only 7.3 shots in 29 minutes? Definitely a pass-first guard in the modern game.

I mean Marcus Williams took more shots per minute and he's as pass-first as it gets.
Valid. I guess I just thought saying "proved he can serve as more than just a pass-first guard" seemed funny when he was a pass-first guard for like maybe 1/4 of his college career at this point. I think saying "never been" may have been a little far on my part

Reaction Score
Valid. I guess I just thought saying "proved he can serve as more than just a pass-first guard" seemed funny when he was a pass-first guard for like maybe 1/4 of his college career at this point. I think saying "never been" may have been a little far on my part
It's really the other way around though, his junior year at ECU he saw a huge jump in usage rate and his scoring was way up (although he was still at 5 assists that year too). His freshman and sophomore years were just like last year at UConn, lower usage rate and a high A/TO ratio

Reaction Score
It's really the other way around though, his junior year at ECU he saw a huge jump in usage rate and his scoring was way up (although he was still at 5 assists that year too). His freshman and sophomore years were just like last year at UConn, lower usage rate and a high A/TO ratio
Fair man. I’m always happy to admit when I’m wrong. I’m here to learn and discuss college basketball and there’s a lot I don’t know.

It’ll be interesting to see how his usage rate changes this year if at all. I’d have to think we rely on him more to score but we also lost Andre’s passing.

Reaction Score
How in the world was Newton not even mentioned by the BE coaches? Blind as bats.
Newton impressed me at the tryouts last year . I didn’t think he was a NBA prospect until then because he lacks the true lead guard tools. However ,with improvement in his shot he could make it as two who can take the lead for a time. His range is excellent and he can get his own shot off the dribble or catch and shoot . Work on that shot and you have a chance .

Reaction Score
Under 26. Baylor Scheierman, Creighton it says: The former South Dakota State star earned honorable mention all-Big East honors and should be in line for an even greater role following the departures of Trey Alexander, Ryan Nembhard and Arthur Kaluma.

Isn't Alexander still at Creighton?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's the deal about Newton today, imo. He has hacked the position of CBB guard. He passes when the pass is warranted, he shoots when they give it to him, he drives by when they get too close. He hits the boards, those triple-doubles aren't luck. His lack of recognition is mainly due to his pre-UConn CV. I go back to this YouTube video of an English father and son watching and commenting on the Final. They had no preconceived notions. As it went on, they just started to rave about Tristen. He's going to be huge for us this season.

Reaction Score
Newton deserves more attention. I expect him to play with huge confidence after his performance late last season.

Clingan is a huge presence, but to reach the level to match the hype, he needs to be able to finish at the rim and make free throws. His finishing was really lacking outside of dunks last season. I’m anxious to see how much he’s improved. I am cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
Newton had 19 and 10 in the Championship Game, played great on the biggest stage. With the ball movement this season I expect even more 3s from Newton. Add a couple more triple doubles to the resume, yikes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom