CBS Sports' Top 100 And 1 best teams heading into the 2022-23 season | The Boneyard

CBS Sports' Top 100 And 1 best teams heading into the 2022-23 season

Reaction Score
UConn at #28. Pretty consistent with other rankings. Love the Karaban reference - the Karaban Caravan. Surprised @Ricker didn't come up with that since he's been on the Karaban Caravan for years now! Lol

28. UConn
Not many power-conference teams after this one who I think have a healthy chance of being the best team in their league. While I am obviously not projecting that with the Huskies, I do think they're at eye level with Xavier, Creighton and Nova in the Big East. UConn has the preseason league POY, C Adama Sanogo. There will be nights when Sanogo isn't a top-two contributor, thanks to Andre Jackson becoming a 6-6 point guard and Jordan Hawkins on the verge of a breakthrough sophomore season. And make sure you buy a ticket for the Alex Karaban Caravan before it's too late. The freshman power forward will be a long-term contributor for UConn and is going to provide a lot of frontcourt production, right there with fellow freshman, 7-2 Donovan Clingan. Also interested to see how ECU transfer Tristen Newton is as a combo guard. Nine-man rotation sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Wayyyy too high on Xavier IMO. Sean Miller hype train. Also projects Claude as the second best Freshman in the league, and highlights 4 players returning from a team that missed the tournament as a huge asset

Not buying it

Reaction Score
Wayyyy too high on Xavier IMO. Sean Miller hype train. Also projects Claude as the second best Freshman in the league, and highlights 4 players returning from a team that missed the tournament as a huge asset

Not buying it
Meh...Norlander is a Connecticut guy, I think he went to WCSU...

As long as he continues to pump UConn, I'm good with him. lol.

Reaction Score
Meh...Norlander is a Connecticut guy, I think he went to WCSU...

As long as he continues to pump UConn, I'm good with him. lol.
Norlander is usually UConn's biggest critic.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Not buying it
They missed the tournament, but won the NIT, which probably makes them a top 35 team last year. Colby Jones took a leap during that stretch. And the one starter they lost was actually a net negative for the team last year. I don't know what his deal was, but Scruggs was bad last year in a lot of games, and made some incredibly dumb plays that literally cost them a few wins. Sub 100 ORTG for the year means they can have addition by subtraction if they use those possessions more efficiently. Miller is a decent coaching upgrade. I like Boume and Claude (but freshman PG not expecting much). That all being said, #13 is pretty crazy.
Norlander is usually UConn's biggest critic.
He was fairly positive last year. Think he was in the building when we beat Nova and so he was excited for the trajectory of the program. Or maybe his wife (an alum) was and it influenced him. Either way, he's said some nice things, but yeah he's on the Xavier train this season (but like most people has us in the top tier of 4 in the conference).

Reaction Score
Related to this (not worth a new thread) CBSSports has their "tiers" to win the national championship. UConn in Tier 5: Value Plays.

Tier 5: Value plays

Teams: UConn (60-1), Virginia (60-1), Florida State (80-1)

Virginia has already moved up the odds sheet from 80-1 after landing at third in the ACC preseason poll and coming in at No. 5 in Ken Pomeroy's first rankings at kenpom.com. But there is still good value in the Cavaliers. As for UConn, the Huskies have the Big East Preseason Player of the Year in Adama Sanogo and the motivation of consecutive first-round NCAA Tournament losses. Florida State has a potential first-round pick in Matthew Cleveland and a roster ready to bounce back from last season's injury-plagued fiasco. All are worth a flyer at these prices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom