CBS Sports on each Big East Transfer | The Boneyard

CBS Sports on each Big East Transfer

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reading that depressed me a bit. Seeing them listed all together is different than the dribs and drabs from the portal thread. Even DePaul looks like it won't be a walkover (10 xfers!). Pitino with Kadary, Smith and Scott worries me. Seton Hall looks on paper to be a defensive nightmare, especially at the arc. Providence is going to miss Carter and Oduro, but they get Hopkins back and their adds look to keep them a main PITA for our guys. While Essandoko probably won't be as all-around good as Oduro, he probably will be a better rim protector, even against SJ and Reed. Xavier will not be crippled this year, and their adds are really interesting. Might have the best 3pt game in the BE now. And if Hugley can keep himself on the floor they're definitely a tourney team.

We're still the class of the conference, but if these xfers play out like I'd think they would, BE is likely a 6-7 bid league in 2025.

Reaction Score
Have we really seen major portal overhaul teams work well with any consistency? Especially in year one? Nova was a disaster. STJ didn’t make tourney.

Marquette doesn’t do it. Creighton doesn’t do much either.

I don’t think Frankenstein teams work tbh. Still won with core home growns.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Have we really seen major portal overhaul teams work well with any consistency? Especially in year one? Nova was a disaster. STJ didn’t make tourney.

Chemistry matters I feel like. Not sure what Alabama was like last year retention wise. I know they had at least the guy from NDSU but not sure of others.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Johnnies should've made the tourney according to KP, Torvik and NET. And Nova has Neptune. Shaneen with these adds should be a far different story than Neptune was. And Xavier has their xfers and Freemantle back, so they'll be significantly better, IMO.

Reaction Score
Reading that depressed me a bit. Seeing them listed all together is different than the dribs and drabs from the portal thread. Even DePaul looks like it won't be a walkover (10 xfers!). Pitino with Kadary, Smith and Scott worries me. Seton Hall looks on paper to be a defensive nightmare, especially at the arc. Providence is going to miss Carter and Oduro, but they get Hopkins back and their adds look to keep them a main PITA for our guys. While Essandoko probably won't be as all-around good as Oduro, he probably will be a better rim protector, even against SJ and Reed. Xavier will not be crippled this year, and their adds are really interesting. Might have the best 3pt game in the BE now. And if Hugley can keep himself on the floor they're definitely a tourney team.

We're still the class of the conference, but if these xfers play out like I'd think they would, BE is likely a 6-7 bid league in 2025.
If your reaction to a 6-7 bid big east is depression that's a you problem

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you're reaction to a 6-7 bid big east is depression that's a you problem
Good point. When I started writing that I was thinking only in terms of difficulty for our guys rampaging thru the BE. By time I finished, I came to conclusion of the league getting more bids. They were disconnected thoughts.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I feel you, but I’m not depressed about it.

I no longer have anxiety about competition, in any form. There’s multiple reasons for that, but this just excites me about the games this season and beyond.

I want the days of the 2000s where 2x a week we played a marquee top 25 or top 10 matchup.

Reaction Score

Good problem to have. Will prepare us better for the NCAAT just like it has the last couple years.

Reaction Score

We won a championship 2 years ago with 4 of our 9 rotation guys as transfers. And we did it by beating another team with 4 transfers

Reaction Score
We won a championship 2 years ago with 4 of our 9 rotation guys as transfers. And we did it by beating another team with 4 transfers
But our core 3 starters were all home grown from 23. 4 out of 5 starters. That can’t be dismissed. Most of those 4 transfers were on the back end of the rotation outside of Newton.

Last year 3 of 5 starters, 2 of 3 bench guys.

We shall see. I think it’s a lot harder to build chemistry when you’re relying on older guys new to the program. That said, likely no one secret sauce, depends on the player(s) and coach.

Reaction Score
But our core 3 starters were all home grown from 23. 4 out of 5 starters. That can’t be dismissed. Most of those 4 transfers were on the back end of the rotation outside of Newton.

Last year 3 of 5 starters, 2 of 3 bench guys.

We shall see. I think it’s a lot harder to build chemistry when you’re relying on older guys new to the program. That said, likely no one secret sauce, depends on the player(s) and coach.
It's definitely harder to build chemistry, I don't think anyone will deny that. But a team taking transfers doesn't mean they're gonna be bad. This idea of transfers being bad is outdated and dumb. It has been proven over and over again that it's a formula that can work

Reaction Score
The Big East has been tougher for us the last 2 years than the NCAA tourney by……a lot. Having this league be strong battle tests us for March and April.
With that said I would like to say that I don’t like Pitino and St. John’s. That’s all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom