CBS Sports AAC Season Predictions - (Highest UCONN prediction: 8th Place) | The Boneyard

CBS Sports AAC Season Predictions - (Highest UCONN prediction: 8th Place)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As you can imagine, UCONN is predicted to be a bottom of the barrel team. I just don't see it. The schedule lines up winnable games throughout the season. There really isn't a stretch on the schedule that lines up impossible games back to back (to back). I think this is just another example of the low perception of UCONN football. #HuskyUp

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...24648001/expert-predictions-american-athletic

Reaction Score
As you can imagine, UCONN is predicted to be a bottom of the barrel team. I just don't see it. The schedule lines up winnable games throughout the season. There really isn't a stretch on the schedule that lines up impossible games back to back (to back). I think this is just another example of the low perception of UCONN football. #HuskyUp

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...24648001/expert-predictions-american-athletic

Personally, I don't think that perception is low for UConn. I think that a lot of these "experts" think UConn is going in the right direction, but because it's year one of a first time head coach, I think they all see hiccups with the scheme changes. But, we're usually ranked pretty low every year and some how finish at the top. I expect that trend to start again this year.

Reaction Score
We were a very young team and for that matter we are still very young. Many of the young kids got thrown in the fire. So will we gain momentum from the last 3 games and be the team that almost knocked of MI or continue the downtrend. Progress will depend on how fast the OL gets up and running. In Foley we trust.

Dooley

Reaction Score
A full offseason with Coach Balis should help our guys have energy in the 4th Q this season. If the guys buy in to the team-first mentality that is being coached up, then I think we can be an under-the-radar dangerous team. I just don't see us winning less than 6 games this season. I am trying to lower my expectations, but I can't. I think our players are excited to play football again and are anxious to prove it as evidenced by the extreme body transformations that have taken place this offseason. Time to rock the Rent again, my friends. #HuskyUp

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

Personally, I love being in the position of underdog. Keep expectations low and your adversaries off guard, then smoke them before they know what hit them.

Dooley

Reaction Score
To the diehard fan, low expectations are fine because we will go to and watch games no matter what. To the casual UCONN fan, some are going to take a wait-and-see approach still despite the urgent need to #HuskyUp. Many casual fans are probably oblivious or have forgotten that we made a coaching change and are expecting the same results as what we got under PP/GDL. Also, national perception is important. With low expectations comes low perception around the country. UCONN needs to change that. While I agree from a W/L standpoint, it's not bad to be an underdog, there are greater things at play here. Like showing the country that UCONN is a complete athletic department and not "just" a basketball school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Auburn was picked around 9-10 in the SEC last year. I'm ready for our trip to the playoffs.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
3 of those guys have us finishing behind Tulane AND Tulsa? I would love to know the odds of that actually happening...

Reaction Score

The top 4 teams seem to make sense, though I have a bit of skepticism about Cincy. I also think ECU might be a bit underrated but they are new to the league so who knows for sure. I do not get the love some people are showing for South Florida. I didn't think they looked any good at all last year. didn't give me the impression of a program that was improving. Nor do I think Taggart did a good job. As far as UConn, I think somewhere between 5 and 8 is pretty reasonable. To some extent there will be a bunch of teams finishing between 3-5 and 4-4. I'd love to be in the 4-4 group and I do think it is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible.

Reaction Score
More of a statement on the damage PGDL did than the job Diaco is doing.
Obviously none of those experts watched the lack of coaching on the sidelines over the last 2.4 years. I have great expectations for what a real coaching staff can do with the HUSKY Pups. PPGDL did nothing but nod their heads like bobble head dolls and collect paychecks for 2.4 years then they ran off with their buyout money. I thought it was that much of a disgrace. I don't really see that long for the turnaround with HCBD and staff. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't really see that long for the turnaround with HCBD and staff. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Optimism aside, because that's what all fans have pre-season, what do you base your conclusion on? BD has no track record as a head coach. He talks a good game but there is nothing to suggest either instant success or instant failure. No one knows how he will call game. Does he turtle once there is a turnover? Does he play ball control to shorten the game for the other team? Does he play to keep it close and hopefully eke out a win at the end? Is the offensive system playing to the strengths of the available personnel? Does he make in-game coaching adjustments?

No history = no expectations. By week 4, Uconn fans will have a better sense of what they have in terms of a coach and his philosophy.

Reaction Score
Optimism aside, because that's what all fans have pre-season, what do you base your conclusion on? BD has no track record as a head coach. He talks a good game but there is nothing to suggest either instant success or instant failure. No one knows how he will call game. Does he turtle once there is a turnover? Does he play ball control to shorten the game for the other team? Does he play to keep it close and hopefully eke out a win at the end? Is the offensive system playing to the strengths of the available personnel? Does he make in-game coaching adjustments?

No history = no expectations. By week 4, Uconn fans will have a better sense of what they have in terms of a coach and his philosophy.
My optimism is based on the fact that PPGDL are no longer here. We have no where to go but up. The TEAM appears to have bought into the Culture that HCBD is espousing which is more than the long faces of last years team showed. Hate to bring his name up but JH as an AD really put the boots to the HUSKIES. I think that maybe we have been so far removed from a good coaching staff we sit back and say show me. I think this is like a diamond in the rough. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
My optimism is based on the fact that PPGDL are no longer here. We have no where to go but up. The TEAM appears to have bought into the Culture that HCBD is espousing which is more than the long faces of last years team showed.
I'm "cautiously optimistic" for the same reasons, and because I think the schedule sets up reasonably well. I don't think we have the really tough stretch we had last year with Cincy, Central Florida and Louisville. Our tough games seemed to be buffered by some not so tough ones...there are bad things about our schedule...no home games in October for example--really how do you build momentum playing 1 game in 3 weeks?-- but I don't look at any stretch and say to myself, Yow, this is a 3 or 4 game losing streak just waiting to happen like I did last year. Could we lose 3 in a row? Sure, but I don't see a stretch where we have no chance.

Dooley

Reaction Score
TJ Weist didn't have any coaching experience either and he was able to get the team to finish the season strong last year. Now we have a properly conditioned team with an exciting developing culture.

Reaction Score

The guy isn't an 18 year old with no track record. He played at a high level in college (he wasn't a 2 time all B10 selection at linebacker 'cause of his 4.55 40 time), was a top assistant at a top program and attracted assistant coaches who have track records of performing at P5 conferences to a non P5 school - they are betting their next career step on him and they should have pretty good insight into him as a potential head coach since they all coached with him. He got a top S&C coach to come from an SEC school.
The previous PP/GDL coaching/preparing/depth chart set up and playing time was so bad that just by subtraction of negatives the team is much, much better.
He makes good decisions. He saw the sleeping giant at UConn while the assistant at MSU just saw issues. He got his coaching team together and has hit the ground running. Instant success is playing solid fundamental football with few mistakes that improve with each game - wins will come in year 1. Last year was 3-9; individual ability level probably same this year but skill/endurance/toughness/performance that will be shown will be much better.
Last year's ending starting QB was 6'0" tall and 247 lbs and now is 217; I am 6'2" and was 251 Jan of 2013 and am know 212 - I can tell you what a difference that makes and no crazed 300 lbs guys are chasing me. And CC wasn't the only one, McCummings was way overweight also.
Diaco will be successful right away. There is nothing to suggest instant failure, a lot to suggest instant success.

Reaction Score
The guy isn't an 18 year old with no track record. He played at a high level in college (he wasn't a 2 time all B10 selection at linebacker 'cause of his 4.55 40 time), was a top assistant at a top program and attracted assistant coaches who have track records of performing at P5 conferences to a non P5 school - they are betting their next career step on him and they should have pretty good insight into him as a potential head coach since they all coached with him. He got a top S&C coach to come from an SEC school.
The previous PP/GDL coaching/preparing/depth chart set up and playing time was so bad that just by subtraction of negatives the team is much, much better.
He makes good decisions. He saw the sleeping giant at UConn while the assistant at MSU just saw issues. He got his coaching team together and has hit the ground running. Instant success is playing solid fundamental football with few mistakes that improve with each game - wins will come in year 1. Last year was 3-9; individual ability level probably same this year but skill/endurance/toughness/performance that will be shown will be much better.
Last year's ending starting QB was 6'0" tall and 247 lbs and now is 217; I am 6'2" and was 251 Jan of 2013 and am know 212 - I can tell you what a difference that makes and no crazed 300 lbs guys are chasing me. And CC wasn't the only one, McCummings was way overweight also.
Diaco will be successful right away. There is nothing to suggest instant failure, a lot to suggest instant success.
Well put, I agree with every point you made. Our seats are to the right of the UCONN bench and I remember saying to someone that I couldn't believe the size of Cochran, his ass was as wide as his shoulder pads. And I'm not sure if that 247 was reflected in the programs either. I went up to the last open practice and saw McCummings sitting on a training table looking forlorn but mostly grossly overweight for a college QB coming into a season. Did these guys even have a summer fitness schedule? No wonder Lagow wanted out after a couple of weeks. He must have recognized the level of coaching incompetence even compared to Texas HS all star games. Thank God that is all behind them and us. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Well put, I agree with every point you made. Our seats are to the right of the UCONN bench and I remember saying to someone that I couldn't believe the size of Cochran, his ass was as wide as his shoulder pads. And I'm not sure if that 247 was reflected in the programs either. I went up to the last open practice and saw McCummings sitting on a training table looking forlorn but mostly grossly overweight for a college QB coming into a season. Did these guys even have a summer fitness schedule? No wonder Lagow wanted out after a couple of weeks. He must have recognized the level of coaching incompetence even compared to Texas HS all star games. Thank God that is all behind them and us. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!

Know what the problem is with these so-called "experts?" Not one of them has the guts to say, "I have no idea how UCONN will play in 2014." So they pick "lousy." Probably afraid to lose their "expert" status.

Reaction Score
Exactly my thoughts.

I have issue with the armchair coaches placing UConn behind Memphis a team that UConn with nothing to play for beat 45 to 10. I also think that USF football has been more of a train wreck than UConn football over the last few years. The top 4 (Cincinnati, UCF, Houston & ECU), I have no issue with. I honestly think that UConn goes ten toes in with Diaco and stays generally healthy, they will be in the middle of the pack with SMU and USF and above Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane, and Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom