CBS Sports: 10 "Glue Guys" to Watch | The Boneyard

CBS Sports: 10 "Glue Guys" to Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
How can a PG like Craft be a 'glue guy?' The PG is supposed to be the floor general. How can a floor general be a 'glue guy'?
Also, Didn't CBS have him ahead of Bazz in the top100 CBB player list?
How can a top 10 player be considered a glue guy? So fuking ridiculous with the media propping up Craft.

CBS is an absolute joke when it comes to college basketball.

Reaction Score
How can a PG like Craft be a 'glue guy?' The PG is supposed to be the floor general. How can a floor general be a 'glue guy'?
How can a top 10 player be considered a glue guy? So fuking ridiculous with the media propping up Craft.

In fairness to Rothstein, he wasn't involved in the compiling of the top 100 or top PG/Combos lists so he might not view Craft as highly as Parrish, Norlander, and Borzello do.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Top 10 playaz = Super Glue

Reaction Score

the things some people get upset over..

Reaction Score
Can we not redirect this thread away from Giffey?

I am happy that he got some recognition. He will be very valuable to us as a Senior playing along so many underclassmen. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the court at the end of close games over Calhoun and others. I trust him.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ge-basketball-preseason-10-glue-guys-to-watch

Nice to see Neils get a little recognition but if anyone at CBS but Rothstein had written this there's no way he gets a mention.
Funny thing about that list was when it was first posted, Giffey wasn't on it. Someone asked him on Twitter why there was no mention of Giffey on the list, and Rothstein mentioned Giffey was on the radar. Must have had second thoughts and placed him on the list. I wonder who Rothstein swapped out for him.

e@eze0029 15 Oct
@JonRothstein think Niels Giffey would have been good glue guy..can defend 4 spots, good shooter, Intl' experience, natl champ in 2011
@eze0029 debated putting Giffey on the list. Really like his game. On the radar for sure.​

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

It seems to me that "glue guy" is what they call a good, productive player who can't shoot. They called Taliek a glue guy.

Reaction Score
Funny thing about that list was when it was first posted, Giffey wasn't on it. Someone asked him on Twitter why there was no mention of Giffey on the list, and Rothstein mentioned Giffey was on the radar. Must have had second thoughts and placed him on the list. I wonder who Rothstein swapped out for him.

e@eze0029 15 Oct
@JonRothstein think Niels Giffey would have been good glue guy..can defend 4 spots, good shooter, Intl' experience, natl champ in 2011
@eze0029 debated putting Giffey on the list. Really like his game. On the radar for sure.​
Thanks for pointing that out because I saw that list yesterday and thought the same thing about Giffey not being on it. I went to the link and he was on there and I'm thinking, "How did I miss that yesterday?" I was going to post the article and say something exactly what things were pointed out in that tweet above about Giffey. Isn't that what a glue guy is? Not sure how the starting point guard who is getting all kinds of national attention (Craft) is a glue guy. They're usually under the radar types who aren't stars.

Reaction Score

I actually think it's perfect. He's an elite defender but nothing else about his game really stands out. Not a great shooter.. not a great playmaker.. not a great scorer. He just does the things it takes to win.

Reaction Score
I actually think it's perfect. He's an elite defender but nothing else about his game really stands out. Not a great shooter.. not a great playmaker.. not a great scorer. He just does the things it takes to win.
He has the ability to pass,score and rebound plus defensivily he has can rachet up the defensive intensity especially coming off the bench. College BB is a game of runs. Runs happen because of stops.
Starting off a game with defendive intensity and maintaining and increasing that intensity as you sub can be deadly.
The thing this years team has is a maturity level that I can't recall on recent UConn teams. Maybe since 2004 or 1999.
It has one leader importantant at crunch time and more scorers than all but our classic teams. Injuries are the only thing I fear.

Reaction Score

Watch, they'll put him on their 10 centers to watch list:p

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Definition of glue guy. (1) Team defender, defends his position while always helping with blocks, steals, denying a pass or drive, boxes out even if he doesn't get the rebound and most importantly doesn't foul, but takes charges; (2) sound passing and dribbling with few turnovers (can break the press; may not get the assist, but puts the ball in the hands of the right person at the right time; (3) good shot selection with a high FG% and knocks down free throws. Finally, you can't be a glue guy if you don't dive for a loose ball on average once per game. Giffey, when he plays at his best, does all of theses little things to help making the team better even if he doesn't get a rebound, assist or bucket to go along with the effort.
Bottom line - glue guys help the stars get the stats and put the team above personal glory.

Reaction Score
Sometimes glue guys can shoot - but spotting up is their primary role on offense (Bruce Bowen with Spurs, etc.). The concept is that they make the unit more cohesive by filling in the things that the team needs ("the glue that holds us together").

What makes Niels a good one is that he can defend a lot of positions (so he enables us to go big or go small), he can get us a rebound, spot up and make a shot, etc.

Best glue guy we ever had was Henefeld. He wasn't a big-time scorer (11.6 ppg) or a guy who you would clear out for on offense. But if there was any little thing that needed to be done (rebound, pass, spot up 3, steal, stop, etc.), he could do it. He was so good at being a glue guy, he's not thought of as a glue guy - he's just thought of as a stud.

Reaction Score
Krafts defense is so overrated it makes my head hurt, and even if it isn't; how is he thought of as first/second team AA? Thats like considering tony allen second team all nba or a top 20 player. I'm guessing his defensive ferocity is curtailed by the new rules.

Reaction Score
What makes Giffey a "glue guy" is not his shooting ability or his versatility. It's the fact that he's one of the better defensive players in the country and has been since he stepped on the floor in Maui three years ago.

Reaction Score
He has the ability to pass,score and rebound plus defensivily he has can rachet up the defensive intensity especially coming off the bench. College BB is a game of runs. Runs happen because of stops.
Starting off a game with defendive intensity and maintaining and increasing that intensity as you sub can be deadly.
The thing this years team has is a maturity level that I can't recall on recent UConn teams. Maybe since 2004 or 1999.
It has one leader importantant at crunch time and more scorers than all but our classic teams. Injuries are the only thing I fear.

His career numbers are about 9 ppg , 3 rebounds, and 4.5 assists. I don't disagree with anything you said but he's the very definition of a glue guy. Dirty work, not big stats, but makes winning plays

Reaction Score
His career numbers are about 9 ppg , 3 rebounds, and 4.5 assists. I don't disagree with anything you said but he's the very definition of a glue guy. Dirty work, not big stats, but makes winning plays

You are talking about Craft, he's referring to Giffey.

Reaction Score
Stat line of an average glue guy, widely regarded as a consesus all America : something does make sense right ?

Reaction Score
Saw the Jon Rothstein article on CBSSports.com.

Ollie is determined to have four guys on the floor who can handle the ball and likes the idea of using 6-7 senior Niels Giffey at both the three and the four. Giffey will likely back up Daniels as a stretch power forward.
"Niels is a glue guy for us," Ollie said."
So I'm guessing that's why Giffey got added to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom