CBS article on Hurley | The Boneyard

CBS article on Hurley

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is no longer broke, but at UConn, he's the best chance to fix things

"I'm like a fixer, man," Hurley said. "I love broken . I love fixing stuff. I enjoy improving things. … I'd rather take a job like Rhode Island than take a turn-key job. For me, I find it more rewarding, a more exciting challenge to create something from nothing."

Hope Hurley is up for the task.

The video on the page is pure garbage, as the CBS studio guys crap all over UConn and call this a 'stepping stone' job for Hurley. But Norlander's article is good.

Reaction Score
At 3+ million per year its pretty much assumed that a coach at that salary is at his career job. There are only a handful of places that could buy Hurley out AND give him substantially more money that he would consider it at this point. Those schools already have their career coaches e,g, Coach K, Squid etc

Reaction Score
#cusegrads

UConn needs to step up its "communications major" game.

Reaction Score
I have never heard of Tim Doyle before. A few of my initial observations: his hair is ridiculous, he talks like he has marbles in his mouth; and his takes are both hot and non-sensical. There was also a hint of undeserved arrogance, despite his buffoonery and a super-unimpressive resume as a former 1-year starter at Northwestern, where he transferred in after one nondescript season as a back-up at St. Johns.

He does not believe we can be a consistent top 20 program (and consistently win 25 games a year) because of our location? That is asinine. We CAN BE a consistent top 20 program BECAUSE of our location. You know, the Northeast - talent and people rich Northeast. The people in this region kind of like basketball, too.

Reaction Score
I have never heard of Tim Doyle before. A few of my initial observations: his hair is ridiculous, he talks like he has marbles in his mouth; and his takes are both hot and non-sensical. There was also a hint of undeserved arrogance, despite his buffoonery and a super-unimpressive resume as a former 1-year starter at Northwestern, where he transferred in after one nondescript season as a back-up at St. Johns.

He does not believe we can be a consistent top 20 program (and consistently win 25 games a year) because of our location? That is asinine. We CAN BE a consistent top 20 program BECAUSE of our location. You know, the Northeast - talent and people rich Northeast. The people in this region kind of like basketball, too.

If i ran CBS and i had a guy say "Uconn is a stepping stone" and the stuff you you just paraphrased id take him off the air immediately. What an absolute imbecile.

Reaction Score

"I'm like a fixer, man," Hurley said. "I love broken . I love fixing stuff. I enjoy improving things. … I'd rather take a job like Rhode Island than take a turn-key job. For me, I find it more rewarding, a more exciting challenge to create something from nothing."

The video on the page is pure garbage, as the CBS studio guys crap all over UConn and call this a 'stepping stone' job for Hurley. But Norlander's article is good.
Ho...leeeeee...crap! I just became a little dumber after watching that mess. Uconn a stepping stone? To what exactly? The NBA? Sure thats understandable. To bigger jobs? Liiiiiike? Please, do tell. Absolutely idiotic to think DH cant win national titles here. CBS should be embarrassed putting such buffoonery on the air.

Reaction Score

That's hysterical. Stepping stone to where ? Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan St ? Sure. And when are those jobs going to be available ? I can't imagine anyone with half a brain thinks Hurley would be successful at UConn and then "step up" to someplace like NC State or something. I mean, guess I could potentially see a place like Michigan or Ohio State, but wouldn't that require Hurley to be VERY successful at UConn ? At which point, why leave ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A job with the potential of UConn might literally only come once in your life.
Dan Hurley has roamed the northeast all his life. Now, at UConn, he aims to become the king of it.

:)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
6F561ABD-35BF-42A1-B4EA-6309FCC5BA83.gif

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Rooting for Bobby Hurley, Steve Woj, and Mike Hopkins at their perspective schools. Duke and Syracuse will have the money to take Hurley from us whenever they want, especially if (like us) they decide he's a must get. Especially Duke, who could double his salary (or more) considering they pay K around 10 mil.

Reaction Score
At 3+ million per year its pretty much assumed that a coach at that salary is at his career job. There are only a handful of places that could buy Hurley out AND give him substantially more money that he would consider it at this point. Those schools already have their career coaches e,g, Coach K, Squid etc

Dan having a conversation with Geno his first day at the office

Geno - Hey Dan Congrats on the new job and welcome to Storrs.

Danny - You know Geno, this is such a great stepping stone job.

Geno - Stepping Stone? Stepping Stone? What ???

Danny - Yeah, you know coach K is getting kinda close, if Duke opens up....oh that's right Bobby would take that one, well ya know Boheim is up there too.Those type of elite jobs. UCONN is just a rung on the ladder!

Geno - Yeah and when I'm ready to hang up my Nike's I suppose some young wise ass is going to call my job a stepping stone too!! Hey Dannyboy, step on this and get the hell out of my office!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Funny. How old is this guy? Weren’t we consistently a Top 20 program with 25 wins per for two decades. Not to mention just a few national championships...

Reaction Score
Hurley might be the guy, but we don't need a program builder. This is a short-term re-build. He has the resources and the cache to sustain a top 25 program, and while I'm not expecting all of it to take shape in year one, I imagine he'll be well on his way.

Where the fan base will really be tested is in years five, six, seven...tournament results can be fickle, and if we ran out the last coach because we couldn't handle the extreme highs and lows, then we should be consistent and show patience with Hurley.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rooting for Bobby Hurley, Steve Woj, and Mike Hopkins at their perspective schools. Duke and Syracuse will have the money to take Hurley from us whenever they want, especially if (like us) they decide he's a must get. Especially Duke, who could double his salary (or more) considering they pay K around 10 mil.

Hurley would never go for the Syracuse job. For pretty much the same reasons he didn't go for the Pitt job.

Duke can pull whomever they want. If they target Hurley, so be it. That means we were very successful.

Reaction Score
Tim Doyle. What a chode.
He states it’s not the program it once was then says we aren’t elite cuz who wants to play in Storrs CT. Dude can’t make an argument to save his life. The school won four titles in Storrs what the hell does that have to do with anything?

There is a reason why the video is buried and Tim Doyle is given much exposure.

Reaction Score
Where the fan base will really be tested is in years five, six, seven...tournament results can be fickle, and if we ran out the last coach because we couldn't handle the extreme highs and lows, then we should be consistent and show patience with Hurley.
We ran out the last guy because there had been nothing but "extreme lows" for two years with no end in sight, and there hadn't even been more than a moderate "high" since the end of 2014.

If Hurley follows up a national championship with 1 tournament appearance and back-to-back losing seasons in 4 years, then yeah, he should probably be run out too.

Something tells me he won't.

Reaction Score
We ran out the last guy because there had been nothing but "extreme lows" for two years with no end in sight, and there hadn't even been more than a moderate "high" since the end of 2014.

If Hurley follows up a national championship with 1 tournament appearance and back-to-back losing seasons in 4 years, then yeah, he should probably be run out too.

Something tells me he won't.

So basically if you only look at the period where there were extreme lows, there were nothing but extreme lows? I understand the overall trajectory did not bode well for his future success at UConn, especially when taken with all the other red flags, but I do think there is risk in overvaluing the recent past when you are dealing with a small sample of data. I also think people are way too binary when they talk about this stuff. You can support the decision to fire Ollie while acknowledging that we might still regret it. There's nothing contradictory about that statement but most people on this board will bite your head off for even suggesting such a thing could be possible.

Any sort of qualitative analysis here is going to entertain some level of variance as an explanation for the fluctuation in performance, especially when you're dealing with a young coach (and I know Hurley has made a few stops now, but he's still coming here as far from a finished product). If it has been determined that Hurley is the safer, more practical choice given his curve, I have no problem with that. My point is that if you fire a coach despite his resume, you had better be willing to continue to invest in a coach whose general performance is not supported by the arbitrary designations by which we tend to measure these things (tournament results). In other words, if Hurley is here for six years and fails to advance past the first weekend of the tournament, that doesn't necessarily mean we should fire him. Jay Wright went six years relatively recently without a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Nova stuck with him because they believed in the process and I hope UConn does the same if a similar situation presents itself.

Reaction Score
So basically if you only look at the period where there were extreme lows, there were nothing but extreme lows? I understand the overall trajectory did not bode well for his future success at UConn, especially when taken with all the other red flags, but I do think there is risk in overvaluing the recent past when you are dealing with a small sample of data.
I'm very sad about how it ended for KO, but starting in 2015--when we lost to Yale--there were few highs: the Jalen Adams shot and the victory over Colorado in the NCAAs (a talented team that was subsequently pantzed by Kansas). In other words, 67% of his time here his teams were not as good as we thought they would be going into the season.

So, you can say there was one year of moderate highs (2013), one year of some lows but the extreme high of the title, for which I will be forever grateful to KO (2014), a semi-expected down year that was worse than it should have been (2015--Senior Boat, DH, Purvis, Brimah should have been better), a year with great promise that was underwhelming (2016), and two disaster years the likes of which we hadn't seen since the Perno years.

My point is that if you fire a coach despite his resume,

He wasn't fired in spite of his resume. He was kept in 2017 in deference to the title; he was fired because his teams had gotten continually worse and he couldn't seem to develop players or keep talented players in the program. Outside of one year, that was ultimately his resume.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tldr I don't want to hear from "he can't win the big one" or "i'll trade everything for a final four" guy on this if you were down with the ollie firing.

Reaction Score
tldr I don't want to hear from "he can't win the big one" or "i'll trade everything for a final four" guy on this if you were down with the ollie firing.
The reversing resumes idea makes no sense. Reverse OJ's resume and he goes from a murderer to someone who totally redeems himself by having a successful football and acting career, and then, oddly, playing college football for a while.

It was clear to anyone paying attention that 2014 was a fluke. A fluke KO was, IMO, fully responsible for. He earned that title. But he was another Craig Esherick or, more accurately, Mike Davis. Hell, in Mike Davis's six years at Indiana he went to the NCAAs 4 times and only had 1 sub-.500 record.

In other words, the fact that KO was fired has no bearing on Hurley. If, in six years, Hurley has a similar resume--trend included!--he won't be extended. If he goes to the tournament with a lot of high seeds but can't make the Final Four, than yeah, we'll start to question if he can win the big one. That makes sense.

But the team was never making a Final Four run again with KO. Next year would have been only marginally better than this one, and then we'd lose JA and replace him with... ? Akinjo's nice and all, but there's little chance he'll have the individual talent of JA.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Tim Doyle knows a lot about being the doormat. He played at NW, they’re just like Pitt except their players aren’t thugs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom