Cavanaugh Interview on USCHO | The Boneyard

Cavanaugh Interview on USCHO

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh said Huska returned to practice on Tuesday.

Cavanaugh stated the hockey facility will be upgraded in two phases. The first phase will be upgrading the practice facility. The second phase will be a new on campus arena. He said it will be “piggybacking” off the new baseball, softball, soccer facilities.

UConn’s Cavanaugh, USCHO.com’s Weston join Feb. 6 edition of USCHO Live!

Reaction Score

Cavanaugh stated the hockey facility will be upgraded in two phases. The first phase will be upgrading the practice facility. The second phase will be a new on campus arena. He said it will be “piggybacking” off the new baseball, softball, soccer facilities.

Makes sense now with him getting this recruiting class...he had to have concrete plans to show these kids.

Reaction Score

I believe all along it was the intent that the soccer, baseball, and softball facilities would share various functions with each other. To me it is no surprise that they would throw the ice hockey facility into this mix as well, considering Freitas is already there.

Reaction Score

With the whole new rendering of the Olympic Park idea, I think the Discovery Drive parcel is out the window.

I can't find the old populous renderings pdf, but I found this.

Later in the clip:
Architect outlines potential stadium projects at UConn

I really hope they don't do the rendering in video clip. Freitas is at the end of its lifespan and a really bad idea to try and expand within roof footprint. Too much $$ for not a lot of seats/amenities for players/fans.

They should keep current Freitas and expand S/C, classroom, locker room area etc. make it a real nice practice/public skate area. Keep current capacity or remove seats if you have to.

And build the best new HE acceptable rink next to it. Go all out.

I-lot will get eaten up, but I think they are expanding parking development elsewhere. Sucks, you'll probably have to pay to park now. But if it gets em an on-campus arena, I'm all for it.

I will donate to that new arena if they do it right. If they skimp, no dice.

Note: I do like how cav mentioned the weekend stays in hotel attached to XL. I didn't know they stayed there.

Guys, I want an on-campus arena, but even cav says there are advantages to playing at XL. No "distractions" and the whole campus life where they can just concentrate on hockey.

Having games @ XL and hopefully a well done arena on campus will be a great selling point to recruits.

Also, keep Creel in there. Maybe have Huska in for 1 remaining regular season game. 1 game weeks will be tough to get back in groove.

You may need em in a playoffs wknd, but I really don't like the idea of huska coming in cold. (See creel 1st period against PC)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yea, go with this one:
With the whole new rendering of the Olympic Park idea, I think the Discovery Drive parcel is out the window.

I can't find the old populous renderings pdf, but I found this.

Later in the clip:
Architect outlines potential stadium projects at UConn

I really hope they don't do the rendering in video clip. Freitas is at the end of its lifespan and a really bad idea to try and expand within roof footprint. Too much $$ for not a lot of seats/amenities for players/fans.

They should keep current Freitas and expand S/C, classroom, locker room area etc. make it a real nice practice/public skate area. Keep current capacity or remove seats if you have to.

And build the best new HE acceptable rink next to it. Go all out.

I-lot will get eaten up, but I think they are expanding parking development elsewhere. Sucks, you'll probably have to pay to park now. But if it gets em an on-campus arena, I'm all for it.

I will donate to that new arena if they do it right. If they skimp, no dice.

Note: I do like how cav mentioned the weekend stays in hotel attached to XL. I didn't know they stayed there.

Guys, I want an on-campus arena, but even cav says there are advantages to playing at XL. No "distractions" and the whole campus life where they can just concentrate on hockey.

Having games @ XL and hopefully a well done arena on campus will be a great selling point to recruits.

Also, keep Creel in there. Maybe have Huska in for 1 remaining regular season game. 1 game weeks will be tough to get back in groove.

You may need em in a playoffs wknd, but I really don't like the idea of huska coming in cold. (See creel 1st period against PC)
If you listen to what Cav says..sounds like Freitas will be upgraded and used as a practice facility and a stand alone arena will be built that will allow them to play games on campus...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom