Castle working through growing pains (Mike Anthony article) | The Boneyard

Castle working through growing pains (Mike Anthony article)

Reaction Score
“It’s all about motor,” coach Dan Hurley said. “He can’t play in spurts and he can’t make a splash play and then kind of disappear for a couple minutes. Once we get him playing every possession like it’s life or death, and fully understanding his identity …”

Alternate access:

Stephon Castle working through growing pains with UConn men's basketball team: 'It's about motor'

Reaction Score
In the same post-practice presser Hurley had a couple of interesting comments about AK having to learn to use his voice better as a leader, basically knowing which buttons to push and when. This is something I was slightly concerned about…almost like a colleague all becoming your supervisor and getting power-trippy. I’m hoping he’s able to grow into this role and not force it as it will help the team form the kind of chemistry that is critical for success. He also commented about the vultures circling in February looking to recruit our players, and having to re-recruit Samson. Crazy to me that that was happening before the tournament but I guess you can’t be surprised in this day and age of the portal.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to be a great freshman coach. I have to imagine that these stars come in pampered and rarely pushed beyond their gifts.

All of 'his' UConn freshman who stick around and follow his instructions have significantly improved, starting with Bouk.

This new group of 5, I have no doubt will be incredible college ballers by the time they leave, if they follow Coach.

Reaction Score
If Hurley can get him buying in on effort and intensity at 100%, he has the ability to give us everything Andre Jackson did and more (finishing at the rim, credible shooting threat).

Reaction Score
Not surprising, I imagine most freshmen that aren't super freak athletes would struggle with a UConn practice. Full faith that the staff will get him ready before the big games on the schedule. Having Diarra in practice will help immensely, because he's exactly the type of tough defender that Castle will need to get used to beating

Newton will be a great role model too. Newton struggled a lot at times in BE play, so he'll know exactly what to tell Castle if he needs help adjusting

Castle is great at getting to his spots and drawing contact, and I'm looking forward to a lot of and1's this year

Reaction Score
growing pains? it’s been..what… a month?
A freshman can’t have growing pains a month in? Hurley is pushing buttons. He knows what he’s doing. Castle will be more than fine

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to be a great freshman coach. I have to imagine that these stars come in pampered and rarely pushed beyond their gifts.

All of 'his' UConn freshman who stick around and follow his instructions have significantly improved, starting with Bouk.

This new group of 5, I have no doubt will be incredible college ballers by the time they leave, if they follow Coach.
Not so much success w/Rasool and CF, Jr.... Maybe they did not follow his instructions, or, they were just horrible... I wish all, and each, of the "Fab 5" success during thier stay at UConn.

Reaction Score
Coach has high expectations for Stephon. He doesn't get the same kind of handicap Clingan or Karaban did. He needs to be challenged now to perform in November.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Hurley and Kimani too jeez we are blessed with coaches/teachers!

Reaction Score
Not so much success w/Rasool and CF, Jr.... Maybe they did not follow his instructions, or, they were just horrible... I wish all, and each, of the "Fab 5" success during thier stay at UConn.
If you listen to the closing minutes of Hurley’s post-scrimmage comments to reporters yesterday, he alluded to guys who have come to UConn and either didn’t put in the work, or had other people in their ears. He may have been referring to Sool and CFJr. I actually thought there may have been some reference to Bouk there too.

Reaction Score
IMO.. Stephon has had a substantial size advantage at PG at the HS level and age level he has played against and could dictate flow of game/mismatch situations/getting his shot off on the dribble or over his defender almost at will.. Could understand why he's a confident young man. At the college level he will be playing against stronger/faster/more physical guys who will body him and try to get in his head.. He will share ball handling responsibilities with both Tristen/Cam .. Danny is just trying to prep him for that by emphasizing his motor/energy 100% of the time to match up with his excellent skill set.. Great coaches/staffs know it will pay dividends in March/April..

Reaction Score
Newton coming back will be great for bringing Castle along.
What gets me really excited is the idea that if Spencer and Newton assert themselves as the starting backcourt theyll score but if they can defend that is a lot of experience against a lot of younger backcourts we`ll come across especially in the tourney. Experienced backcourt is HUGE in March.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Another bust.

I love you Stephon it's a joke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members