Carlton led the team in assists | The Boneyard

Carlton led the team in assists

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Actually tied with Gilbert, but still, we aren't going to win a game where that happens. Apart from those two, nobody had more than one assist. Final A:T for the game? 9:19

C

Chief00

There were several Gilbert plays that Calhoun would have grabbed or slapped him for. He did some great things on defense, pushing the ball and made a relaxed open 3. But these bail out bullet passes down at someone’s knees have got to end NOW. He should be taken out of the game every time he does that. Nothing else has worked.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Josh Carlton was at the line and needed to sink a free throw to put us up 1 at the end. But nope. I fear I will see this free throw all night in my sleep.

I wish, today, he stuck to scoring points instead of dishing the rock.

Reaction Score
Josh Carlton was at the line and needed to sink a free throw to put us up 1 at the end. But nope. I fear I will see this free throw all night in my sleep.

Same. That 2nd missed FT has been eating at me all day.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I definitely know I’m tough on the kid but man it’s just frustrating because he’s shown so much and he just isn’t quite as good as really could be. Also what was going through his head when he got the board at the end of 2OT (kudos on the board) and just kind of stood there waiting until the clock expired to dish?!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I definitely know I’m tough on the kid but man it’s just frustrating because he’s shown so much and he just isn’t quite as good as really could be. Also what was going through his head when he got the board at the end of 2OT (kudos on the board) and just kind of stood there waiting until the clock expired to dish?!
He literally just processes things too slowly.

Reaction Score
The young man is foot slow, decision slow and can’t finish around the rim. He tries. Hurley has him doing to much beyond his capability. The offense can not run through him. He should be a garbage collector operating within 8 feet of the rim at all times, setting low screens and the occasional high screen at the foul line. You need guys like Akok and Sid flashing and slashing, and CV rotating to open 3 spots. Our guards shouldn’t penetrate beyond a few feet into the lane unless they intend to finish.

Reaction Score
Same. That 2nd missed FT has been eating at me all day.
I didn't want to mention this because Carlton was getting beat up on all day, but damn if he would have made that free throw, we all might just be in a better mood. Since there were other missed free throws you can't pin the loss on Carlton, but what you can say is he had an opportunity to really boost his confidence, his team, his legacy, etc . . . . . . . . . . but he choked.

Reaction Score
The young man is foot slow, decision slow and can’t finish around the rim. He tries. Hurley has him doing to much beyond his capability. The offense can not run through him. He should be a garbage collector operating within 8 feet of the rim at all times, setting low screens and the occasional high screen at the foul line. You need guys like Akok and Sid flashing and slashing, and CV rotating to open 3 spots. Our guards shouldn’t penetrate beyond a few feet into the lane unless they intend to finish.

I agree about Carlton. Unfortunately Akok and Sid do not have a back to the basket game at this time. Akok has time to develop one.

Reaction Score
There were several Gilbert plays that Calhoun would have grabbed or slapped him for. He did some great things on defense, pushing the ball and made a relaxed open 3. But these bail out bullet passes down at someone’s knees have got to end NOW. He should be taken out of the game every time he does that. Nothing else has worked.

He also threw a couple that should have been caught and laid in easily but weren't. Listen he had 2 critical and TOs and 2 missed FTs which stand out like a sore thumb and should he needs to make better decisions in those cases. But we also love to say "he's shooting 32%" after a game in which he was 2-4 from 3 and besides Sids 2-3 the team was 1 for 12. He played 45 minutes and handled the ball most of the time as we have no one else at all who can as a point, Gaffney crapped his pants once again against better defenders and he can't guard a chair for now. Adams is not the same guy who he was earlier in the year. Vital was fantastic yesterday on both ends, he and Sid were the only ones you can point to and say kudos to. As a matter of fact someone said something to the effect of "too bad he didn't have better PGs to play with"? LOL that's once every 3 games I wonder how come no one ever says this about AG? His inconsistent at best team makes it very difficult not to want to do things himself at times sorry but it's true. Not defending his inability to stay consistent with his decision making, not forcing things when not necessary. But heck everyone wants to throw it all at him and it's just wrong. They missed 13 FT's, missed easy lay ups, Josh couldn't guard anyone last night was schooled buy a decent 5 who was great in this game. Amok was invisible in the first half and still only scored 2 that's impossible. Our coach doesn't run plays for Bouk or Akok so our PG and other guards have to do something. One thing for sure is our PG played his tail off on the other end and despite everyone always wanting to pin him with losses he's also a big reason we are even in a game like this.

Enough said just sick of the blind people who single him out. He deserves some just like everyone else no denying that but the one's who say he shouldn't start, should be on the bench just don't get it period. Tough to even come on this board these days.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to mention this because Carlton was getting beat up on all day, but damn if he would have made that free throw, we all might just be in a better mood. Since there were other missed free throws you can't pin the loss on Carlton, but what you can say is he had an opportunity to really boost his confidence, his team, his legacy, etc . . . . . . . . . . but he choked.

Not just the FT but how many bunnies can one miss at that size? I mean even when he got fouled a couple of times if he could do things faster he'd be "and 1" all game. He's beyond frustrating so often but the kid works hard, just slow. Oh and a reminder to him, Echenique is a righty! LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Hopefully it takes more than that to make you lose sleep. Otherwise, his foul shooting will bring you regular insomnia.

Reaction Score
Josh needs help on the defensive end. We needed a second center this year instead we took an ineligible power forward. Bad strategy, we are paying for.

Also, when we play a team with a good scoring center, there needs to be a better game plan. Leaving Josh alone is a poor option. The double team needs to come from different places and the rotation needs to be sound. Danny needs to design something that doesn't play to Josh's weaknesses.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

On the other hand he made a great pass that hit Josh in the hands and then in the face. Josh was down low and they tripled Al, who hit the open center, and who should have been ready and dunked it easily. Instead it became a turnover.

Al over-committed and made several bad passes, but he also makes good passes that his teammates don't convert. Seems lie half the roster just watches and isn't ready for the pass.

C

Chief00

He also threw a couple that should have been caught and laid in easily but weren't. Listen he had 2 critical and TOs and 2 missed FTs which stand out like a sore thumb and should he needs to make better decisions in those cases. But we also love to say "he's shooting 32%" after a game in which he was 2-4 from 3 and besides Sids 2-3 the team was 1 for 12. He played 45 minutes and handled the ball most of the time as we have no one else at all who can as a point, Gaffney crapped his pants once again against better defenders and he can't guard a chair for now. Adams is not the same guy who he was earlier in the year. Vital was fantastic yesterday on both ends, he and Sid were the only ones you can point to and say kudos to. As a matter of fact someone said something to the effect of "too bad he didn't have better PGs to play with"? LOL that's once every 3 games I wonder how come no one ever says this about AG? His inconsistent at best team makes it very difficult not to want to do things himself at times sorry but it's true. Not defending his inability to stay consistent with his decision making, not forcing things when not necessary. But heck everyone wants to throw it all at him and it's just wrong. They missed 13 FT's, missed easy lay ups, Josh couldn't guard anyone last night was schooled buy a decent 5 who was great in this game. Amok was invisible in the first half and still only scored 2 that's impossible. Our coach doesn't run plays for Bouk or Akok so our PG and other guards have to do something. One thing for sure is our PG played his tail off on the other end and despite everyone always wanting to pin him with losses he's also a big reason we are even in a game like this.

Enough said just sick of the blind people who single him out. He deserves some just like everyone else no denying that but the one's who say he shouldn't start, should be on the bench just don't get it period. Tough to even come on this board these days.
I agree AG was a mixed bag and I tried to give him credit for what he did well. But, why at this stage is he a mixed bag? Chief wants him to be better than that and what’s frustrating is I think he can be - but Chief can’t figure out why - wish I could.

Reaction Score

Until you have a viable alternative there's not much to do. There isn't one, unless you like Gaffney running the offense 40 feet from the hoop.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Until you have a viable alternative there's not much to do. There isn't one, unless you like Gaffney running the offense 4 feet from the hoop.
Why can't AG just cut the crap?

Reaction Score
To me, Carlton is extremely frustrating. I have come to grips that he is foot slow and lacks anywhere close to the definition of a fast twitch muscle. However, I don't really feel like he plays outside of himself, but can never and has never capitalized on opportunities consistently. We talk about how he added muscle mass and maybe that isn't a good thing (as it may be slowing him down even more), but this should help him absorb contact by the basket. However, I swear every time Carlton gets the ball by the basket, whether he is fouled or not, throws up a shot that nearly hits the the top of the glass. It is never close to the rim and he's only like 2-4 ft away. Where is the touch? What does he work on? Like come on, it's a realistic expectation that the ball should touch the rim, or that you dunk the ball 100% of the time when you are 7ft tall at the rim by yourself. My frustrations come from the things he should be having more success with, but can't seem to figure out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Carlton just looks uninterested and a step behind everyone. It shows, DH constantly tried to pump him up during the game yesterday.

Reaction Score
Carlton was a mixed bag and had what 12 rebounds and 13 points? 3 assists. But he shot 46% from line missing 6 on 13 attempts. Game. Miss 4 and we win. He was also torched pretty good on defense but he has no backup. I hear take him out all the time but what is the plan?

Reaction Score
Carlton was a mixed bag and had what 12 rebounds and 13 points? 3 assists. But he shot 46% from line missing 6 on 13 attempts. Game. Miss 4 and we win. He was also torched pretty good on defense but he has no backup. I hear take him out all the time but what is the plan?
He was awful, #'s don't tell the story on that performance. He is what he is, a bench guy who has been forced into a starting role for years do to the state of our program. If we don't address the problem by bringing in a legit center, next season will be more of the same frustration.

Reaction Score
Josh does have vision and has made some nice kick out passes for made baskets this year. We need to help him more when he is on D and not leave him isolated one on one with a big who has a decent post game. On offense he seems to overthink some of his chances and makes things too complicated. My biggest fear is there is no improvement in foul shooting or lowpost field goal percentage over the next season and a half. To win games he needs to get better. Just focus on the simple things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom