Careless fouls | The Boneyard

Careless fouls

Reaction Score
First and foremost, the officiating was terrible last night.

However, they have a habit of making it really easy for the officials to call fouls on us with careless reach ins and fouls. It’s so much easier to call a foul when your at the top of the key reaching in or hedging on a pick and roll then when your driving into the paint. All 3 officials have a clear view of the play when your at the top of the key.

At least 3-5 fouls a game are these reach ins, poor hedges, and poor close outs. Not only are they easy to call, but typically is what puts Carlton, Jalen, and Polley into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Yeah their perimeter D had to be more diciplined

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Carlton twice over-extended on a hedge unnecessarily and was called for 2 blatant blocking fouls. Those type of fouls are unnecessary and inexcusable, happening so far away from the basket. Stuff like that has to be fixed.

Reaction Score
341st of 353 teams in terms of fouls per game (22 fouls/game). While the refs have been bad throughout the season, when it's happening this consistently there is a lot of fault that falls on the team.

This is a very bad stat and likely has cost them 2-3 wins this season.

Reaction Score
I feel like we get called for so many fouls while boxing out. Enoch was the worst at this but now it happens all the time with Cobb.

Reaction Score
334th of 353 in opponent free throw attempts per field goal attempt. Only a handful of teams behind them with winning records (more likely to foul at end of the game if you're losing).

Teams are making an above average % of FTs also, so we're likely fouling guards and good FT shooters too often.

End result is we give up the 13th most percentage of points from the FT line in the country. As has come up in the Jalen drawing fouls discussion, FTs are highly efficient shots, This is a very bad thing. You essentially have to make up for it with live ball steals and turnovers, which we've done somewhat (32nd nationally in opponent TO%).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gilbert for some reason reaching in when we had a guy trapped at halfcourt with I think close to 10 on the shot clock, CV fouling Cumberland on the three that had no chance anyway and Jalen’s 5th were all very careless. I know we all were on the refs but those 3 were on the players and just low basketball IQ. And really hurt us in crunch time (The Cumberland 3 may have been a flop).

Regards to our guys constantly getting called for rebounding fouls: it’s getting really old. It may be that we don’t have bigs with a “physical player” reputation. When other teams jockey for position on the boards and jump through people it’s “physical play”. For our guys it’s fouls. More likely they just haven’t been taught good technique. This killed us worst of all in the USF game. Their guys were treating rebounds like onside kicks but we were playing basketball.

Reaction Score
how many moving screens?? Last year they usually had 2-3 a game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing them take fewer risks early in games to avoid early foul trouble and giving away points at the line. I'm not saying play soft or timid but just be a little conservative/smart. If needed, turn things up to 11 later on. We've put some of our cupcakes into the double bonus in the first ten minutes. Not awesome.

Reaction Score
STOP REACHING -MOVING YOUR FEET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON DEFENSE. Work on this coaches and it will pay dividends. The best teams I have seen this year in high school get there with defense BY MOVING THEIR FEET

Reaction Score
It's a basketball IQ thing -- they don't understand when they can get away with being aggressive vs. when they're begging to be called for a foul.

Reaction Score
It cost them the Cincy game. Dumb fouls.

I agree. That definitely was a big factor. The thing is, whatever the fan's perspective on foul calls, it's irrelevant. If you do not adjust to how the officials are calling the game, it's hard to come out ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom