Caption This - (from the early days of WBB) | The Boneyard

Caption This - (from the early days of WBB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe those college teams in the U.S. should play outdoors. They might get a larger turn-out for their games.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Go to the link to see an impressive photo of Uljana Semjonova, who never lost a game in official international competition.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Maybe those college teams in the U.S. should play outdoors. They might get a larger turn-out for their games.
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't attend the outdoor game between Tennessee and Arizona State. I was in Arizona at the time, so have no excuse.

Reaction Score
View attachment 18329
(click photo for larger image)

[LINK] to source: FIBA.com
I'm not sure any caption of mine could do this justice, however it does remind me of my very first UConn women's game I attended. My freshman year, the fall of 1967, I went to a game (can't remember the opponent) at Hawley Armory where the teams were sporting pinnies, not even uniforms, and there were perhaps two or three others there just standing,no bleachers as I recall (of course I am getting old and senile.) My high school "girls" team had gone undefeated and were quite good ('66-'67 was the year they changed from six man to five man with "boys" rules) so I was shocked at how bad the quality of play was, and the lack of enthusiasm for the women. As I reflect fifty years later, it's safe to say that same lack of enthusiasm and commitment is still prevalent at many D-1 universities !!Thank goodness for John Toner and Geno !!!

Reaction Score
I remember when our class b girl's team traveled deep into the atchafalaya basin to play a class c team who were mostly pentecostal and wore brown knee length skirts and ratty old chuck connors. The gym was a giant quonset hut but only big enough for a half court or maybe they wouldn't let the girls play full court, I can't remember. It was sweltering inside but those big bunned gals burned it up all the same. This was about 1974 or 5 but wouldn't surprise me to learn that it hasn't changed a bit.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fashion went downhill from here.
That's umm, debatable.

Olympics+Day+12+Basketball+-nXeqY2zhtal.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How come their team gets to wear those cute little skirts and we have to wear these ugly shorts?
I was thinking just the opposite. Funny how the human male mind works.

Reaction Score
I was thinking just the opposite. Funny how the human male mind works.
Must be the same gutter---I was going to post: Why do we have to wear these silly mini skirts and they get to wear those attractive shorts!!! Actually i just posted it--didn't I///

Reaction Score
OR --Ma call the military---the martians have really landed and they are chasing a floating globe!!!

Reaction Score
I remember when our class b girl's team traveled deep into the atchafalaya basin to play a class c team who were mostly pentecostal and wore brown knee length skirts and ratty old chuck connors. The gym was a giant quonset hut but only big enough for a half court or maybe they wouldn't let the girls play full court, I can't remember. It was sweltering inside but those big bunned gals burned it up all the same. This was about 1974 or 5 but wouldn't surprise me to learn that it hasn't changed a bit.
INteresting---They wore a ratty old Rifleman? Exactly how is that done?? I suppose women in bunns can do anything.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
INteresting---They wore a ratty old Rifleman? Exactly how is that done?? I suppose women in bunns can do anything.
Bet they were sure shots from long range. Passes were like bullets. Must've been a barrel of fun.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Sure did have a lot of fans watching a women's game back in the day! What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom