Capital Prep...skirts the rules? | The Boneyard

Capital Prep...skirts the rules?

Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The plan also states: "In special circumstances the [school's Governing] Board extends the opportunity to the principal to place a student." The special circumstances that would warrant placing a student are not explained.

Not sure if they skirted the rules. May not look good, and it looks like at points in the past they lied about it, but not sure they actually broke any rules. At least with their Charter.

Reaction Score
The real question is why is there an exclusive school that requires a lottery in the first place. Why not create more schools like it to meet the demand? Yes I actually do know why they don't create similar schools. Unfortunately that would reveal the actual problems inherent in our educational systems institutionalized goal displaced role in respect to society.

Reaction Score
Like everyone knew this activity was going on at this Cheatin' Charter. It's been going on for years, and still is at most of these "highly successful" magnet and charter schools. Also, look at the number of children of teacher's who work at the schools, magically get enrolled. No way all the top athletes get into a school with very limited spaces and many applicants. It's a scam, always have been a scam, and will continue to be a scam.

Reaction Score
The real question is why is there an exclusive school that requires a lottery in the first place. Why not create more schools like it to meet the demand? Yes I actually do know why they don't create similar schools. Unfortunately that would reveal the actual problems inherent in our educational systems institutionalized goal displaced role in respect to society.

Mostly because many of these schools don't actually provide a better education than their public counterparts without skirting the rules. (From Stanford's research on this from Multiple Choice: Charter School Performance in 16 States, on 15th June 200: “[T]he Center for Research on Education Outcomes (CREDO) at Stanford University found that there is a wide variance in the quality of the nation’s several thousand charter schools with, in the aggregate, students in charter schools not faring as well as students in traditional public schools.")

Some charter schools do better, some do worse, and some do the same.

Steve Perry has had his own issues with truth (and yes, I know him).

Reaction Score
Just about every private school in Connecticut recruits players including Capital Prep and The CIAC turns a blind eye. This has been Going on for years. In 1977 I was recruited to play 3 sports for a number of private schools but I didnt go to any of them. Recruiting is illegal according to the CIAC. What a joke they are because the only time they do anything it is just to save face. I was involved a lot of years at this level.

Reaction Score
Just about every private school in Connecticut recruits players including Capital Prep and The CIAC turns a blind eye. This has been Going on for years. In 1977 I was recruited to play 3 sports for a number of private schools but I didnt go to any of them. Recruiting is illegal according to the CIAC. What a joke they are because the only time they do anything it is just to save face. I was involved a lot of years at this level.

Definitely correct about private schools recruiting, although it doesn't apply to all sports and all schools. For example, if you look at the results of Trinity Catholic in the FCIAC, they are near the bottom of the standings in virtually every sport. They recruited very successfully for years in basketball, and even caused a new CIAC rule to be put into place to get them out of Class S for hoops. However now they are just another team. My kids have friends who were aggressively recruited for one sport or another by Immaculate, Fairfield Prep, St. Joes, and Lauralton.

Reaction Score
Definitely correct about private schools recruiting, although it doesn't apply to all sports and all schools. For example, if you look at the results of Trinity Catholic in the FCIAC, they are near the bottom of the standings in virtually every sport. They recruited very successfully for years in basketball, and even caused a new CIAC rule to be put into place to get them out of Class S for hoops. However now they are just another team. My kids have friends who were aggressively recruited for one sport or another by Immaculate, Fairfield Prep, St. Joes, and Lauralton.
Always thought it was a dumb rule.

Reaction Score

But Capital Prep isn't a private school, for what that's worth.

Reaction Score
But Capital Prep isn't a private school, for what that's worth.
No but they are not regulated to take players just from a limited district either. They should forfeit all their games. Cheating is how they won there State Champioships! There are a number of schools in this state that have won SC because they recruit all over Connecticut and it is not the public schools who only can take kids from the schools district. The list is pretty long but the CIAC ignores it.

Reaction Score
No but they are not regulated to take players just from a limited district either. They should forfeit all their games. Cheating is how they won there State Champioships! There are a number of schools in this state that have won SC because they recruit all over Connecticut and it is not the public schools who only can take kids from the schools district. The list is pretty long but the CIAC ignores it.

True-- although I suspect that the CIAC might feel pressured to (finally) take a stand. (At least for now. . . )

Reaction Score
Capitol Prep played the game and lost. They aren't allowed to recruit like a private school because they are a public school. I'm originally from Waterbury. The Magnet Schools there are highly sought after by city kids and their families. The buildings are newer, and in theory, the atmosphere is more conducive to learning. There are established lottery rules which govern how the spots are doled out. Capitol Prep flouted those rules. My guess will be that the CIAC will do their best imitation of the NCAA (and North Carolina) and do nothing.

Reaction Score
Capitol Prep played the game and lost. They aren't allowed to recruit like a private school because they are a public school. I'm originally from Waterbury. The Magnet Schools there are highly sought after by city kids and their families. The buildings are newer, and in theory, the atmosphere is more conducive to learning. There are established lottery rules which govern how the spots are doled out. Capitol Prep flouted those rules. My guess will be that the CIAC will do their best imitation of the NCAA (and North Carolina) and do nothing.

The CIAC has never done anything that was in the best interest of the kids. The whole cabal should have been fired years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom